Callahan apparantly does care about academics

Edited & moved to Offending Posts thread

YIKES!!!!!

IMO it does not matter who is coaching whose recruits. You still have to discipline and watch over the athletes to make sure they are doing their job in the classroom. To say that the only reason some of these kids made the grades they did was b/c they are drunken Frank's recruits is absolutely INSANE! Get a grip and get a life. Frank is gone and will NEVER be back. The new MAN is in charge and if you don't like it, get the hell out of Husker Nation!!!!

Edited & moved to Offending Posts thread

YIKES!!!!!

IMO it does not matter who is coaching whose recruits. You still have to discipline and watch over the athletes to make sure they are doing their job in the classroom. To say that the only reason some of these kids made the grades they did was b/c they are drunken Frank's recruits is absolutely INSANE! Get a grip and get a life. Frank is gone and will NEVER be back. The new MAN is in charge and if you don't like it, get the hell out of Husker Nation!!!!

For some reason I just want to slap the f#*k out of a lot of the fans we have - They've had it so good for so long 3 down years isn't gonna hurt us. WE WILL BE BACK probally sooner than everyone thinks. :restore2

First of all, I made the thread, and I havent fudged any facts. Fact for you... Brandenburgh was indeed originally recruited by Solich, but that recruiting was continued by Callahan, and a scholorship offer was officially extended to him by Callahan after Solich was gone. I never mentioned Phillips, that was someone else. Christiansan was the sixth guy I was talking about, how was part of the 04 class. As far as grade inflation goes, it has no part in this debate seeing as how all players, whether brought here by Callahan or Solich, attend the same institution and should benefit from said grade inflation. The question being answered was whether or not academics would suffer under Callahan due to his recruitiment of players that other people apparantly think arent as bright as the ones who were here before. Obviously they have not, and that is further reflected by the fact that there have been no players who have become academically ineligible since they got here. Read the post before you attack the poster moron.

Given what grade inflation is at NU and other state schools, I'm not that impressed by most of the GPA's that these athletes put together.

Is there anyway you can prove or disprove that? Or is that just an off-the-cuff remark based upon opinion? I don't understand how you could possibly quantify what you just said. :wacko: Like you just said, if you are going to post, get your FACTS straight. :thumbs

Touchy aren't we...There's plenty of evidence for grade inflation throughout the college system

http://gradeinflation.com/nation2.html

http://gradeinflation.com/nation1.html

http://www.newsnetnebraska.org/vnews/displ...8/4355440dd4ee4

The poster I replied to said that GPA had improved under Callahan. That wouldn't be surprising if the overall GPA for the university had risen by a tenth of a point in the past decade as indicated in the last article. The only way to accurately say they were doing BETTER is to show that they were at a higher rank versus their peers than under Solich and/or that they were selecting more difficult degrees.

Touchy aren't we...There's plenty of evidence for grade inflation throughout the college system

The poster I replied to said that GPA had improved under Callahan. That wouldn't be surprising if the overall GPA for the university had risen by a tenth of a point in the past decade as indicated in the last article.

Touchy? I just think someone who puts the word "wisdom" in their user name, implying that they bring "wisdom" to the table, would come with a better post than that after attempting to cut another poster down for lack of accuracy and perspective.

Those first 2 links basically say nothing. No evidence of the info they gathered, no explanation, no description of circumstances. AKA, a very poor study to refer to and very very weak. Did you even read that last article you posted? I found this interesting:

Another reason why GPAs rose could be that in 1997, UNL went from being an institution with "pretty open admissions standards" to requiring more preparation in math, science and foreign language as well as higher ACT scores, said Alan Cerveny, dean of admissions.

Again, pretty much everything about grade inflation is 'opinion' and 'theory', not fact.

There is as much or more evidence to students being better prepared for college now than 20 years ago as there is for Universities lowering their grading standards.

The only way to accurately say they were doing BETTER is to show that they were at a higher rank versus their peers than under Solich and/or that they were selecting more difficult degrees.

I am pretty sure that this is the central point to the entire post and from what I have read, that is the case. If GPA has gone up in the past 2 years, since Solich has been gone, that really doesn't do much for your theory of the inflation over the past 10-20 years. As far as selecting more difficult degrees? That is debatable at best and there is no way of proving that.

