Our oline needs to improve

If we could stay healthy we have a chance at a pretty good O Line. Despite being banged up, here's how the Line finished the last two games:

Illinois:

Trailing by 6 in the 3rd quarter, the O Line blocked for an 18-play go-ahead TD drive that took 10:42 off the clock.

Indiana:

Leading by two points with 8:26 to go, the O Line blocked for a 15-play drive that took 7:41 and all of Indiana's timeouts, capping it with a field goal.

That's 33 plays and 18:23 off the clock in two game-sealing drives for this line in the last two games, despite the fact that we're so thin on depth that we're contemplating burning redshirts.

• Fire 2

If we could stay healthy we have a chance at a pretty good O Line. Despite being banged up, here's how the Line finished the last two games:

Illinois:

Trailing by 6 in the 3rd quarter, the O Line blocked for an 18-play go-ahead TD drive that took 10:42 off the clock.

Indiana:

Leading by two points with 8:26 to go, the O Line blocked for a 15-play drive that took 7:41 and all of Indiana's timeouts, capping it with a field goal.

That's 33 plays and 18:23 off the clock in two game-sealing drives for this line in the last two games, despite the fact that we're so thin on depth that we're contemplating burning redshirts.

So many young hauses on the line, the future looks bright here even if we are struggling a bit right now

After re-watching the game, my take is this. First, the injuries (Knevel back gone on the first play. Gates on a sprained ankle most the day, taped and played, and dont discount Tommy's ankle issue and the effect that has on the oline) combined with missing Carter is having and impact. The lack of qb run game saturday I thought hurt the oline. It eliminated the deception from the playcalling and what that does is eliminate the angles and first step advantage from our guys. indiana's def playcalling without having to worry about Carter AND Westerkamp AND Tommy's full run arsenal was very aggressive and disrespectful to the receivers and Tommy's arm/eyes (disrespectful meaning they showed no respect to those things, and played/gambled as such. it's not that I thought it was wrong and am complaining about dirty play or whatever. Cuz i know some will take it that way). Carter I believe has a bigger impact in our run game than the pass game. He's a beast on the edge. I think we went into "just win the game" mode rather early in that one. Not much goin on in the designed qb run game. Even the read game was pretty sparse. i think their was a lot of protection of Tommy. And the impact that has on the rest of the run game. Lots of under center, conventional handoff game saturday. Langs hands were pretty tied most of that game.

Oline needs to get better. But as of right now, i dont think lack of performance is in any way indicative of the job the coaches are doing. Not even through two full years yet and the depth is still being developed.

You know some might call you an apologist.

And the smart ones call me knowledgeable with proper perspective.

alrighty then lol