#4 Nebraska @ #5 Texas

Ya, I am a little saddened at ESPN's lack of college baseball coverage. I realize they just did that last year b/c of no hockey, but come on! I had to watch paintball and bowling over the previous weekends! Not knocking those (ahem) sports because I like both, but I would much rather see a couple of good baseball matchups. Texas and Oklahoma is on ESPN, why not NU and TX? They knew this series was gonna be good, why did it take so long for someone to realize it? I think they are missing a big market out there.

Ya, I am a little saddened at ESPN's lack of college baseball coverage. I realize they just did that last year b/c of no hockey, but come on! I had to watch paintball and bowling over the previous weekends! Not knocking those (ahem) sports because I like both, but I would much rather see a couple of good baseball matchups. Texas and Oklahoma is on ESPN, why not NU and TX? They knew this series was gonna be good, why did it take so long for someone to realize it? I think they are missing a big market out there.

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh....you'd better watch rawhide don't see that.

Anderson says Texas still rules Big 12 baseball

BY CURT McKEEVER / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 - 12:07:01 am CDT

WILLIAM LAUER/Lincoln Journal Star file photo Texas’ Nick Peoples (left) makes an acrobatic dive to score while avoiding catcher Jeff Christy during a game at Haymarket Park in April 2005. The two teams face each other again this weekend at Texas. (William Lauer)

Everybody can see its crinkly edges sticking out in his hand because he’s played it so many times before.

And yet, with his fourth-ranked baseball team today starting a three-game series at No. 5 Texas that will go a long way toward determining the Big 12 Conference regular-season champion, Nebraska’s Mike Anderson is reaching for the underdog card again.

“That’s the way we see ourselves within the conference every single year. Every year,” said Anderson, whose defending champion club enters the series at Disch-Falk Field in second place, a game behind the Longhorns. “I’m not sure our kids have learned how to play out of the underdog role.”

Perhaps only against the tradition-rich, burnt orange-wearing Texans would the Huskers be considered such an animal.

Texas does have two national championships to show for its efforts over the past four seasons. But with that exception, one that Anderson is quick to point out, the two programs almost mirror one another.

Consider that:

* Since 2000, the Huskers’ 318 wins rank as the fifth-most nationally, while the Longhorns are third with 330 victories.

* They’re two of only six schools to reach the College World Series three times over the last five years, and two of just seven to have posted team earned run averages of less than 4.00 over each of the last four years.

* Texas has produced a league-high 34 players selected in the past five major-league drafts. Nebraska is No. 3 with 29.

* In the Big 12 standings, NU has finished first or second five times in the last six years. Texas has finished in those spots on three occasions over the same span.

“Very similar,” senior pitcher Brett Jensen said of the two programs. “We’ll play small ball, try and scratch runs across any way we can, and (use) a lot of strong pitching.

“I think there’s a big level of respect between us and Texas. We always have good series. You don’t see a lot of blowouts. We both play hard and play the game the right way.”

The preseason All-American Jensen is the only Husker making this year’s trip who played the last time the teams met in Austin, Texas. In the final game of that series, he retired all seven batters he faced to preserve a 4-3 win that represented the second save of his NU career and kept the Huskers from being swept.

Two years later, Texas has extended its streak of winning three-game Big 12 home series to 12. Meanwhile, Nebraska, the last conference team to leave Austin with an edge in such a set (in 2002), enters having won its last 10 league series. Included in that is a school-record six straight on the road.

“No intimidation,” Jensen said. “Don’t let the aura of Texas get to you. We’re Nebraska and we play some pretty good baseball up here, as well.

“To the younger guys and guys that haven’t been there, you just say ‘Hey, it doesn’t matter if it’s Disch-Falk Field, or (wherever). Let’s play our style of baseball.’”

That approach has paved the way to a 12-game winning streak. But preseason top-ranked Texas, after starting off 9-8, has rebounded to win 18 of its last 23 games.

“They’re notorious for playing big in big games. Hopefully, we can do the same,” Jensen said. “They had kind of a rough start, but they’ve definitely come on at the right times. We’ll see how it carries on.

“We try and pride ourselves on the same thing — being ready to go, playing well at the right times.”

As underdogs.

“We do (play it up),” Anderson said, “but every one of our kids are Midwest kids and Northern kids that that’s what they’ve gone through all their lives.”

Kids like senior first baseman Brandon Buckman, a product of Monument, Colo., who four years ago thought he was headed to tiny Colorado School of Mines to study engineering and play baseball as a hobby.

“It’s a big test for us. It’s a big test for them,” Buckman said of this weekend’s games. “It’s going to be a great series between two great teams. We’re going to get after it.”

Garrido to return

Texas’ 67-year-old coach Augie Garrido, suffering from dehydration, was ordered by doctors to miss just his second game in nine-plus seasons at Texas on Tuesday night, when the Longhorns lost to Texas-San Antonio 14-10. Garrido will be back in the dugout tonight.

Reach Curt McKeever at 473-7441 or cmckeever@journalstar.com.

Elite to meet, as expected

Texas, Nebraska will play for top spot in standings

By BRADFORD DOOLITTLE

The Kansas City Star

Itfs no surprise. We knew we were headed for this all along. Texas and Nebraska, playing three games for the top spot in the Big 12. It was inevitable.

When the Longhorns hook up with the Huskers in Austin this weekend, both teams enter the series with just two losses in the Big 12. Both have been hot lately and are ranked in the top five of the Baseball America poll. The Huskers have won 11 straight games.

