The "9/11 Bill" Veto Override

zoogs

This isn't partisanship IMO. There was 1 dissenting vote in the senate. This is both Ds and Rs being idiots.

Luckily my state doesn't have a seat in the senate up this year or I would be voting against the incumbent for this stunt.

Like dudeguyy said, we need term limits. They voted for it so they would be re-elected.

There's an element of partisanship, though, for sure. At least, the decision-making bears some responsibility:

Corker and several other senators said they had suggested putting off the override vote, but Republican leaders decided to schedule it before Congress left town to hit the campaign trail.

...as well as the attempt to blame the president for, um, not vetoing the bill hard enough?

Once this goes to vote, I think politicians are legitimately constrained. That's on us. We're the reason the political cost (to person and party) of opposing a vote that can't be stopped anyway is prohibitive, and the reason the vote was so lopsided. But, we are not the reason for a) this bill being delivered by the House in the first place to the President, and b) the veto override vote being scheduled at this time.

Those opposed (and this is a bipartisan group; Corker, the Foreign Relations cmte chair, is a Republican) effectively took the 3rd down sack sack to live for another play. And so this is the mind-numbingly ham-fisted way in which, I suppose, things must get done.

• Fire 1

Here's a heck of a juxtaposition:

“What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process,” Cornyn told reporters. “They were basically missing in action during this whole process.”

That's Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn of Texas, 9/11 bill sponsor, eviscerating the White House for failing to make the potential consequences clear.

“Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn,” Cornyn said.

“It appears that the Obama administration is pulling out all the stops to keep this bill from moving forward before the president’s visit to Riyadh,” he said. “I wish the President and his aides would spend as much time and energy working with us in a bipartisan manner as they have working against us trying to prevent victims of terrorism from receiving the justice they deserve.”

Also Senator John Cornyn, still of Texas, in April. It's on his youtube channel.