Repubs Agenda

Yes Carl, I specifically pointed out that many of the bills certainly are just that. But as usual, you fail to acknowledge the salient point about those that have merit.

I don't think that you get to take the moral high ground here. If you wanted to talk about the bills that have merit that haven't passed the Senate you would have talked about those bills. Instead you threw out a bogus number for shock value. C'est la vie.

And, by the way, since you defend the indefensible Reid, how about you list anyone you consider worse.......

Instead, why don't you back up your claim why Reid is the most vile and partisan instead of asking me to disprove it.

Yes Carl, I specifically pointed out that many of the bills certainly are just that. But as usual, you fail to acknowledge the salient point about those that have merit.

I don't think that you get to take the moral high ground here. If you wanted to talk about the bills that have merit that haven't passed the Senate you would have talked about those bills. Instead you threw out a bogus number for shock value. C'est la vie.

And, by the way, since you defend the indefensible Reid, how about you list anyone you consider worse.......

Instead, why don't you back up your claim why Reid is the most vile and partisan instead of asking me to disprove it.

Hardly a bogus number,

This summer I had occasion to engage Senator Barrasso (R-Wyo) for a little one-on-one about D.C. dysfunction.

If you are unfamiliar with the Senator, he is an orthopedic surgeon as well as a respected modulated voice in the Senate and certainly not someone to be tarred with the “extremist” label so favored by some on the left who hurl the accusation at virtually anyone who doesn’t agree with their world view.

He spends virtually every weekend criss-crossing Wyoming staying in touch with constituents. To cover that much territory requires a lot of small plane travel and time away from his family, but he admirably understands the necessity of keeping abreast of, and in touch with, local issues. (There is a grim reality, dubbed the Wellstone corollary, that ghoulishly speaks to the risk involved). In fact, I have numerous times heard that the leading cause of death among sitting Senators is aircraft fatalities.

When I pressed him about the lack of debate, compromise and action throughout Congress, he lamented the fact that the media continually fails to point out that Harry Reid plays a huge role in the intractable congress. That is when he told me about the 360 bills. I had of course heard it before, but it seemed so much more forceful when delivered in person by a statesman relaying the frustration.

My point is that it seems to me that any ONE such Senator having SO much control is debilitating and damaging to the institution, regardless of party.

Lost in that incredibly touching wall of text is the fact that 360 IS AN AVERAGE NUMBER OF BILLS

Lost in that incredible response is that 360 WERE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO BE READ ON THE FLOOR............LET ALONE DISCUSSED, AMENDED OR ARGUED...........

Hardly a bogus number, . .. That is when he told me about the 360 bills. I had of course heard it before, but it seemed so much more forceful when delivered in person by a statesman relaying the frustration.

Yes. A bogus number. Inarguably so, unless you're trying to argue that 40+ votes repealing the ACA are meritorious and worthy of discussion.

Also, did you just take the senator's word for it?

Lost in that incredible response is that 360 WERE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO BE READ ON THE FLOOR............LET ALONE DISCUSSED, AMENDED OR ARGUED...........

How many were assigned to committee? You talk like you've read up on the subject but I'm wondering how deep that knowledge goes.

Prove it up. I think that so far you've said that Reid is the most vile and partisan person man in Washington and that 360+ House passed bills died on his desk with no action taken . . . and you seem to be trying to argue that this is outside of the historical norm.

Shouldn't be hard to provide evidence if it exists.

• Fire 4

Hardly a bogus number, . .. That is when he told me about the 360 bills. I had of course heard it before, but it seemed so much more forceful when delivered in person by a statesman relaying the frustration.

Yes. A bogus number. Inarguably so, unless you're trying to argue that 40+ votes repealing the ACA are meritorious and worthy of discussion.

Also, did you just take the senator's word for it?

How many were assigned to committee? You talk like you've read up on the subject but I'm wondering how deep that knowledge goes.

Prove it up. I think that so far you've said that Reid is the most vile and partisan person man in Washington and that 360+ House passed bills died on his desk with no action taken . . . and you seem to be trying to argue that this is outside of the historical norm.

Shouldn't be hard to provide evidence if it exists.

