Athlon: Ranking Roster Talent by Recruiting Classes

At least 4 of the last 4 coaches recruited about the same.

How does NU go about bucking its historic fortunes? Cheat?

No. You have to get a pedigree coach who's record tells you he's successful all the time. Unfortunately this has been discussed a 10000000 times on this board. NU isn't hiring an Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban.

Nebraska needed to go get Tom Herman. Missed it's chance, now, has to wait for the 63 year old to finish out his years in Lincoln and hope Frost is the next Osborne or else catch lightning in a bottle.

This is my opinion though. Not fact.

No. You have to get a pedigree coach who's record tells you he's successful all the time. Unfortunately this has been discussed a 10000000 times on this board. NU isn't hiring an Urban Meyer or a Nick Saban.

Nebraska needed to go get Tom Herman. Missed it's chance, now, has to wait for the 63 year old to finish out his years in Lincoln and hope Frost is the next Osborne or else catch lightning in a bottle.

Spot on as always... or another Bob Devaney.

These other programs have to be having a pretty good laugh at our expense and giggling at how the Nebraska football program can be so clueless about such basic football understanding... about such things as the importance of recruiting and hiring great coaches. And it's been going on for 18 years.

It's not the fans responsibility... it's not the mom and pops buying Nebraska sweatshirts for their kids responsibility... it's not the news media responsibility... it's the people in charge of our program... it's their responsibility.

What we can do as fans is hold their feet to the fire... demand accountability for their performance.

But as we see over and over and over... anyone wanting to do that... anyone wishing for or demanding accountability and responsibility... is shouted down. And so it just goes on and on and on and on.

I'm not going to be shouted down.

• Fire 1

I don't think tom Herman would gave recruited much, if any, better than our last coaches. But I agree in that I love his offensive philosophy. I think he has a system that would have won a lot of games with our present talent.

I'm not convinced that even Meyer and Saban would be able to recruit as well to Lincoln. Both rely heavily on local talent. Yes, there name helps, but like all other "pedigree" guys, but in support of your point, why would they ever take the Husker job over about 20 other programs of their pick?

These other programs have to be having a pretty good laugh at our expense and giggling at how the Nebraska football program can be so clueless about such basic football understanding... about such things as the importance of recruiting and hiring great coaches. And it's been going on for 18 years.

It's not the fans responsibility... it's not the mom and pops buying Nebraska sweatshirts for their kids responsibility... it's not the news media responsibility... it's the people in charge of our program... it's their responsibility.

What we can do as fans is hold their feet to the fire... demand accountability for their performance.

But as we see over and over and over... anyone wanting to do that... anyone wishing for or demanding accountability and responsibility... is shouted down. And so it just goes on and on and on and on.

Your fire and forget model will send NU into a Colorado buffs style tailspin, if you're allowed to have your way.

Your fire and forget model will send NU into a Colorado buffs style tailspin, if you're allowed to have your way.

Thanks for proving my point.

The other programs that have to be laughing at our expense... have to be laughing hysterically at the fact that a large number of Nebraska's fans don't get it either.

I know where you're going with this... you're going to attempt to hijack the thread again.

I'm not going to argue with you and your inane BS. End of discussion.

Sample size 12. Correlation 1.0. "It's mandatory...."

------Vs. ----

It's not a law, not mandatory.

Got it.

Moiraine, I'd like to point out to you that you asked above....paraphrasing now ....."how are two (very) different forecasting methods....different?" (post 21 para 2). That's not a very good way to win this argument (IMO, just sayin).

Except that it's clear from all of the surrounding words in my post that I'm not asking how the two predictors are different. I'm asking him to explain how the claim of 100% probability would differ between the two. (In both cases it's wrong).

Also, most people reading this know there is no argument.

Maybe we should send a few "private" emails letting him know we're interested... just in case.

Which brings up the point of... why is it that other than Solich... we have been caught off guard and unprepared to hire a coach every time we hire a coach. It's obvious that our program leaders do not do the football networking thing very well. We never seem to get our first choice... it seems to come down to anyone who will take the job.

We don't appear to have any friends in the business who have knowledge of great up and coming coaches or great coaches looking to move up.

Like when Nebraska hired Bob Devaney.

Almost is for losers. Duffy Daugherty turned us down but was the knowledgeable friend in the business since he recommended Devaney to NU.

Psycho time will tell about the quality of the Mike R hire, and the SE hire also. Don't you think? Seems that one or both may turn out to be good/great hires. I do agree that since Tom retired as HC, NU has been guilty of some poor key person practices/results. Didn't AD Dollar Bill want Stoops for HC? That would have been a home run but we got Frank instead.

Bill Jennings last season at Nebraska was 1961. Jennings last team went 3-6-1.

He was replaced by Bob Devaney. Bob Devaney's first team at Nebraska in 1962 went... 9-2.

That's right... his first year at Nebraska... 9-2.

Devaney's second team record in 1963... was 10-1.

This is what great coaches do.

Nebraska's decision to hire Bob Devaney in 1961 was the equivalent at that time of hiring Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. Most people don't know how the whole winning streak got started at Nebraska. It started with hiring a great coach... in 1961.