Offensive Line, 4th Quarter

Rotating offensive linemen takes your best blockers out of the game for no good reason, leaving your QB more vulnerable than he has to be, and can throw off timing - timing is everything.

The main focus should be winning games on game day, not letting the backups practice.

Any snap that is meaningful enough for Tommy to be in the game, his best blockers need to be in there.

• Fire 1

For a guy not basing his opinion on anything, you sure seem to have an extensive opinion ColoradoHusk.

You don't know anything about the guys behind this starting offensive line.

Secondly, I've never in my life heard of such a thing as giving an offensive linemen a better look at the defense by standing on the sideline. Seriously, WTF are you talking about? I'd be careful who you're telling "don't be stupid", because that my be one of the stranger things I've read in a long time.

• Fire 1

Rotating offensive linemen takes your best blockers out of the game for no good reason, leaving your QB more vulnerable than he has to be, and can throw off timing - timing is everything.

The focus should be winning games on game day, not letting the backups practice.

Any snap that is meaningful enough for Tommy to be in the game, his best blockers need to be in there.

But then when we have a linemen in that doesn't understand his assignment, and Tommy get's pressured and throws a pick, we all get to jump Tommy's ass for half a season about it. Or when a linemen comes in and completely whiffs on a block, or snaps the ball before Tommy is ready, and let's say Abdullah has to try to dive on the ball and ends up being injured on the play by a Purdue defender......not saying that has ever happened.

My question for Cav would be why doesn't he rotate his linemen. Is it because he doesn't trust the backups or is it just something he's accustomed to doing at Oregon State and the NFL?

My point is that Cav needs to realize that he's at Nebraska and he should be able to have more than 5 offensive linemen that he can be confident in playing.

Not subbing your offensive linemen is something NFL teams do out of necessity.

No, it's because sitting that high dollar left tackle on the bench when he could be protecting that high dollar QB would be incredibly stupid.

If rotating linemen was necessary the rules would be established in such a way to reflect that.

If you listened more and talked less (or maybe rather, slower), you may at times conclude to change your mind. There are dozens of posters whose posts have taught me something or gave me a solid angle to consider here in just the last 30 days. Some posts in this thread are examples.

If you listened more and talked less (or maybe rather, slower), you may at times conclude to change your mind. There are dozens of posters whose posts have taught me something or gave me a solid angle to consider here in just the last 30 days. Some posts in this thread are examples.

I understand what other posters are saying. The people who say "let your best players play" have a point.

I am just saying that there are benefits from rotating offensive linemen. It's not so cut and dry all the time.

OL is a different position than those that are not OL ;)

OL personnel is different than the actual humans that NU has available at other positions.

Cav is not new at this. /end

You are making my point about "Cav is not new at this". I am saying there is a benefit about being at a program like Nebraska where you can recruit a lot of o-linemen. By having that much depth, it allows a coach to do things differently, and rotate o-linemen. It seems like Cav is just doing things the way he's always done things, just because that's what he does.

You answered yourself.

It's not cut and dried, so it's situational.

Therefore, DL is rotating some and OL and QB aren't. Different. Situations.

Don't recall didnt reread anyway here's my FAST take. OL, TA and RB need all the reps they can get since as starters, today, they are NOT good enough to accomplish what the coaches want. More reps give the 1st string guys the reps THEY NEED to be as good as they need to be. Tommy is getting way better IMO. Newby was better game 4 than game 1, IMO. DL might get rotation because of a particular stamina issue ;) WR gets rotations cause only Westy is a legit solid star player anyway and they run gassers on many plays which makes them....gassed.

I started a thread about this a few weeks back. Most teams in football at all levels do not substitute their o-line. Teams that do substitute, do it for different reasons. Teams that run option style football, tend to substitute more, ie. Georgia Tech, Army, Navy etc. Michigan St. substitutes their line out frequently to keep their players fresh. Some teams substitute out when their is no discernible drop-off from the ones and twos (Wyoming, BP Nebraska). However, the vast majority of teams at all levels, do not substitute their o-line. Link.