Explosive Plays -- How NU ranks in the B1G

I meant to post this but I read it when the board was down. This seems to be a good thread to put it in.

Beck was by far not the biggest problem on this staff the last few years.

LINK

LINK

Edited by NUance
Pretty good article you cited in your post, BRB. I thought it deserved it's own thread. (Split off from another thread.)
  • Fire 1

Big-Ten-chart-png.png
explosive-drives-offense-png.png
Red Review: Nebraska and the explosive play
Nebraska's offense has an improved quick-strike element, but the defense allowed explosive drives in high volume in 2014
UPDATED 6:54 AM CDT Jul 27, 2015
The ability to produce and defend against the explosive play is a common key-to-the-game refrain muttered by football pundits, coaches and players alike. Indeed, more often than not, these plays are byproducts of mental lapses and have the ability to decide not just entire games but seasons.

Pretty good article about explosive plays on offense, and defending explosive plays. (> 10 yds)

I haven't read the article yet but I'm not sure this is that big of a deal. It illustrates a point but I'm not sure it's that big of a difference.

Penn State and Michigan are in their own category, well ahead of everyone else. Ohio State is third at 10.5% while Nebraska is 10th at 13.7%. So Ohio State is 3.2% better than Nebraska or about one drive in 33. So they give up one less explosive drive every 2-3 games. That better but I'm not sure it means a whole lot. Especially since those drives can take so many forms. You could let a team gash you for 12 yards per carry and give up a six play drive for a TD or you could have one guy blow one coverage and give up a 70 yard TD pass. Both give up the same amount of points and count the same in this stat but one says a lot more about your defense than the other.

Funny, but if someone had asked me to guess what team would be best at explosive drives (including a >10 yd play in the drive), I would have guessed it would be a passing team. Or at least a team with a balanced attack. But there's Wisconsin, right up there with their rush-heavy offense. Go figure. :dunno