For those of you who think that the tradition of academic excellence for athletes wont continue under Callahan, ponder the big twelve honor roll. 31 Huskers were named to the big twelve honor roll for those who have earned a 3.0 gpa or better, and 16 of them are freshman or sophomores, all of which were part of Callahan's recruiting classes.

Nebraska Football Fall Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll Selections (31)

*-indicates 4.0 semester

Name, Pos.                              Yr.      # of Honor Roll Selections

Titus Adams, DT                        Sr.        3

Harrison Beck, QB                    Fr.        1

Bryan Benzel, LS*                    Fr.        1

Lance Brandenburgh, LB            So.      3

Chris Bryant, DT                        Sr.        3

Daniel Bullocks, SS*                  Sr.        1

Wes Cammack, WR*                Fr.        1

Adam Carriker, DE                    Jr.        3

Andy Christensen, OL                RFr.      2

Jordan Congdon, PK                  Fr.        1

Tyler Fisher, DB                        Sr.        5

Andy Kadavy, LB                      Jr.        4

Sam Koch, P                            Sr.        2

Newton Lingenfelter, OL              Jr.        5

Kevin Luhrs, DE                        So.      5

Kurt Mann, C*                            Jr.        7

Josh Mueller, TE                        So.      3

Matt O’Hanlon, SS                    RFr.      2

Todd Peterson, WR                    RFr.      3

J.B. Phillips, TE                        So.      3

Zach Potter, DE                        Fr.        1

Brandon Rigoni, SS                    Jr.        7

Craig Roark, OL                        Fr.        1

Joey Robison, DB                      Sr.        7

Andy Sand, TE                          So.      4

Andrew Shanle, SS                    Jr.        5

Mike Stuntz, DB                        Sr.        9

Blake Tiedtke, FS                      Sr.        9

Dan Titchener, P                        RFr.      3

Dane Todd, FB                          Jr.        7

Tyler Wortman, LB                    RFr.      3

link http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...0&ATCLID=235874

and what 3 out of all of those are callahan scholarship recruits. The rest are either franks or walk ons.

Again he speaketh before his brain worketh!

As I said, I don't really care about these lists because they really mean so little. Think about this. The AVERAGE GPA at NU is 3.1 as of Fall 2004. What does it mean that we are giving "awards" to students that are better than 3.0? That isn't even meeting the average score at NU. Is that supposed to impress people and convince them that we have a team of Scholar-Athletes? To me it demeans the efforts of the true scholar athletes. We had several kids get 4.0's during that quarter, and in the past we've also had people who did wonderful work in difficult degrees (Kyle Vandon Bosch, Scott Strassburger, etc, etc.) So don't try to impress me that some kids did AVERAGE work for a quarter.

For me it has nothing to do with Callahan or Solich, it has to do with lowering standards SO FAR that AVERAGE (Actually, LESS than average) becomes honor roll. yech!

And as far as above, someone listed players in a way that implied that they were all Callahan's recruits, I replied to clarify the circumstances of their recruitment and didn't comment one way or the other until some other jerk attacked me for my reply.

The poster I replied to said that GPA had improved under Callahan. That wouldn't be surprising if the overall GPA for the university had risen by a tenth of a point in the past decade as indicated in the last article.

Touchy? I just think someone who puts the word "wisdom" in their user name, implying that they bring "wisdom" to the table, would come with a better post than that after attempting to cut another poster down for lack of accuracy and perspective.

Those first 2 links basically say nothing. No evidence of the info they gathered, no explanation, no description of circumstances. AKA, a very poor study to refer to and very very weak. Did you even read that last article you posted? I found this interesting:

Another reason why GPAs rose could be that in 1997, UNL went from being an institution with "pretty open admissions standards" to requiring more preparation in math, science and foreign language as well as higher ACT scores, said Alan Cerveny, dean of admissions.

Again, pretty much everything about grade inflation is 'opinion' and 'theory', not fact.

There is as much or more evidence to students being better prepared for college now than 20 years ago as there is for Universities lowering their grading standards.

