Athlon: Ranking Roster Talent by Recruiting Classes

Almost is for losers. Duffy Daugherty turned us down but was the knowledgeable friend in the business since he recommended Devaney to NU.

Psycho time will tell about the quality of the Mike R hire, and the SE hire also. Don't you think? Seems that one or both may turn out to be good/great hires. I do agree that since Tom retired as HC, NU has been guilty of some poor key person practices/results. Didn't AD Dollar Bill want Stoops for HC? That would have been a home run but we got Frank instead.

There is no indication of that ... at this point.

What may or may not happen in the future is unknowable at this time... today.

But we are approaching our second point... that is knowable... soon.

• Fire 1

Almost is for losers. Duffy Daugherty turned us down but was the knowledgeable friend in the business since he recommended Devaney to NU.

Psycho time will tell about the quality of the Mike R hire, and the SE hire also. Don't you think? Seems that one or both may turn out to be good/great hires. I do agree that since Tom retired as HC, NU has been guilty of some poor key person practices/results. Didn't AD Dollar Bill want Stoops for HC? That would have been a home run but we got Frank instead.

Great point.

That's exactly what I was talking about in comment #53.

Thanks for your football knowledge.

Stoops would have been a great hire at the time. He was where Tom Herman is right now, a really good assistant that was coached and mentored by some great coaches.

At one point, I probably would have agreed with you. However, we're what into the 16th or 17th year of Stoops as HC and he has as many NCs as Mack Brown, Howard Schnellenberger, and Gene Chizik. Which of those three would you be willing to hand the keys of Husker Football over to? I like Bob Stoops, but I've always felt like he just doesn't put the work into the job to ever be successful at a program like Nebraska. He left KState because Snyder expected more work and more hours than he was willing to give. This is how he ended up at Florida with Spurrier where they were on the golf course by 5.

I'm just not certain at all that the trajectory of Husker football would have been changed much or any at all had Stoops been hired prior to the 98' season. He's done some great things at OU, but OU also enjoys a couple more perks than NU. Had he not won the NC in 2000, I question whether or not he'd even still be at OU.

Stoops would have been a great hire at the time. He was where Tom Herman is right now, a really good assistant that was coached and mentored by some great coaches.

At one point, I probably would have agreed with you. However, we're what into the 16th or 17th year of Stoops as HC and he has as many NCs as Mack Brown, Howard Schnellenberger, and Gene Chizik. Which of those three would you be willing to hand the keys of Husker Football over to? I like Bob Stoops, but I've always felt like he just doesn't put the work into the job to ever be successful at a program like Nebraska. He left KState because Snyder expected more work and more hours than he was willing to give. This is how he ended up at Florida with Spurrier where they were on the golf course by 5.

I'm just not certain at all that the trajectory of Husker football would have been changed much or any at all had Stoops been hired prior to the 98' season. He's done some great things at OU, but OU also enjoys a couple more perks than NU. Had he not won the NC in 2000, I question whether or not he'd even still be at OU.

Spot on !

Great football instincts and insight on your part.