Fannie/Freddie Bailout

Should be in the black next month.

At the depths of the economic downturn, the federal government nationalized Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and continued to make good on their debt obligations via a tremendously expensive and broadly unpopular bailout. But as things calmed down and the housing market started to recover, Fannie and Freddie turned profitable and have been kicking those profits back to the Treasury as dividends. In its latest report, Fannie Mae says it earned $84 billion in 2013, and as Nick Timiraos points out, this means the Treasury will soon be in the black on the bailout:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/02/21/fannie_freddie_bailout_big_profits.html

Should be in the black next month.

At the depths of the economic downturn, the federal government nationalized Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and continued to make good on their debt obligations via a tremendously expensive and broadly unpopular bailout. But as things calmed down and the housing market started to recover, Fannie and Freddie turned profitable and have been kicking those profits back to the Treasury as dividends. In its latest report, Fannie Mae says it earned $84 billion in 2013, and as Nick Timiraos points out, this means the Treasury will soon be in the black on the bailout:

http://www.slate.com...ig_profits.html

This is all Obama's fault!

I think in 2009 I purchased stock for Fanny Mae at $1.06 per share. I figured there was no way in hell the government was going to allow this to go totally belly up.

Shortly after that, it went totally off the board and I thought I was screwed on my investment. I totally forgot about and figured the investment was lost. Last last year I noticed that it was back on the board. Today's price is $3.30. Hmmm.....I'm reasonably happy with a 209% growth. :nanalama

Now, reading these articles are making me really happy. If the stock price could get anywhere close to something like $30-50 per share.....I will be singing really really really happy tunes.

Yep....I"m bragging. Thanks Obama.

This is all Obama's fault!

I haven't seen Fox cover it yet . . . can't imagine why?

Wasn't this a Bush administration move in 2008 or am I thinking of an entirley different thing?

Hasn't stopped Republicans from calling it Obama's bailout (at least in relation to the auto industry).

• Fire 1

Wasn't this a Bush administration move in 2008 or am I thinking of an entirley different thing?

It was. For some reason a certain section of the media hasn't been eager to cover good news (particularly when it's government related good news) over the past 5 years or so.

Just asking a question, bud. I really don't care about your feelings for one news source or another.

It was. For some reason a certain section of the media hasn't been eager to cover good news (particularly when it's government related good news) over the past 5 years or so.

Just asking a question, bud. I really don't care about your feelings for one news source or another.

Who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

DUDE GIVES A SIMPLE EXPLANATION, AND YOU TAKE IT TO WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF DICKISHNESS. WOW!!

:(