D1 Defense Analysis

For me the two most important positions at defense for D1 schools are the defensive tackles and the cornerbacks.

The defensive tackles are the two anchors against the run. As Nebraska knows all too well, for a run orientated team, all the I-back needs is 4 yards (and a cloud of dust) each play, and the offense is in complete control of the game. The offense can control the time of possession, tempo of the game, and keep the other teams offense off the field. It is that simple, if the I-back gets 4 yards per carry, you win the game, period. If the defensive tackles are getting pushed around on the line of scrimmage, it will be long, painful afternoon as the other team controls the ball, the clock and the game. But if the two DT's control the line of scrimmage, the defensive ends and linebackers can shut down any team's running game.

A corner back who can play man-to-man against D1 receivers are invaulable. If a corner cannot cover a receiver, and requires double teaming, if the defense decides to Blitz, the defense is one-man short. Any serious quarterback, when faced with a defense that is one man short, will (with ease) pick apart that defense all day long. An aggresive (Blitzing) defensive co-ordinator, armed with a cornerback who cannot play man-to-man, facing a solid QB and receiving corpe, is beyond painful to watch. By contrast, if the corners can cover the recievers, there is nothing more exilerating than to watch an aggresive defense destroy an offense (i.e. the 95 Huskers).

I firmly believe every year the Huskers must recruit two dominating DT's and two dominating CB's if Nebraska wants to be competitive.

After the the DT and CB postitions are filled, the other key to a dominating defense is a OLB or Safety with exceptional speed. The Terrell Farley type player. With player with sick size and speed, then no matter which position the coach blitzes from, the TF-type player has the speed to get to and fill the now-empty position from which the blitz came. Or if the QB is in the shotgun, and the coach blitzes the TF-type player, he will get to the QB at approximately the same time the ball does. These type of players create short careers for both opposing offensive coordinators and opposing QB's.

Well, since it is the off-season, what are your thoughts as an armchair defensive coordinator?

I think we're all a little too confident in steve octavien's ability to perform. I'm sure he can be great but we haven't really seen that much out of him. I hope we're not setting the bar too high for him.

Good point...we should never set the bar high for our football players...leave it at, say, a Hofstra level ;)