The 360 number is widely quoted .........even by the mainstream press. I was just giving it added emphasis because a face to face account seems to add a little veracity to almost any situation.

If you disagree, so be it.

As for Reid, I would bet you Husker season tickets that if there was a blind vote in the Senate about who best fit the "vile" description, it would be Reid; even among the dems.

(I didn't choose the adjective lightly; if you've followed his career at all, you'd understand why)

Notice, however, that I didn't single him out for total incompetence. In truth, he is one of the best parliamentarians the Senate has ever had. That skill, along with his ruthless ability to hold his caucus together makes him formidable indeed. In that respect, he is similar to Speaker Pelosi. Although she is prone to some almost inconceivable sound bites, she is extremely skillful at House rules and maintaining discipline on fellow dems.

Of course, both of them have the added bonus of being prodigious fundraisers to help secure and maintain their respective positions.

For what it's worth, the new Majority Leader (McConnell) exhibits the same talents: Hugh fundraising abilities, historical knowledge of the Senate and great parliamentary skills.

Doesn't make him a great person.

The 360 number is widely quoted .........even by the mainstream press. . . .

Now we're getting somewhere. The above is a wonderful example of proof by assertion but saying something many times does not make it true or significant.

As for Reid, I would bet you Husker season tickets that if there was a blind vote in the Senate about who best fit the "vile" description, it would be Reid; even among the dems.

Doubt it.
  • Fire 1

The 360 number is widely quoted .........even by the mainstream press. . . .

Now we're getting somewhere. The above is a wonderful example of proof by assertion but saying something many times does not make it true or significant.

Doubt it.

Go ahead and doubt to your heart's content.....it's a free country :D

And you're still free to back up any of the statements you made with substantiated facts, or not, it's up to you. Free country.

Why would he do that? Fox News doesn't.

Ah, therein lies the issue.....

You don't believe Fox has facts, conservatives don't trust the "facts" from Huffpo or msnbc or bluenation, etc. Snoops is thought to have leftist bias, widipidia complains others can alter posted information..........etc.

Who really is an unimpeachable source trusted by all? There doesn't seem to be one.

I thought a person to person exchange might have a bit more veracity, but Carl asked if I believed the Senator; evidently insinuating that he lied to me face to face.

So again I ask..............what sort of "fact" or "source" might be acceptable?

Serious question.

In lieu of an agreed-upon answer, we seem destined to offer our opinions and let folks trash them or agree as they choose.

Kind of a sad commentary on any type of movement towards honest debate.

I thought a person to person exchange might have a bit more veracity, but Carl asked if I believed the Senator; evidently insinuating that he lied to me face to face.

I can probably clear that up for you without the insinuation: he was either lying to your face or spinning half-truths . . . which is the same thing.

The number 360 hasn't been disputed; its meaning and significance has. Saying that it's been widely quoted in the media is exactly repeating the claim, without supporting its interpretation.

You can't find it too shocking that a Republican congressman would state that he feels a Democrat is responsible for the gridlock or that there isn't enough media attention devoted to Democrat shortcomings.

• Fire 1

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/11/boehners-bipartisan-bunk/

The list contains dozens of ceremonial or parochial bills including 31 bills to name or rename post offices or federal buildings, at least nine bills to authorize a study, such as whether Mill Springs Battlefield in Kentucky should be included in the National Park System, and at least 13 that deal with federal land (transferring or exchanging, or expanding boundaries, for example). There are also two bills to strike commemorative coins, and a third to award a gold medal to golfer Jack Nicklaus.

We also found 21 bills that actually became law through other vehicles, including 10 appropriations bills that became part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2014.

The list also contains five concurrent resolutions, which are nonbinding and do not go to the president, and two bills (HR 4250 and HR 5161) that had Senate-approved versions waiting for action in the House.

We spent way too much time poring through the list, but the examples above add up to 84 bills and resolutions that either shouldnt be on the list or would have little or no impact on the course of the nation.

We do not doubt that some of the 387 bills on McCarthys list are substantive and that some of the 46 bills on Boehners list may help the economy. But any suggestion that there are 387 bills being ignored that could grow our economy or even would help the country is an exaggeration, and so is the speakers statement that almost all of the 46 jobs bills are bipartisan.

• Fire 2