CFB Rules Question

Creed

If the defense commits a penalty, no time gets added back to the clock, right?

With limited time remaining (say under 30-40 seconds), why wouldn't defenses commit penalties (ie tackle the receiver) if there is even a slight chance the a receiver could catch the ball? I realize the game can't end on a penalty but why not have the strategy to put heavy pressure on the QB and if he is not sacked just totally interfere with any receiver. They will get another down but maybe the next time the D gets to the QB and sacks him. You would have to be up more than a FG since the penalty yardage could put you in FG range but would this strategy eventually cause the offense to run out of time or have the defense make a good play?

Just seems there are so many under a minute comebacks in CFB and defenses playing "prevent". I say turn that on its head and be hyper aggressive knowing the DBs & safeties can "take out" a receiver.

You are correct about the time. I don't know that I'd do that with 30-40 seconds left because they'd still have time for several plays but in the last 10 seconds, probably.

True but in some circumstances it would be good. If they started around 20-30 yard line and tried to complete a 20+ yard pass, A that would eat up a good chunk of time and B just interfere with the receiver so he doesn't catch it. Use up time and 15 yard penalty is better than 20-30+ yard reception. Plus doesn't the time start after the ball is set on a penalty or maybe it is at the snap?

You are correct about the time. I don't know that I'd do that with 30-40 seconds left because they'd still have time for several plays but in the last 10 seconds, probably.

True but in some circumstances it would be good. If they started around 20-30 yard line and tried to complete a 20+ yard pass, A that would eat up a good chunk of time and B just interfere with the receiver so he doesn't catch it. Use up time and 15 yard penalty is better than 20-30+ yard reception. Plus doesn't the time start after the ball is set on a penalty or maybe it is at the snap?

If they were that far back, I don't think I'd give them any free yards. Just when they could get to the end zone.

And the clock wouldn't start until the snap.

Ever see a defender get beat bad enough that he couldn't even interfere with the receiver? I'll bet it happens enough to make this a bad bet, especially if you're going to try to do this a few times with a lot of clock left -- and 30-40 seconds is a lot of clock. Even if that doesn't happen this is the equivalent of a prevent defense where you let the offense have 15 yard passes in front of you. 3 or 4 of those in 15-20 seconds, and they're in the red zone and that's gotta be a higher percentage final play than a hail mary.

In a last play hail mary situation you might have something. But you'd probably have to rush 5 or 6 to have a good shot, which basically leaves you one on one with receivers. One DB falls down and it's all over. Also, I'd probably combat this with a shorter catch and lateral. That doesn't leave too many guys downfield and a good open field runner with a few blockers stands a good chance to get to the end zone.

If the defense commits a penalty, no time gets added back to the clock, right?

With limited time remaining (say under 30-40 seconds), why wouldn't defenses commit penalties (ie tackle the receiver) if there is even a slight chance the a receiver could catch the ball? I realize the game can't end on a penalty but why not have the strategy to put heavy pressure on the QB and if he is not sacked just totally interfere with any receiver. They will get another down but maybe the next time the D gets to the QB and sacks him. You would have to be up more than a FG since the penalty yardage could put you in FG range but would this strategy eventually cause the offense to run out of time or have the defense make a good play?

Just seems there are so many under a minute comebacks in CFB and defenses playing "prevent". I say turn that on its head and be hyper aggressive knowing the DBs & safeties can "take out" a receiver.

WE had that @Mich in 2011 which the BTN reruns every month; up 3 with 11 seconds left on a first and goal. I was furious Kelly didn't instruct the cbs to drape themselves over the WRs like the Miami-Ohio State national title game.

In general it wouldn't help if a team is up more since the offense just gets another attempt 10 yards closer.