The history of morality of abortion

Another mental health issue people seem to not mention:

http://www.washingto...ation/?page=all

Abortion does not raise the risk of a woman suffering mental health problems, a major review by experts concludes.

Data from 44 studies showed women with an unwanted pregnancy have a higher incidence of mental health problems in general.

This is not affected by whether or not they have an abortion or give birth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-16094906

. . . but I can understand why Americans United for Life would like to pick and choose statistics to paint a misleading picture.

Johns Hopkins study, if you prefer:

A clear trend emerges from this systematic review: the highest quality studies had findings that were mostly neutral, suggesting few, if any, differences between women who had abortions and their respective comparison groups in terms of mental health sequelae.

http://www.contracep...e/S0010-7824(08)00369-7/abstract (Abstract only, find a friend/spouse with a PubMed account. ;))

Which gets to my point of fixing the problems that cause the need for abortions. I would prefer to focus on mental health issues and self esteem issues in women. Many times, this causes them to be in relationships that are unhealthy for them and with pathetic excuses of men who don't give a flying crap about them, they get pregnant and then feel desperate when that man doesn't stay with them...then they see abortion as the way out of the problem.

But....anytime I bring this up it gets twisted around as me just wanting to control women and me forcing my anti-abortion views on other people.

Abortion is a sad symptom of much larger problems.

Holding men accountable for the babies they produce would be a major step in the right direction also.

Fix the problems that lead to abortion and the abortion rate goes down. I would think that would be something we all could get behind. But, the political sides gain too much from keeping us apart.

Holding men accountable for the babies they produce would be a major step in the right direction also.

What do you have in mind?

Fix the problems that lead to abortion and the abortion rate goes down. I would think that would be something we all could get behind. But, the political sides gain too much from keeping us apart.

The easiest step down that road would probably be improved access to contraception, right?

What else would you suggest?

The easiest step down that road would probably be improved access to contraception, right?

This is a complex question because....well, because we're human beings and we're all sorts of messed up inside, and how can you institutionally implement ways to improve people's self-worth, for example?

I am sure there are all kinds of practical examples such as access to contraceptions, better sex education, etc., but at the end of the day we're all still broken people and it will take more than programs and policies to find victory here, the same way that outlawing slavery and the civil rights movement haven't fixed racial inequality and oppression.

This is a complex question because....well, because we're human beings and we're all sorts of messed up inside, and how can you institutionally implement ways to improve people's self-worth, for example?

I am sure there are all kinds of practical examples such as access to contraceptions, better sex education, etc., but at the end of the day we're all still broken people and it will take more than programs and policies to find victory here, the same way that outlawing slavery and the civil rights movement haven't fixed racial inequality and oppression.

Agreed . . . but complexity and difficulty are obstacles and not excuses for inaction. I know that there won't be a silver bullet but what specifically should we be doing?

Agreed . . . but complexity and difficulty are obstacles and not excuses for inaction. I know that there won't be a silver bullet but what specifically should we be doing?

Well, it would help to identify the common chain of events that leads up to a decision like this. Hmm.

Well, one side of me thinks that if a guy has one illegitimate child you take one nut. If he has a second, you take the other nut.

But, I'm sure I wouldn't get too much support for that.

I would be interested in looking into ways to hold men more accountable for when they get a woman pregnant. How about if legally, we give women more power to prove who the father is, then, give them more power to make that man support the child financially until the child is 18?

I would be interested in seeing a statistic of women who have an abortion and what percentage come from a single parent home. Are most of these women mostly coming from homes where their mom had a child from a pathetic excuse of a human being and so the daughter grows up thinking that is the way relationships work?

It is just way too easy for a man to go screw a woman and have absolutely no responsibility to the child he then produced nor the ramifications it leaves the woman with.

Well, one side of me thinks that if a guy has one illegitimate child you take one nut. If he has a second, you take the other nut.

:huh:

I would be interested in looking into ways to hold men more accountable for when they get a woman pregnant. How about if legally, we give women more power to prove who the father is, then, give them more power to make that man support the child financially until the child is 18?

That exists already . . .

It is just way too easy for a man to go screw a woman and have absolutely no responsibility to the child he then produced nor the ramifications it leaves the woman with.

That's not really true as far as financial support.

:huh:

That exists already . . .

That's not really true as far as financial support.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not going to be able to talk intelligently about specific law as it is today. However, the important word in my post was "MORE".

When a woman finds herself alone and in this mess, is there ways she is educated on her options to make the man held responsible?

If that isn't an option then I stand by my first option. The guy only has to decide left or right goes first.

When a woman finds herself alone and in this mess, is there ways she is educated on her options to make the man held responsible?

Yes. For example: http://dhhs.ne.gov/c...cesOffered.aspx

Questions - If I am an 18 year old girl in small town Nebraska and I find myself pregnant and the guy that I think got me pregnant doesn't claim the kid:

1) How do I find out these options?

2) What process do I need to go through to get the guy I think is the father tested in the paternity test?

Questions - If I am an 18 year old girl in small town Nebraska and I find myself pregnant and the guy that I think got me pregnant doesn't claim the kid:

Friends, family, the internet, flyers, your OB doc, your hospital, etc.

2) What process do I need to go through to get the guy I think is the father tested in the paternity test?

First, go to your county courthouse, then:

When there is not a signed Acknowledgment of Paternity form and the alleged father does not believe he is the biological parent, the Child Support Program will help take steps, such as genetic testing, to determine whether he is the father.

These genetic tests are simple, accurate and will determine if the man tested has the genetic markers required to be the biological father. Genetic tests are completed by obtaining saliva from the mouth (buccal swab).

Genetic tests can be requested by the mother, father, child or the court. In most cases, the state is required to do genetic testing if the child's father has not been legally determined.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/c...ternityEst.aspx

Friends, family, the internet, flyers, your OB doc, your hospital, etc.

First, go to your county courthouse, then:

When there is not a signed Acknowledgment of Paternity form and the alleged father does not believe he is the biological parent, the Child Support Program will help take steps, such as genetic testing, to determine whether he is the father.

These genetic tests are simple, accurate and will determine if the man tested has the genetic markers required to be the biological father. Genetic tests are completed by obtaining saliva from the mouth (buccal swab).

Genetic tests can be requested by the mother, father, child or the court. In most cases, the state is required to do genetic testing if the child's father has not been legally determined.

http://dhhs.ne.gov/c...ternityEst.aspx

What does the mother have to do if the guy she thinks is the father refuses to take the test and denies he is the father?