Mike Riley’s Run-Pass Splits

Saunders

50-50 is where I'd like it. That's quite a lot of passing.

Assuming we average around 75-80 snaps a game, I don't think I'll be much of a fan of heaving the rock 40 times a game especially in mid to late November.

This gets so overplayed. And its mostly a creation of media and analysts who played down south. Most northern teams made a living in pro-style offenses forever.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning get better in November.

In Green Bay, Boston and Denver.

I live in Denver. The weather here is generally quite mild in November and December.

Green Bay and Boston are your only good examples here.

It's hard to gauge anything from these numbers. Were the throwing numbers higher last year because they were trying to come from behind? What about trying to run out the clock? I suppose it all averages out.

The only thing I'm sure of is that Riley and his staff have shown a willingness to adapt based on the players they have, good RBs? they would run more. Good QB? pass more. This makes a lot of sense to me and I find it comforting.

For that reason, my hunch is that our offense won't be too dissimilar to last years offense because that's what these kids know and are good at. I know that's a scary thought for some. As years go on though you'll see more adjustment and change based on the kids they can bring in.

I have a hunch we won't see too much significant change either. I think some football nuts crazy about X's and O's will notice the change, but the general concepts these kids already know. This isn't 2004 where our best choice at QB was terrified out of his mind because he couldn't understand wtf "4 verts" meant (you could probably argue Cosgrove didn't know what that was either... ha!). Beck has a strong understanding of football. I know we like to pick on Beck (myself picking on him a lot) but he had a stronger understanding of how to coach so many different things, such as west coast concepts from working under Watson when he was our OC. He also utilized some of those concepts in his own scheme. And working under guys like Mangino, you learn so many different things, and learn how to apply them.

What we as fans will see is more "QB under center", which may seem like a significant change (schematically it is) but it doesn't change how these players apply their current knowledge and skills to the game they played previously under Beck.

Will the offense "look" different? Yes, because we won't be running out of shotgun spread 90%+ each game. Will it actually be drastically different? Not really. More 5-7 step drops.

I have a feeling this transition could be positive. Danny L ran his system for years. He and Riley have a stronger understanding of how to apply it and coach it, they'd been doing it for years. Beck had a unique offense that had so many elements. He understood it, but he may not have a strong understanding of how to apply it and coach it as well as the crew we have now, but only because it was his first go 'round. Overall, I'm looking forward to possibly playing cleaner football.

Good points, I liked Beck too, sort of a scary thing to admit to around here, but one thing I think will be nice is we will have someone who has a proven track record of developing QBs even at the pro level.

50-50 is where I'd like it. That's quite a lot of passing.

Assuming we average around 75-80 snaps a game, I don't think I'll be much of a fan of heaving the rock 40 times a game especially in mid to late November.

This gets so overplayed. And its mostly a creation of media and analysts who played down south. Most northern teams made a living in pro-style offenses forever.

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning get better in November.

In Green Bay, Boston and Denver.

I live in Denver. The weather here is generally quite mild in November and December.

Green Bay and Boston are your only good examples here.

oh okay so just the NFL MVP and Super Bowl champion, then.