Canzano: Will Nebraska coach Mike Riley honor his promise...?

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/12/canzano_will_nebraska_coach_mi.html

Canzano: Will Nebraska coach Mike Riley honor his promise to alleged sex-assault survivor?

My son's tell me that Nebraska is a great move for him and that it's a great program. I hope this is true. When you speak to him please let him know that I wish the best for him and his family. My intention today is the same as it was in the beginning - Healing for myself, healing for others and repair of a system that is broken."

That was a troll piece worthy of one of our local writers. Kudos, Mr. Canzano, for getting in a last parting shot at a coach he didn't like. I can't wait for similar last words on old grudges to be published from east of Lincoln.

This alleged assault took place 16 years ago. I have no idea why the woman didn't bring charges (maybe a Winston-esque coverup, maybe a Duke Lacrosse thing) but the implication that Riley is ducking out on her by coming to Nebraska, more than a decade and a half since the allegations were brought, is absurd. 16 years is more than ample time to reach out to the university if she would like to speak to the team.

From the comments:

"Will the Huskers coach Riley honor his promise?"

John, is your last sentence not a bit ridiculous? Since he's no longer with OSU, what conceivable way could Riley "honor his promise"?

To which Mr. Canzano replies:

I'd hope, minimally, he'd bring her to Nebraska next spring to talk with his new team. I'd also hope his parting wouldn't come without Riley making a call to Ed Ray, mentioning how important this might be to him. Thanks for the post.

I have nothing against Riley bringing the lady here to talk to the team about what it's like to be a victim of an assault. Certainly it's a message every guy their age (heck, any age) could stand to hear. But it isn't a burden our team has an obligation to bear, and Riley's obligation to giving this woman a platform does not extend to his new team.

The onus is on the OSU administration to give her a voice, not Nebraska's. The allegations stem from Corvallis, not Lincoln.

• Fire 3

I understand your sentiment, Knapp.

But If the new guy is half the man he's been reported to be, he'll continue his relationship with her and allow her to speak to this team.

As you pointed out, it can only benefit all involved, and if it helps to stop just one assault, it'll be worth it.

• Fire 4

But If the new guy is half the man he's been reported to be, he'll continue his relationship with her and allow her to speak to this team.

As you pointed out, it can only benefit all involved, and if it helps to stop just one assault, it'll be worth it.

Doesn't Nebraska already have someone that talks to the team about this? From the Christian Peter thing?

Doesn't Nebraska already have someone that talks to the team about this? From the Christian Peter thing?
I can't recall if she does or not. I remember reading an article on her a while back where it seems as if she has moved on with her life and has had some sort of understanding with TO. I can't recall everything, but i think she moved to Colorado and married a former football player.

Either way, if she's still involved with our program or not, Id welcome one or both of these ladies to be a positive influence on the players in our program

I can't recall if she does or not. I remember reading an article on her a while back where it seems as if she has moved on with her life and has had some sort of understanding with TO. I can't recall everything, but i think she moved to Colorado and married a former football player.

Either way, if she's still involved with our program or not, Id welcome one or both of these ladies to be a positive influence on the players in our program

Absolutely. I was just curious

Absolutely. I was just curious
Coolio