OL in the spring game

Related to the RB thread - Offensive line play. It has a lot to do in evaluating the backs. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it as much during the game. How do you think the OL did? I'd like to hear your thoughts - did you see any major blocking difference in technique, etc?

There was a near "Cotton falls on butt" penalty in the 2nd half. The RT I believe looked like he was about to go over backwards but caught himself just in time for a 'normal 5 yard penalty. I think Bush was QB at the time.

• Fire 2

I haven't had a chance to watch more than a few plays of the spring game. But, I wanted to point out one that I did see that got me excited.

I think it was on Taylor's TD from something like 15 yards out. I liked what I saw from the O line on that play. The right side of the line collapsed the D line and the center pulled to lead the blocking around the end. It also actually looked like we had a pretty athletic center to do what he did. I don't know who it was.

I know it was just one play of a scrimmage. But, I liked what I saw.

I didn't get to look into the OL play too much, and I haven't heard too much either (if someone has heard a podcast or seen an article written about it, please link!)

I've seen some people circumstantially say 'the OL for once looked like they were playing with technique.' I don't know enough about OL schemes and performance to really say one way or the other, I just find I'm good at picking out the result. For example, one reason I always thought our OL play the last few years was average to slightly above average was because of our back's having to consistently dodge tacklers in the backfield. I also know A TON of former players and coaches remarked the previous O lines had abysmal technique at times.

I haven't had a chance to watch more than a few plays of the spring game. But, I wanted to point out one that I did see that got me excited.

I think it was on Taylor's TD from something like 15 yards out. I liked what I saw from the O line on that play. The right side of the line collapsed the D line and the center pulled to lead the blocking around the end. It also actually looked like we had a pretty athletic center to do what he did. I don't know who it was.

I know it was just one play of a scrimmage. But, I liked what I saw.

I remember that play. - When a center or guard is leading the blocking around the end it reminds me of the good old days of the pipeline.

I thought most of the guys (that will likely play in the fall) looked pretty good. The defense was really vanilla though so it's tough to get a read on how they would have handled different looks and pressure.

Some good pieces are there imo.

I heard things on both sides were pretty vanilla (as they usually are), but, we heard all spring at the defensive line was pretty much going to town on the offensive line at some points. Perhaps when things go live and the line has to pick-up more complicated defensive schemes, they'll break down a bit more. But, at least from what I took away, things looked pretty good.