The only way to accurately say they were doing BETTER is to show that they were at a higher rank versus their peers than under Solich and/or that they were selecting more difficult degrees.

I am pretty sure that this is the central point to the entire post and from what I have read, that is the case. If GPA has gone up in the past 2 years, since Solich has been gone, that really doesn't do much for your theory of the inflation over the past 10-20 years. As far as selecting more difficult degrees? That is debatable at best and there is no way of proving that.

In the first two links, the source of the data was clearly stated. Haven't you heard of Google? or are the academic standards there worse than I thought that you haven't learned to do to do even the most minimal amounts of research?

In the first two links, the source of the data was clearly stated.

Click on those links and try and figure out where those numbers came from. :dumdum

Haven't you heard of Google?

Yes, it is a very valuable search engine.

or are the academic standards there worse than I thought that you haven't learned to do to do even the most minimal amounts of research?

Again, click on those links and tell me where those 4 columns of data came from. What you read might be very valuable and provide good proof for your argument, but those links tell me nothing.

If I were you, I wouldn't be implying the unintelligence of another in your post when it is obvious that you did not even read and comprehend the article that you posted. If you wanna continue down that road, take it to the woodshed. :box

And as far as above, someone listed players in a way that implied that they were all Callahan's recruits, I replied to clarify the circumstances of their recruitment and didn't comment one way or the other until some other jerk attacked me for my reply.

I don't recall "attacking" your reply, I merely said:

What difference does it make who's recruits are who's? They are all Huskers and since Callahan has become head coach, the team's Grade Point Average has improved. FACT. End of story.

I am sorry you are so sensitive and have to result to name calling.

Link #1: http://gradeinflation.com/nation2.html

Source: Source: Levine,Arthur and Cureton,Jeanette S.1998.When Hope and Fear Collide:A Portrait of Today’s College Student. San Francisco:Jossey-B

Link #2: http://gradeinflation.com/nation1.html

Source: Kuh,George and Hu,Shouping.1999.“Unraveling the Complexity of the Increase in College Grades from the Mid-1980s to the Mid-1990s.”

Either of those sources could yield numerous references and links on google to the original docs and commentary.

the top-level site for those statistics combines some general trend information

http://gradeinflation.com/

I read and comprehended the third article. Interesting to me that you hooked onto the dissenting viewpoint that was put in for balance. I didn't mind linking to an article that had a dissenting viewpoing because I assumed that people are intelligent enough to read it and decide themselves. Maybe I assumed too much. It certainly is interesting that all of the other Big 12 schools had seen a similar rise in average GPA's despite not doing anything to their standards... Maybe UNL is just recruiting Rhodes scholars these days.

Overall though, anyone who thinks that there hasn't been any grade inflation in colleges and universities just isn't paying attention. Call your local sociology department, or better yet, check out the references for the data sets that are posted above. The data is both complete and almost overwhelming that there has been tremendous grade inflation from the 60's until today.

Link #1: http://gradeinflation.com/nation2.html

Source: Source: Levine,Arthur and Cureton,Jeanette S.1998.When Hope and Fear Collide:A Portrait of Today’s College Student. San Francisco:Jossey-B

Link #2: http://gradeinflation.com/nation1.html

Source: Kuh,George and Hu,Shouping.1999.“Unraveling the Complexity of the Increase in College Grades from the Mid-1980s to the Mid-1990s.”

Either of those sources could yield numerous references and links on google to the original docs and commentary.

the top-level site for those statistics combines some general trend information

http://gradeinflation.com/

I don't understand why I should have to search on google to try and find the basis for what you have posted for it to hold any water. If you want anyone to see your point of view, BACK IT UP with FACTS! Not vague studies with no links as to where or how the data was derived.

I think this quote pretty much sums it up best:

There are studies that support both sides of that debate, he said.

It all depends on what side you fall on it. There are plenty of theories as to why grades have risen, ON THE WHOLE, but the issue at hand here was the rise in GPA from 2003-2004 and now 2005. I don't think that the GPA's have suddenly been inflated in the past year to reflect the rise in the team GPA. Take it or leave it, I'm done.