RB distribution? What's Riley's past say.

20 to 25 is way too much for a running back. We did that to ameer and Rex and they ended up getting hurt/wore down by the middle of the year. I would say 18 is about right. I looked up the leaders in rushing attempts in the nfl and found some interesting numbers. I'll give you the top 10 list of average attempts per game.

1. Demarco Murray averaged 26 a game

2. LeSean Mccoy averaged 20.8 a game

3. Leveon bell averaged 19.3

4. Marshawn lynch averaged 18.6

5. Matt Forte 17.7

6. Alfred Morris averaged 17.6

7. Arian foster 17.3

8. frank gore 17

9. Eddie lacy 16.4

10. Justin Dorsett 15.6

I think college is taking on the same trend and going in with trend and I feel like college coaches love using two or three backs almost equally.

20 to 25 is way too much for a running back. We did that to ameer and Rex and they ended up getting hurt/wore down by the middle of the year. I would say 18 is about right. I looked up the leaders in rushing attempts in the nfl and found some interesting numbers. I'll give you the top 10 list of average attempts per game.

5. Matt Forte 17.7

7. Arian foster 17.3

8. frank gore 17

9. Eddie lacy 16.4

10. Justin Dorsett 15.6

I think college is taking on the same trend and going in with trend and I feel like college coaches love using two or three backs almost equally.

How is 2 more carries going to make him injury prone? Lol

Ameer- 14 Kick returns (most on the team), 392 yards. Also, he had 22 receptions, 4th on the team..This guy was more than a RB for us, and this is why you see the injuries. He will be missed next year, and its going to be very noticeable.

20-23 is safe IMO. Its the extra workload that is what makes it become borderline player suicide.

5. Matt Forte 17.7

7. Arian foster 17.3

8. frank gore 17

9. Eddie lacy 16.4

10. Justin Dorsett 15.6

How is 2 more carries going to make him injury prone? Lol

Ameer- 14 Kick returns (most on the team), 392 yards. Also, he had 22 receptions, 4th on the team..This guy was more than a RB for us, and this is why you see the injuries. He will be missed next year, and its going to be very noticeable.

20-23 is safe IMO. Its the extra workload that is what makes it become borderline player suicide.

23 carries a game would mean 299 carries a year. Ameer was banged up towards the middle to late of the year as was Rex when he had a ton of carries. I would personally say 20 a game would be plenty. That's just my opinion though.

Is it going to be best to just get Newby, if he is the starter, 20 carries a game and then float the other 5 to a few other backs. Similiar to what we did with the Abdullah the workhorse or do you think it's best to give three or so RB's 10 carries a game?

Depends on who's getting 'er done. Most likely, Newby will be the workhorse with Cross in his usual role, though I think the latter will get more touches. As Taylor and Wilbon get up to speed, they will get more carries, but that may take 1/2 the season--or more. Newby is built alot like AA and, with increased toughness, I think he's going to be a helluva back. He has near track speed, alot of moves, and, in general, a very natural rusher.

Graham Nabity seemed to show well in the Spring Fling too. We're potentially loaded @ RB.

Also depends on the running style of the running back. To me the more elusive type back who take less punishment will last longer but better chance of tearing a knee ligament. The big bruising down hill runners who don't try to make many people miss may get hurt a little more often then the other. Just an opinion though.

In my opinion, we need to establish a main dominant RB. Someone who can and WILL get at least 20 carries a game. I have never been a fan of sharing (50/50) carries, just like having a 2 QB system. You need your main guy, and take him out for rest or large leads. Have your situational RB, like I think Cross will be (short and red zone/goal line). I just hope we don't see our starting RB returning kicks. This is where you see guys fall out towards the end of the season.

I agree with this. You cant ask a RB to get into a groove giving them only 8-12 carries a game. We need 1 horse and a good back up with a couple to share the other carries.

Newby more like got 4 carries max per game, if that, under Beck. No way he could get into a groove.

In my opinion, we need to establish a main dominant RB. Someone who can and WILL get at least 20 carries a game. I have never been a fan of sharing (50/50) carries, just like having a 2 QB system. You need your main guy, and take him out for rest or large leads. Have your situational RB, like I think Cross will be (short and red zone/goal line). I just hope we don't see our starting RB returning kicks. This is where you see guys fall out towards the end of the season.

I agree with this. You cant ask a RB to get into a groove giving them only 8-12 carries a game. We need 1 horse and a good back up with a couple to share the other carries.

Newby more like got 4 carries max per game, if that, under Beck. No way he could get into a groove.

Newby was no where near a grove, Barely got the tires warm is that. He will run for 100+ with 18-23 carries a game.

Newby was no where near a grove, Barely got the tires warm is that. He will run for 100+ with 18-23 carries a game.

Yup. 1000+ yd season very likely.