Wounded Warrior Projecf Scandal

The senior management team were fired today. And rightfully so. I highly recommend reading about the situation if you want to gain an understanding of why a "tech start up" culture is dangerous at nonprofits and how the 501©(3) system is inherently flawed.

LINK

Edited by NUance
Added a link to an article. Always a good idea. :thumbs:

Nonprofit watchdog “Charity Navigator” says Wounded Warrior Project spends just 60 percent of its budget on veterans. The Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation provides more than 98 percent to veterans. Charity Navigator also assessed that Wounded Warrior’s total revenue for 2014 was well over $340 million.

60% isn't terrible for a charity. But it sounds like it could have been a lot higher if they hadn't spent it on luxuries for the higher ups. <_<

Nonprofit watchdog Charity Navigator says Wounded Warrior Project spends just 60 percent of its budget on veterans. The Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation provides more than 98 percent to veterans. Charity Navigator also assessed that Wounded Warriors total revenue for 2014 was well over $340 million.

60% isn't terrible for a charity. But it sounds like it could have been a lot higher if they hadn't spent it on luxuries for the higher ups. <_<

For an org that large in terms donations, that's an appalling amount in actual dollars.

It's a big reason why nonprofits are flawed. They have little to no incentives to really keep costs down. Many serve as a conduit for salarying rich kids more than anything.

Personally, I think we should get rid of 501©(3) status, especially as it relates to sports donations

Nonprofit watchdog Charity Navigator says Wounded Warrior Project spends just 60 percent of its budget on veterans. The Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation provides more than 98 percent to veterans. Charity Navigator also assessed that Wounded Warriors total revenue for 2014 was well over $340 million.

For an org that large in terms donations, that's an appalling amount in actual dollars.

It's a big reason why nonprofits are flawed. They have little to no incentives to really keep costs down. Many serve as a conduit for salarying rich kids more than anything.

Personally, I think we should get rid of 501©(3) status, especially as it relates to sports donations

Little to no incentive yet a lot of them work on a very small percentage as far as costs compared to this.

Many do. There are altruistic people running great charities out there, to be sure.

There are also tons of charities that are nothing more than conduits for employees to receive salaries and subject to all sorts of abuse.

That's why it's good that we have transparency. It allows donors to make informed decisions, and stay away from organizations that pass on a low percentage of donations due to fraud, waste or inefficiency.

Typical charity scandel: the Admin basically lives large off most of the donated $. Happens everyday. One of the CEOs that got canned was extolling the virtues of the WWP a few months back on CSpan and now he's outta there. A Nam vet friend of mine told me WWP doesn't do a whole lot anyway, say, compared to the VA. WWP, not a complete scam, just a moderate scam. Maybe they'll clean up their act.