Bernie Sanders' Effective Tax Rate is 13.5%

Even lower than the 14.5% he bemoans corporations paying for.

In 2014, he and his wife made $205,000 (I see why he wants to raise taxes signficiantly at the $250k mark) but paid only $28,000 in taxes.

He also only donated 4% of his income to charities.

I wonder how this will sit with his supporters. When does Trump release his documents?

In 2014, he and his wife made $205,000 (I see why he wants to raise taxes signficiantly at the $250k mark) but paid only $28,000 in taxes.

I wonder how this will sit with his supporters. When does Trump release his documents?

OMG, Bernie's tax returns are destroying the country!

No, but his tax policies would.

It's just interesting that he pays so little when he's in the top 5% of income earners and likely pays nothing in terms of student loans. He also pretends to play the role of a poor man.

You'd think an old progressive man who wanted to foist taxes upon young income earners (many of who have $100k+ in student loans) would be more altruistic with his own money.

Just ironic. And says something about the man.

No, but his tax policies would.

It's just interesting that he pays so little when he's in the top 5% of income earners and likely pays nothing in terms of student loans. He also pretends to play the role of a poor man.

You'd think an old progressive man who wanted to foist taxes upon young income earners (many of who have $100k+ in student loans) would be more altruistic with his own money.

Just ironic. And says something about the man.

I'm sure you'll get alot of mileage from this thread.

FYI, on the N East coast, $100k/yr basically puts you in the lower middle class. So, you can go on about busting Bernie's chops @ $200k income, paying according to the current tax code and still giving up 9k to charities, but it's a meaningless argument--Bernie is middle middle class on the East coast. He doesn't spend most of his work time, like others, on the phone trying to raise campaign $, he actually does his job.

Even that punk Marco Rubio is a multimillionaire, i.e., on the take, like the rest of them, so attempting to paint Bernie as somehow "corrupt" is a vapid argument.

Hillary got 3/4 mil in speaking fees alone from Goldman Sachs or whoever in '13, and that's just from one company. Then there's the Clinton Foundation, why don't you spend some useful time with an expose' of the Clinton Foundation and corruption, you know, something that actually has some weight?

Unfortunately, probably not. Facts don't get too far with those feeling the Bern. So I don't expect much discussion.

So far, my expectations have been met.

Like I said, good luck with painting Bernie as "corrupt". At least the Bern paid what he was supposed to pay under current tax code. Big corporations? Not so much:

GAO: Many Companies Paid No Federal Income Tax

Two-thirds of all active U.S. corporations did not have to pay federal income tax during the years 2006 to 2012, according to a new study published by the Government Accountability Office, which Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont requested to examine corporate tax . The federal watchdog noted that this data was collected during the recession and economic recovery, but reported that 19 percent of corporations with assets of at least $10 million that also reported a profit in 2012 still paid no federal income tax that year.Larger corporations with assets of at least $10 million were more likely to owe federal incomes taxes, but 42 percent of such companies still did not pay federal income tax in 2012, according to the government study published Wednesday that cites the most recent data available. Corporations that did have a federal income tax liability for 2012 owed $267.5 billion.

Sanders said in a press release that "there is something profoundly wrong in America when one out of five profitable corporations pay nothing in federal income taxes." The Democratic presidential candidate echoed his call to increase revenue for the federal government by "closing corporate tax loopholes."

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-04-14/bernie-sanders-outraged-by-gao-study-that-finds-many-companies-paid-no-income-tax

You keep going after Bernie, though, amigo, yer fighting the good fight....

Dude, did you just read the article you posted? Those companies are in compliance with tax code, too.

I'd love to close all these loopholes but let's not leave individual ones out. Bernie claimed about $70,000 is tax loopholes in 2014, leading to a personal tax savings of about $25,000.

And yet his philanthropic donations were apparently not even 1/3 of those savings (and only 4% of his overall income).

Dude, did you just read the article you posted? Those companies are in compliance with tax code, too.

I'd love to close all these loopholes but let's not leave individual ones out. Bernie claimed about $70,000 is tax loopholes in 2014, leading to a personal tax savings of about $25,000.

And yet his philanthropic donations were apparently not even 1/3 of those savings (and only 4% of his overall income).

Yeah, the current corrupt tax loopholes and various offshore tax havens and inversions allow billions of $ to go gushing out of the country and you're focused on Bernie's tiny little tax return. Like I said, good luck...

His plan raises taxes on EVERYONE. And many young people who are already paying for student loans, another $1,000 a month in taxes is crippling. It simply is. I know people paying $4,000 a month in student loans who could have their taxes raised a whopping $3,000 a month under his plan. A single mother making $50k a year will be paying more in taxes! It's ridiculous.

Someone who makes 1/3 more per year than Bernie but doesn't exploit the tax loopholes that Bernie does will pay 3x as much in federal income tax.

Why are we asking our young people to subsidize the housing industry retirement plan and tax breaks for marriage and home ownership that is mostly enjoyed by the highest and oldest members of our society?

It's a freaking shell game and it's massively exploitive of the young but under the guise of "free education" and "affordable housing" promises, too many of the young are welcoming this awful policy with open arms.

You want to reform taxes? I'm all for it. Go to a consumption tax with a rebate. Or even a negative income tax. Or, at the very least, eliminate all tax loopholes.

But expanding the already fundamentally flawed system of income taxation? No!

His plan raises taxes on EVERYONE. And many young people who are already paying for student loans, another $1,000 a month in taxes is crippling. It simply is. I know people paying $4,000 a month in student loans who could have their taxes raised a whopping $3,000 a month under his plan. A single mother making $50k a year will be paying more in taxes! It's ridiculous.

[bold]Someone who makes 1/3 more per year than Bernie but doesn't exploit the tax loopholes that Bernie does will pay 3x as much in federal income tax. [/bold)]

Why are we asking our young people to subsidize the housing industry retirement plan and tax breaks for marriage and home ownership that is mostly enjoyed by the highest and oldest members of our society?

It's a freaking shell game and it's massively exploitive of the young but under the guise of "free education" and "affordable housing" promises, too many of the young are welcoming this awful policy with open arms.

You want to reform taxes? I'm all for it. Go to a consumption tax with a rebate. Or even a negative income tax. Or, at the very least, eliminate all tax loopholes.

But expanding the already fundamentally flawed system of income taxation? No!

I don't know where you're getting your info, but it's all bullsh#t. Where's your source, Vox, Breitbart? LOL. Bernie's tax plan is not doing any of what you claim it is. It's all right there on the link I provided.

Wrong. The link you provided was for how he'd attack small businesses, which are the bulk of profitable corporations in the US.

It's why so many companies have just moved to an LLC structure and more will.

Yes, Vox, which is a liberal site, and CNN are two sources that demonstrate how bernies tax plan will cripple lower and middle class people.

Open your eyes, please!

Provide sources, plz.

For earners under $250k/yr, the income tax is raised 2.2%/yr to pay for universal health care and ~6% to small biz for the same reason. The savings from not having to pay private health insurance premiums far outweighs the small increase in income tax. He increases payroll tax of earners $250k to expand social security.

Other than that, his proposed tax changes are going after the very highest earners and corporations as shown in the link.

If you don't like it, don't vote for him, and Mur'ca will continue it's slide toward 3rd world status.

https://berniesanders.com/issues/how-bernie-pays-for-his-proposals/