The Abortion Dress

This lady is proud of the fact that not once but twice she and her partner ( yes he is a part of this) were so irresponsible that this was required for her to have a fulfilling life.

I mean, how on *earth* do you know she was irresponsible? Even for people who are, how often is that a product of either poor or misdirected sex ed, or lack of access (or stigma about using) contraceptives?

There's a frankly ridiculous characterization of her in the OP's article which is unsurprising, given the source. The reactions elicited are fully intended. In her own words, though, her advocacy is:

"A) to contribute to the dismantling of an oppressive, artificial and unfair shaming of women who seek abortion care, B) make clear just how normal, common, and healthy a decision it is for the women who make it, and C) to encourage women who are part of this one third to be unashamed and come out of the abortion closet"

(More of her own words)

That Martha Plimpton.....what a piece of sh#t person she is. I have absolutely no respect and zero alignment with her thoughts on the matter. She and people like her are why we cannot arrive at any reasonable common ground on abortion.

I've always felt that reasonable people could agree that abortions should be allowed in cases of rape, incest, and when the mothers health was in danger. I've even thought that most reasonable people could agree that the option for a safe and clean abortion provided by a trained medical provider is better than a dirty back alley coat hanger job. But this Plimpton is unreasonable. She wants to have abortions on a whim, for any reason, at any time, because she thinks it has no effect on anyone except her. She is wrong. There is another life involved. And, quite frankly, I would take my chances with any aborted fetus being a better human being than what I feel she is after reading that. I never use this word because I think it is about the ugliest word you can use for somebody but she is a c**t. I want her to feel shame. She should feel shame. She's a piece of sh#t. I wish her mother had aborted her. Wonder if she would be in favor of that?

And here I thought the link you provided to "more of her own words" would lead me to at least a little more understanding or sympathy. It just made me hate her.

My comment came from the position of trying to assume I really don't care if some one has an abortion as far as killing a baby.

I still get the same reaction.

This lady is proud of the fact that not once but twice she and her partner ( yes he is a part of this) were so irresponsible that this was required for her to have a fulfilling life.

She is so proud of it that she is going to advertise it on her clothing.

That is just weirdly odd to me.

Of course you meant a fetus. A BABY is one who has already been born. I realize such wording helps the picture that you are trying to paint but it is incorrect nonetheless.

• Fire 1

That Martha Plimpton.....what a piece of sh#t person she is. I have absolutely no respect and zero alignment with her thoughts on the matter. She and people like her are why we cannot arrive at any reasonable common ground on abortion.

I've always felt that reasonable people could agree that abortions should be allowed in cases of rape, incest, and when the mothers health was in danger. I've even thought that most reasonable people could agree that the option for a safe and clean abortion provided by a trained medical provider is better than a dirty back alley coat hanger job. But this Plimpton is unreasonable. She wants to have abortions on a whim, for any reason, at any time, because she thinks it has no effect on anyone except her. She is wrong. There is another life involved. And, quite frankly, I would take my chances with any aborted fetus being a better human being than what I feel she is after reading that. I never use this word because I think it is about the ugliest word you can use for somebody but she is a c**t. I want her to feel shame. She should feel shame. She's a piece of sh#t. I wish her mother had aborted her. Wonder if she would be in favor of that?

And here I thought the link you provided to "more of her own words" would lead me to at least a little more understanding or sympathy. It just made me hate her.

You are correct in saying that abortion should not be looked at as a last ditch birth control method. It should be something that is used very rarely. We should be teaching kids responsible sex ed and make birth control conveniently attainable...the morning after pill as well.

• Fire 2

My comment came from the position of trying to assume I really don't care if some one has an abortion as far as killing a baby.

Of course you meant a fetus. A BABY is one who has already been born. I realize such wording helps the picture that you are trying to paint but it is incorrect nonetheless.

No

If we can legally and morally kill a person who is brain dead (i.e., remove them from feeding tubes) then why is it immoral and should be illegal to end the existence of something that's never achieved consciousness?

Its less a moral issue for me than one of irresponsibility.

Euthanasia is something that should be more available as well.

• Fire 1

No

I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

I agree with the sex ed and available birth control. However, I don't include the morning after pill as part of any responsible birth control options. How about instead of "the morning after pill" we try a little "responsibility and clear headed decision making the night of intercourse"?

I agree with the sex ed and available birth control. However, I don't include the morning after pill as part of any responsible birth control options. How about instead of "the morning after pill" we try a little "responsibility and clear headed decision making the night of intercourse"?

