Question about NU recruiting

Hey Huskers. Got to talking about NU recruiting in another thread but in an effort not to hijack that poster's desired conversation I thought I'd start one for this.

NU's class looked quite strong to me this year (2006) but I noticed that it's a bit JUCO heavy and wanted to get some input from you folks on that. Has Callahan's staff had much past success in a) getting those JUCO kids who committed into school and b ) getting production from them once on campus?

It looks like you could have some strong early contributors from your incoming group so I wanted to see if could get a little historical background (although I understand that Callahan's not been here long so there's a limited history to look back on).

Thanks,

Go Big Red and

Hook'em

There was a couple guys who ddn't qualify, but the reason he is getting alot of JUCO'S is because solich's recruiting was so bad his last 3 years as coach that he left the cupboards BARE - CALLAHAN has stated that this is a WIN NOW ENVIROMENT and he can't wait for 18 year olds to develop - He needs guys that can play now. Once CALLAHAN gets 4 or 5 recruiting classes under his watch they will probally only take a few JUCO'S per year instead of 10 or 12. I have no problem with it, He has to do what he has to do. :restore2

There was a couple guys who ddn't qualify, but the reason he is getting alot of JUCO'S is because solich's recruiting was so bad his last 3 years as coach that he left the cupboards BARE - CALLAHAN has stated that this is a WIN NOW ENVIROMENT and he can't wait for 18 year olds to develop - He needs guys that can play now. Once CALLAHAN gets 4 or 5 recruiting classes under his watch they will probally only take a few JUCO'S per year instead of 10 or 12. I have no problem with it, He has to do what he has to do. :restore2

i totally agree. I don't think this is a trned to continue for years to come. I am happy overall with the production of the Juco's and i think they will have a better showing this year. Look at Taylor and octavien, Bowman from last year to lead our team. Can't complain to much about these guys, even though octavien has yet to play much.

There was a couple guys who ddn't qualify, but the reason he is getting alot of JUCO'S is because solich's recruiting was so bad his last 3 years as coach that he left the cupboards BARE - CALLAHAN has stated that this is a WIN NOW ENVIROMENT and he can't wait for 18 year olds to develop - He needs guys that can play now.  Once CALLAHAN gets 4 or 5 recruiting classes under his watch they will probally only take a few JUCO'S per year instead of 10 or 12.  I have no problem with it, He has to do what he has to do. :restore2

i totally agree. I don't think this is a trned to continue for years to come. I am happy overall with the production of the Juco's and i think they will have a better showing this year. Look at Taylor and octavien, Bowman from last year to lead our team. Can't complain to much about these guys, even though octavien has yet to play much.

I personally think Zack Taylor was the TEAM MVP last year, without his MOXEY standing there and getting punished game after game (38 sacks YIKES!!) NEBRASKA would probally have been 3-9 - I think the whole HUSKER NATION owes him a THANK YOU for playing the way he did last year. :restore2

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt he will ever go light on jucos.

There was a couple guys who ddn't qualify, but the reason he is getting alot of JUCO'S is because solich's recruiting was so bad his last 3 years as coach that he left the cupboards BARE - CALLAHAN has stated that this is a WIN NOW ENVIROMENT and he can't wait for 18 year olds to develop - He needs guys that can play now.  Once CALLAHAN gets 4 or 5 recruiting classes under his watch they will probally only take a few JUCO'S per year instead of 10 or 12.  I have no problem with it, He has to do what he has to do. :restore2

I doubt he will ever go light on jucos.

Please explain why you think this. If your only explaination is because he has done it in the past, then you have a weak argument, but my guess is you will never respind anyway.

I think Callahan will continue to recruit the best JUCO's he can get IN AREAS OF NEED. IN the last couple of years, we have had needs at almost every position, thus the large number of JUCO's. To think he will continue to recruit a bunch of JUCO's at all positions every year simply shows that you don't know football and or recruiting or don't/didn't understand the situation that Callahan came into.

So please, Benard, explain to me why you think we will continue to recruit a large number of JUCO's, I would like to know your thoughts and insights.

Benard, I asked you a question and all I hear is crickets. I know you have posted since I asked my question so you've obviously been around here. It's fairly obvious by your silence that your response was nothing but trolling, however, most of us already knew that.

• 1 month later...
Guest greenbayhusker

I love what we've done this year. I think we're becoming a legitimate recruiting power. There's no way we could've accomplished this under Coach Solich!

:restore

• 1 month later...