Nebraska - 11th in Big 10 all sports

Per this article, NU ends up 11th out of 14 teams for all sports ranking. My first reaction is - how is this possible with the many upgrades the various programs have had over the past few years in facilities, spending, etc. One poster blamed it on Tom as AD - not making quality decisions in the coaches he had hired. The results are now coming home to roost.

Could it be that we underestimated the Big 10's completion and underestimated our strength? I think coming in, most of us thought we'd win a conf championship by now in football and would surely be dominate in baseball. Maybe it has taken us this long to change recruiting, style of play, etc in many of the sports - I'm not sure of the reason but being 11th seems to be a great under achievement to say the least. Maybe as football goes so goes the rest of the sports. SE notes our progress in academics etc, which is good and should continue, but we're missing something on the win/loss side.

What do you attribute it to?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/steven-m-sipple-after-rough-year-eichorst-says-nu-has/article_2a306c47-811c-5bef-a886-ce0f9d042605.html

• Fire 1

We just had a down year. It happens. It shouldn't happen to the point that we end up 11th, but it is what it is.

Our baseball program is one of the biggest reasons why the conference is now all of the sudden taking baseball a lot more seriously than it did, which is great, but we need to keep up our end. Sometimes your programs all have down years the same year, and it goes against our averages when our bad performances in "sports nobody pays attention to" in golf, cross country and tennis count against us, but our great performances in "sports nobody pays attention to" in bowling and rifle don't count for us.

I think I said this in another thread on this topic, but it all depends on how you want to weight the various sports. I mean, we'll always be dragged down by golf, tennis and cross-country. But these sports are weighted the same as football, basketball and volleyball. Heck, I'll bet we had nearly as much attendance at the spring football game than the number of spectators we draw all year in mens'/womens' golf, tennis and cross country. A more realistic weighting of sports would likely bump us up to the top third or so.