Agree to disagree. I think the morning after pill should be in a vending machine next to the snickers bars.

I mean, how on *earth* do you know she was irresponsible? Even for people who are, how often is that a product of either poor or misdirected sex ed, or lack of access (or stigma about using) contraceptives?

There's a frankly ridiculous characterization of her in the OP's article which is unsurprising, given the source. The reactions elicited are fully intended. In her own words, though, her advocacy is:

"A) to contribute to the dismantling of an oppressive, artificial and unfair shaming of women who seek abortion care, B) make clear just how normal, common, and healthy a decision it is for the women who make it, and C) to encourage women who are part of this one third to be unashamed and come out of the abortion closet"

(More of her own words)

Once maybe. Twice??? Naaaa

If we can legally and morally kill a person who is brain dead (i.e., remove them from feeding tubes) then why is it immoral and should be illegal to end the existence of something that's never achieved consciousness?

I was not aware "we" could morally kill a person who is brain dead.

Also, I don't believe "achieved consciousness" is the make or break point for a whole bunch of people in this debate.

Some, actually a whole bunch of, people believe that life is created at the moment of conception.

Some people feel that ending a life, for whatever reason, through whatever means, is not up to us but rather should be determined by natural death. I'm not saying I am of this belief in all cases but I also sure don't think abortion should be used as simply another birth control option.

i don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does seem that consciousness, measured by some sort of brain activity, is a more reasonable point of demarcation than conception or cardiac death.
So when does consciousness begin?

I suppose it would be measured based on certain brain activity, as it is at the end of life.

Well I guess you're certainly free to feel and act that way about murder if you wish zoogs.

I'm sure not going to get anybody's face and try to make them feel bad for some choices they have made but, you have to admit (or maybe you don't) that being proud of having had multiple abortions and bragging about it with an abortion dress is taking it a bit too far. It sure is for me. I found this linked story repulsive. I used to like Plimpton as an actress in Raising Hope and the Real O'Neals...not anymore. I won't be able to watch her without thinking of her selfish abortion dress.

Why is killing a fetus an acceptable choice but failing to choose to be responsible with a persons reproductive activities not important? How about not getting pregnant if you don't want a child? What's wrong with that approach? They make these things called contraceptives and, the good thing is, you don't have to start a life and then kill it to prevent an unwanted birth.

So much judgement in this post ( and others that followed)

I had no idea you were a very close friend of Martha. Apparently you know all the details of her situation, circumstances, thoughts, options and actions at the time of her conceptions and abortions, and the time in between. Could you please share them with us?

I was not aware "we" could morally kill a person who is brain dead.

Also, I don't believe "achieved consciousness" is the make or break point for a whole bunch of people in this debate.

Some, actually a whole bunch of, people believe that life is created at the moment of conception.

Some people feel that ending a life, for whatever reason, through whatever means, is not up to us but rather should be determined by natural death. I'm not saying I am of this belief in all cases but I also sure don't think abortion should be used as simply another birth control option.

i don't have a strong opinion either way, but it does seem that consciousness, measured by some sort of brain activity, is a more reasonable point of demarcation than conception or cardiac death.

So when does consciousness begin?

I don't know, but I'm looking forward to it.

Well I guess you're certainly free to feel and act that way about murder if you wish zoogs.

I'm sure not going to get anybody's face and try to make them feel bad for some choices they have made but, you have to admit (or maybe you don't) that being proud of having had multiple abortions and bragging about it with an abortion dress is taking it a bit too far. It sure is for me. I found this linked story repulsive. I used to like Plimpton as an actress in Raising Hope and the Real O'Neals...not anymore. I won't be able to watch her without thinking of her selfish abortion dress.

Why is killing a fetus an acceptable choice but failing to choose to be responsible with a persons reproductive activities not important? How about not getting pregnant if you don't want a child? What's wrong with that approach? They make these things called contraceptives and, the good thing is, you don't have to start a life and then kill it to prevent an unwanted birth.

I had no idea you were a very close friend of Martha. Apparently you know all the details of her situation, circumstances, thoughts, options and actions at the time of her conceptions and abortions, and the time in between. Could you please share them with us?

Read the link zoogs posted in post #16, then you'll know as much about her as I do. If, after that, you still don't like what I had to say, tough sh#t.

Read the link zoogs posted in post #16, then you'll know as much about her as I do. If, after that, you still don't like what I had to say, tough sh#t.

No need to get angry, all you had to do was admit that you knew very little about the details of someone's situation before you passed judgement. Thank you for proving me right.