Duterte

zoogs

If this is your first introduction to Actual President of The Philippines Rodrigo Duterte, it's going to be an interesting one: (Duterte) can't stop calling people sons of whores

Rights groups and politicians have routinely criticized him for his controversial statements, including saying he wanted to join in a gang rape of an Australian missionary and threatening mass killings of drug dealers. On Tuesday, he told militants in the country, “I will eat you in front of people.” ...

Duterte still has not taken back calling U.S. Ambassador Philip Goldberg “gay” and a “son of a whore” last month. He also never apologized for calling former President Benigno Aquino III a “son of a whore” during the election campaign, after Aquino criticized Duterte by asking voters to remember how Adolf Hitler came to power.

...He suggested that the Philippines could simply quit the United Nations if the international body criticized his country’s brutal drug war, saying “son of a whore, then I will just leave you.” He also used the insult against drug dealers during a campaign rally in May, adding “I will really kill you.”

He called Pope Francis...you get the idea.

I was happy to see President Obama take a diplomatic tone in response. And also to see them scrambling in apology after Obama canceled his meeting with Duterte at the G20.

But yeah. What's going on in the Philippines is scary stuff. "Tough on crime" being taken to levels more fit for a dystopian comic book universe than reality. Democratically elected leader, and all that.

From everything I've heard, most folks, particularly older ones, approve of what Duterte is doing with the extrajudicial killings and whatnot. Apparently their drug problem is so bad that people were willing to accommodate such a system in an attempt to crack down.

If you thought our war on drugs was was awful, well, at least no one was going to walk up to druggies in this country and shoot them in broad daylight...

Very Trumpian with the way he makes statements, and I'd have to imagine that shtick would wear thin pretty quick. Ironically, even though he ran as an anti-crime guy, I would not be surprised at all to see him become corrupted and go autocratic. Just seems like that type of guy.