Riley vs. Harbaugh Recruiting: A Parent Chimes In

Offensively, Alabama was really quite average. Bama has won their championships with defense, for the most part.

Look at the top 10 offensive teams and there split.

Your comments about Riley's record just show me that he's truly a man without a system. And that is a recipe for mediocrity in college football. It doesn't surprise me he's had such a below average record.

That's because it feeds your narrative. Riley's record at Oregon State is quite impressive considering how bad that program was historically prior to his arrival. I should know. I'm an OSU graduate.

Yes. Teams do it all of the time. And usually they end up being pretty average or worse.

I wont bother to explain to you why a 65/35 or more unbalanced ratio in favor of the pass is actually more effective, because you don't want to listen. Hell, you even point to stave as a positive example of offensive effectiveness.

It's cool.

Good Lord.

Most teams are pretty average or worse, regardless of the scheme they run. That's called "math."

"Usually they end up pretty average or worse" relative to the entire list of college football offenses. You do realize there's a large (growing) body of college football offenses that have scrapped the outmoded immobile QB-headed "balanced" offenses, right?

I love when you try to get snarky but fail reading comprehension in the process, Guy.

What?

Again, you are pulling a hamstring to stretch a point.

Where does anyone say an immobile quarterback is a defining feature of a "balanced" offense?

It's only possible if your only definition of "balance" is a team that throws the ball way too much with a pro-set quarterback. Which of course isn't "balance," nor particularly relevant to the tortured point you're not making very well. Maybe because you're using two extremes that don't reflect the majority of college football teams, including Nebraska.

I think you'll find that more teams are taking advantage of a mobile -- and outright rushing quarterback -- wherever they can find one. But the guys who can't consistently pass 25 - 35 times a game aren't starting on the elite teams, which is where we want to be. Mobile quarterbacks are the very definition of a balanced team. Less mobile quarterbacks can still hand off to talented running backs.

I am glad to see you mention that defenses win championships. Very true. I think Nebraska would have had more wins and less offensive hand wringing under both Langsdorf and Beck if Nebraska hadn't continued it's historic decline to the bottom half of NCAA defenses.

So with the whole Riley vs Harbaugh thing.......Harbaugh's history tells us he will wear out his welcome and/or move on in 2-3 years, but Riley's history was not an indicator he'd be a .500 coach at Nebraska? Got it.

People were looking for reasons why our AD hired a coach with a .500 record. There has to be reasons for it, right? The athletic director obviously didn't expect his new coach to maintain a .500 record here at NU or he wouldn't have hired Riley.

People here did look at Riley's history, all of it and not just his .500 record. His penchant for winning one game he shouldn't every year. His ability to make use of different types of players. Riley has been known to find diamonds in the rough while recruiting. These are just some of the positive things that were discussed when he was hired. There was lots of discussion on his negatives as well, largely centered on his career record.

• Fire 1

By your numbers, NU only landed 3 top 10 classes in 10 years prior to the championship run. That's not bad, of course, but I think the numbers at your other link tell the story better. I can't seem to cut and paste the chart, but NU had no top 5 finished between '87 and '94 and had more finishes in the 20s as it did in the top 10 during that span.

Classic cm. He is shown numbers. Tells someone they are wrong. Are shown they are right. Then disregards those numbers all together.

If you go by a combination of Emfinger/Wallace/Lemming, Nebraska had 3 top 10 classes in the 5 prior for both the 94 and 95 title teams.

Tom Osborne was a good recruiter and with a couple exceptions recruited very well to Nebraska and his systems. Anyone who says otherwise probably only has 2 brains cells waving bye-bye to each other or simply wasn't alive back then.