Suh Most Feared Player in NFL

Huskred

• 7 months later...

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11431870/ndamukong-suh-nfl-great-unknown

Interesting..

'E:60' Preview: Ndamukong Suh

Ndamukong Suh's roots are among the lush green foliage and snow-capped mountains of Portland, Ore., where he would learn his passion for competition by playing the family sport of ... soccer. "E:60" profiles Ndamukong Suh tonight at 7 ET on ESPN2.

DOES ANYONE REALLY know him? Last fall Suh's foundation gave away backpacks to underprivileged children in Omaha. Suh, 27, couldn't be there; he was in the middle of his fourth season with the Lions, during which he'd reinforce his reputation as the dirtiest player in the NFL -- kicking ass, blocking below the belt, eventually bringing his career total of fines and lost wages to $377,169, enough to pay the salary of three scout-team players.

Because Suh is so fascinating, I thought I'd check out his backpack event. It seemed weird, hearing teachers go on about what a positive influence Suh is on these young minds while he was 700 miles away, plotting the annihilation of the quarterback du jour. But it was there, at Fontenelle Elementary, that I met Matt Hickey, a tall blond with Midwestern roots and the smooth savvy of an agent. Hickey is Suh's close friend/financial adviser/confidante. He wants the world to see a different side of Suh and was willing to get me behind the curtain.

He set up a meeting with Suh during the bye week, at a hotel bar off Interstate 80 in Nebraska, near a charity event Suh would attend.

More from The Mag

This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's Sept. 15 Renegades Issue.

Merrill: Does anybody really know Ndamukong Suh?

Watch: E:60 profiles Ndamukong Suh tonight on the season premiere at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

If anyone outside his immediate family can truly peer into the soul of Suh, it's Hickey. He and Suh talk via phone often, and when Suh is in Omaha, he frequently stays at Hickey's house. Sometimes, if he's really tired, he crashes on the couch, and Hickey wakes up the next morning, goes downstairs to get juice out of the fridge and thinks about how odd it is to see a 6-foot-4, 307-pound man who'll make $12.6 million this year sprawled out on his unglamorous tan sofa.

Hickey, who's 35 and a Nebraska alumnus like Suh, has somehow penetrated his very small circle of trust. Suh Instagrammed this summer that he was at a Cubs game #ChillinWithTheBros, and Hickey was one of the bros. (A Packers fan commented, "You're a thug and a disgrace to the NFL.")

The negativity seems to bother Hickey more than it does Suh. When Suh appeared on Sports Illustrated's list of the 35 Most Disliked People in Sports last spring, Hickey scanned the rogues' gallery and was frustrated to see Suh lumped in with the Donald Sterlings and Richie Incognitos of the world. "He's so focused on being the best version of himself every day that he's really not interested in deviating from his course just to please people," Hickey says.

When I arrived at the bar, Suh was mingling with a table full of friends. Dressed in a checkered blazer and navy tie, he looked nothing like the clomping ogre from TV. He was more like a businessman catching happy hour. He had 20 minutes to talk, long enough for me to ask the burning questions, such as what went through his head as his cleat was about to stomp the Packers' Evan Dietrich-Smith during a game on Thanksgiving three years ago, and did he or didn't he mean to kick Texans QB Matt Schaub in the crotch the very next Thanksgiving?

A couple of questions in, it became clear that it didn't matter what I asked. Everything that came out of Suh's mouth was the exact opposite of those moments -- careful, measured. "I would like people to see me through a lens that is unbiased, unfiltered and true," he said. "I wish that people had an opportunity to watch me 24/7, like on Big Brother. You'd see a person who is quiet and reserved and very analytical -- a huge observer."

I offered to take him up on this offer and said I'd love to follow him, for a week, whenever, to understand the real Ndamukong Suh.\

Moar at the link..

That was a great article. I wish some of the people who call him a dirty player would read it. For example, this quote:

His peers, for the most part, don't seem to have a problem with him. Walk into the locker room in Green Bay or Chicago and they'll say they admire Suh's intensity. They'll say he plays the game the way it should be played, going all out on every down.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That was a great article. I wish some of the people who call him a dirty player would read it. For example, this quote:

His peers, for the most part, don't seem to have a problem with him. Walk into the locker room in Green Bay or Chicago and they'll say they admire Suh's intensity. They'll say he plays the game the way it should be played, going all out on every down.

They almost sound a little scared...