OWH: Great Expectations Gone, Webster Goes from Worst of Times to Best

Mavric

Then came the moment of his career. Webster caught the ball on the left wing, took one right-handed dribble, crossed over on Spartan defender Travis Trice (thus, the “oooooo”) and fired a contested 3. Bang. Right in front of Tom Izzo.

“I just saw an opening, so why not?” Webster said. “I was feeling it. I was in the zone.”
In the zone, huh. In the zone? That statement is a testament to how far Webster has come in only three weeks. That statement is a tribute to the resilience of a 19-year-old kid who traveled halfway around the world to eat humble pie. That statement is a sign of hope for Nebraska’s season.
Let’s put that 3-pointer in context. You know the last time Webster had made a 3? Dec. 13 against Cincinnati. Six weeks! You know how many points Webster had scored in 82 total minutes since Dec. 13? Five.
But even that doesn’t complete the picture. To get it, you had to see Webster — an hour after Nebraska’s white-knuckle win over Michigan State — standing in a cold concrete hallway inside Pinnacle Bank Arena in his orange socks, a grin plastered on his face. You had to listen to his description of rock bottom.
Jan. 5. At Iowa. Webster made the latest in a string of mistakes, took a seat on the bench and never heard his name again.
“I just thought to myself, ‘Oh s---. This is what it’s come to now. I’m not even in the rotation anymore.’”
The burden of expectations had weighed on him since he arrived from New Zealand in 2013. Webster tried to ignore it, but he knew he was a disappointment on the verge of full-fledged failure.

Link

"I just saw an opening so why not..."

Tai has seen a sh#t ton of openings in his short career here. But for whatever reason has never seemed to have the swagger to pull the trigger. But Saturday it appeared that light came on a bit for this guy.

Hopefully it stays on!

Sometimes you just see it with a guy. He was called out after that Iowa game. If you havent watched that episode of The Journey, I suggest you check it out. Then he was MIA for couple games, but now these last two, in important wins, has come in and provided a spark and played a rather significant roll.

"I just saw an opening so why not..."

Tai has seen a sh#t ton of openings in his short career here. But for whatever reason has never seemed to have the swagger to pull the trigger. But Saturday it appeared that light came on a bit for this guy.

Hopefully it stays on!

Sometimes you just see it with a guy. He was called out after that Iowa game. If you havent watched that episode of The Journey, I suggest you check it out. Then he was MIA for couple games, but now these last two, in important wins, has come in and provided a spark and played a rather significant roll.

Agree. The end of the bench may have given him time to evaluate.