Black Lives Matter Coalition Makes Demands as Campaign Heats Up.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why BLM would want to remove body cameras from police. We can get into why they want to remove all the other tools police use to combat crime later but, for now, why the body cameras?

I would strongly encourage everyone to look at the link zoogs provided in post #31. Not sure how anyone can look at that BLM site and think, yeah, this is all good.

I wanted to respond to you JJ - I don't know why that's on there. Perhaps right to privacy, a desire to have less monitoring by government in general.

I'm not sure how I feel, as I'm not sure why it's there, I'll have to dig in and explore all the issues on their plan more.

You can't dismiss the serious racial realities in the country based on the most inflammatory statements some members of BLM want to make.

Anymore than you can say the nasty racists at Donald Trump rallies speak for the Republican Party. Or white people in general.

Lot of straw dogs out there.

• Fire 2

I am horrified at some of the things I'm reading on this thread. The amount of denial just proves the reason this is a problem and that it is ongoing. I swore I would not get baited into this discussion but the ignorance is so disheartening to me.

A bit of history. No HuskerFan2000, these were not for whites only in theory, but they were set up to benefit whites more than blacks. The facts:

Sharecropping - this was a way to essentially keep slaves so poor and with so little prospect that they remained on the owners land working as indentured. It exploited an already poor population by tying them to money owed to the land owner, and because they couldn't get credit from a source other than the landowner they were tied to pricing and loans that they could never get ahead on. It was a way for landowners to keep "free men" as slaves.

Homestead Act - went into effect 3 years before slaves were freed, and was only an option to citizens. If you were a slave you couldn't be considered a citizen. So no, this wasn't available to african americans.

Federal Housing Act - you just need to read about this. It certainly helped all of us white folks, but absolutely blocked the ability of african americans to get loans (or for people living near black people to get loans). The lines drawn during this act lasted for years and impacted how mortgage banks looked at lending money. It has impacted african americans negatively for years, and probably still does.

GI Bill - this was established to get veterans back on their feet by offering including low-cost mortgages, low-interest loans and financial support after serving. It was open to black and white men, however the design put african american at an extreme disadvantage. Of the first 67,000 mortgages less than 100 went to black men. The VA and the American Legion as well as the Veterans of Foreign Affairs had the ability to approve or deny loan requests and denied black requests at an alarming rate. Banks also denied blacks applying for the GI Bill assistance, or they denied making a loan for a home in a black neighborhood. Lets say a black man got approval for a college loan guess what? Many colleges still wouldn't allow black students.

All of us know that you can't get more wealth unless you have some wealth, and if you are always trying to play catch up to the Jones you'll never make it. Imagine that you're trying but the Jones get more assistance along the way (in the way of loans, land, education etc)

It is ignorant to say that African Americans have everything we do and that they are treated as equals. In theory yes, they are allowed everything we are but they started behind, and the majority will never catch up. We can't fix a problem until people acknowledge that there is one. Folks here are an example with comments like "there are no stockpiles of free stuff for whitey" and "getting free stuff just because they're black". Horrifying, ignorant, white, head in the sand comments.

So then, you agree they are not specifically for whites and any race could benefit, as opposed to what BLM is wanting. You can dress it up all you want and yell hyperbole comments like the bold all you want. The man is not keeping blacks down! I love the "In theory, yes" part the most.

If anyone is keeping blacks down it is posters such as yourself claiming they need special treatment... Instead of demanding everyone to stand up and stop wanting free stuff, be it black, white, asian, or whoever. The more you think they are not responsible for their situations the more they demand free stuff, and the more they continue to falter.

EDIT: to the bold about wealth.. what a load of horse spit. I was brought up in a family that was far from wealthy, a long ways from wealthy. I now make considerably more than both my parents every did. I had to work my way through college.

EDIT 2 : You clearly do not realize there were free black back then, some even owned slaves themselves!

• Fire 2

I am horrified at some of the things I'm reading on this thread. The amount of denial just proves the reason this is a problem and that it is ongoing. I swore I would not get baited into this discussion but the ignorance is so disheartening to me.

A bit of history. No HuskerFan2000, these were not for whites only in theory, but they were set up to benefit whites more than blacks. The facts:

Sharecropping - this was a way to essentially keep slaves so poor and with so little prospect that they remained on the owners land working as indentured. It exploited an already poor population by tying them to money owed to the land owner, and because they couldn't get credit from a source other than the landowner they were tied to pricing and loans that they could never get ahead on. It was a way for landowners to keep "free men" as slaves.

Homestead Act - went into effect 3 years before slaves were freed, and was only an option to citizens. If you were a slave you couldn't be considered a citizen. So no, this wasn't available to african americans.

Federal Housing Act - you just need to read about this. It certainly helped all of us white folks, but absolutely blocked the ability of african americans to get loans (or for people living near black people to get loans). The lines drawn during this act lasted for years and impacted how mortgage banks looked at lending money. It has impacted african americans negatively for years, and probably still does.

GI Bill - this was established to get veterans back on their feet by offering including low-cost mortgages, low-interest loans and financial support after serving. It was open to black and white men, however the design put african american at an extreme disadvantage. Of the first 67,000 mortgages less than 100 went to black men. The VA and the American Legion as well as the Veterans of Foreign Affairs had the ability to approve or deny loan requests and denied black requests at an alarming rate. Banks also denied blacks applying for the GI Bill assistance, or they denied making a loan for a home in a black neighborhood. Lets say a black man got approval for a college loan guess what? Many colleges still wouldn't allow black students.

All of us know that you can't get more wealth unless you have some wealth, and if you are always trying to play catch up to the Jones you'll never make it. Imagine that you're trying but the Jones get more assistance along the way (in the way of loans, land, education etc)

It is ignorant to say that African Americans have everything we do and that they are treated as equals. In theory yes, they are allowed everything we are but they started behind, and the majority will never catch up. We can't fix a problem until people acknowledge that there is one. Folks here are an example with comments like "there are no stockpiles of free stuff for whitey" and "getting free stuff just because they're black". Horrifying, ignorant, white, head in the sand comments.

So then, you agree the are not specifically for whites and any race benefit, as opposed to what BLM is wanting. You can dress it up all you want and yell hyperbole comments like the bold all you want. The man is not keeping blacks down! I love the "In theory, yes" part the most.

Sigh.

EDIT: to the bold about wealth.. what a load of horse spit. I was brought up in a family that was far from wealthy, a long ways from wealthy. I now make considerably more than both my parents every did. I had to work my way through college.

EDIT 2 : You clearly do not realize there were free black back then, some even owned slaves themselves!

It is sad and exhausting to keep explaining why these two narratives don't explain away a very real and persistent problem.

• Fire 2

It is sad and exhausting to keep explaining why these two narratives don't explain away a very real and persistent problem.

I agree, it is sad and exhausting to continually explain you can not create equality by creating inequality.

• Fire 1

So then, you agree they are not specifically for whites and any race could benefit, as opposed to what BLM is wanting. You can dress it up all you want and yell hyperbole comments like the bold all you want. The man is not keeping blacks down! I love the "In theory, yes" part the most.

If anyone is keeping blacks down it is posters such as yourself claiming they need special treatment... Instead of demanding everyone to stand up and stop wanting free stuff, be it black, white, asian, or whoever. The more you think they are not responsible for their situations the more they demand free stuff, and the more they continue to falter.

To your edits - you still got a head start. We all did. Your commentary and edits only further proves my points about ignorance.

To your edits - you still got a head start. We all did. Your commentary and edits only further proves my points about ignorance.

How did I get a head start? Are you referring to my parents staying together and actually trying to do the best they could versus a single mom having kids with numerous men and raising those kids on her own and on welfare?

Their are numerous, NUMEROUS blacks that succeed, and it is because they work for it.

• Fire 1

How did I get a head start? Are you referring to my parents staying together and actually trying to do the best they could versus a single mom having kids with numerous men and raising those kids on her own and on welfare?

Their are numerous, NUMEROUS blacks that succeed, and it is because they work for it.

Seriously, you need to stop typing.

speaking of ignorance.. Do you know there were free blacks, and that some even had slaves themselves? not exactly what you are taught in school, but true nonetheless.

Seriously, you need to stop typing.

that is what I thought!

I did know that - and I learned it in school. Not sure how this makes a difference in your point.

Edit: now if you told me that black free men owned white men as slaves that would be news to me, and would be worth discussing further. Otherwise I'm all set with you.

I did know that - and I learned it in school. Not sure how this makes a difference in your point.

Edit: now if you told me that black free men owned white men as slaves that would be news to me, and would be worth discussing further. Otherwise I'm all set with you.

Wouldn't it be even more worthy of conversation that blacks owned blacks slaves? (With that in mind, who should BLM be demanding reparations from?) Of course, that doesn't push the narrative of whites being evil and responsible of all the bad things that have happened in the history of this country.

Not really. You do know that a good number of those black men that "owned" slaves did so to protect them. They had to purchase their wives and children and hold them as property in order to have their families together and safe (there's the sharecropper landowner issue again). Now there were certainly those who owned slaves and worked them and abused them and the like, but I don't believe it was the majority. Regardless, it doesn't change the narrative. The handful who might have owned started ahead with some property, but the vast majority were behind from the get go. Shoot, if you're not one to read and to research all this can be seen in popular movies that were based on diaries and historical documents.

As far as the BLM requests, as I stated above I need to read through through and get a better understanding of what they're asking for and why. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. My problem with you is the blanket prejudicial statements you're making with absolutely no knowledge. No matter what they came out with I sense you would have issue with it based on politics and assumptions alone.

• Fire 1

Black people are perfectly capable of subjugating fellow blacks.

White people are not responsible for all the evil in the world.

Neither of which means white people don't enjoy entrenched privileges in this country, and there isn't a disturbing discrepancy in the treatment of blacks in our criminal justice system.

Please don't use the most inflammatory passages in this document to pretend otherwise.

Also, my own white daddy worked his ass off to go to college (UNL) --- the first in his dirt poor family to do so --- and lift himself and our family up in class. Yet he's willing to recognize the lingering racial inequity in this country instead of merely offering his personal experience as evidence that blacks have no excuse for their lot in life.

He's a 90 year old WWII vet. Just spent some time with him. He's terribly depressed about the sharp right turn the country is taking.

• Fire 4