Nebraska was expected to be solid this season behind a strong starting staff led by big Joba Chamberlain and Johnny Dorn. Indeed, the duo has been joined by solid efforts from Tony Watson and Charlie Shirek, and the Huskers lead the Big 12 in ERA.

But the offense, expected to have to manufacture runs this season after the loss of Alex Gordon, has been a revelation.

gTo be honest, wefve had kind of a surprise offensively. I wouldnft say wefre dominant, but wefve been very productive in what wefre doing,h Nebraska coach Mike Anderson said. gWith Brandon Buckman and Luke Gorsett adding home runs and RBIs, now youfve got an offense. But you donft need everybody to try and do that, and thatfs been the key. Our kids have been very disciplined offensively.h

Buckman and Gorsett have combined for 25 home runs, or more than five other Big 12 squads have as a team.

This weekendfs showdown series probably will serve as more of a measuring stick for Andersonfs Huskers than it will make or break Nebraskafs season. Frankly, the Huskers have their sights set higher than the conference crown.

gDonft get me wrong, (winning the conference) is still important, but what wefve tried to put an emphasis on is not so much the results but the actions,h Anderson said. gIf we play good, solid baseball, those things will take care of themselves.

gA lot of teams will get geared up and then theyfll fall flat within postseason. I hope the strength of this program is that we play well in conference. If we win it, thatfs great. If we donft, we still enter the postseason with a chance to play extremely well as we go along.h

¡ The Big 12 tournament is only a month away, believe it or not. It again will be held at Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City.

This yearfs tournament will feature a new format. There again will be eight teams, except this time they will be playing in a round-robin format. The teams will be divided into two pools: seeds 2, 3, 6 and 7 will comprise one pool; 1, 4, 5 and 8 will make up the other.

The survivors of each pool will meet on Sunday, May 28 in a winner-take-all championship game.

The pool format, which some fans will remember from the World Baseball Classic, replaces the double-elimination format used previously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reach Bradford Doolittle, send e-mail to bdoolittle@kcstar.com

Horns still struggling with defense

UT meets Nebraska in key Big 12 series this weekend.

By Cedric Golden

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, April 21, 2006

High school buddies Nick Peoples and Chance Wheeless arrived at Disch-Falk Field on their off day Monday and put in some extra work.

It wasn't the usual batting cage fare, where players grab a stick and work out the kinks in their swings between games. These two were taking grounders.

MORE ON THIS STORY

More Longhorns coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOST POPULAR STORIES

Average Travis home appraisal to balloon 16 percent

Woman dies in one-car wreck in San Leanna

Will Smith Crashes Bar Mitzvah

Baylor students warned of penalties of Playboy posing

Statesman: Weather: Austin, TX Doppler Radar

Peoples' defensive struggles at third base this season have been emblematic of a Texas team that is tied with the 2003 Longhorns for the worst fielding percentage of the the last five years. The junior from Round Rock leads the team with 13 errors, and eight have come in the last six games.

"I played first base and he played third in high school (Round Rock)," Wheeless said. "He's one of the most capable third baseman I've been around and he's going through something that happens in baseball. He has a tendency to try and make the showtime play, and I told him to remember to keep it simple and fundamental."

The UT defense has been simply inconsistent so far. Entering tonight's opener of a three-game series against No. 4 Nebraska (30-5 overall, 10-2 Big 12), conference-leading Texas (27-13, 12-2) has committed 58 errors through 40 games.

"I put so much pressure on myself sometimes, and you can let it get the best of you," Peoples said. "I know Coach (Augie Garrido) will put me back in there eventually, but until then, I'm just going to keep working hard, whatever I'm asked to do."

For now, Peoples will occupy right field, where he started 52 games for the 2005 national champions. Garrido said he will start Clay Van Hook at third base tonight. The junior, who tore ligaments in his right arm during a fielding drill earlier this season, has experience at the position, having started 19 games at third in 2005 when starter David Maroul was injured.

Van Hook is hitting .243 in 20 games this season, but the team is in search of defensive stability to go with a high-powered offense that has hit a league-leading 24 homers in Big 12 play.

"We're still trying to find the right combination of infielders that will give us some consistency," Garrido said. "We'll continue to search until we find the answer."

Garrido believes freshman Bradley Suttle, who played third base in Tuesday's 14-10 loss at UT-San Antonio, is better suited for second base. And while an infield of first baseman Wheeless, Suttle at second, junior Chais Fuller at shortstop and Van Hook will be the lineup tonight, it may not be the one that will stick.

If Van Hook is ineffective at third, Garrido said he may move catcher Preston Clark there and shift reserve infielder Brett Lewis behind the plate.

When discussing the defensive issues on Wednesday, Garrido sounded as if Peoples would remain in right field, especially with freshman right fielder Jordan Danks lost, perhaps for the season, following surgery on his fractured right ankle Tuesday.

With Carson Kainer manning left field and the mercurial Drew Stubbs in center, Garrido is confident in the trio chasing down fly balls at spacious Disch-Falk. The infield, however, is a bigger concern on a defense that has committed 16 errors in its last five games, including three Tuesday, when nine of UTSA's 14 runs were unearned.

The extra at-bats Texas is giving opponents may also reflect in its 3.71 staff earned run average, respectable by most national standards but the highest of the decade at Texas.

"I'd rather win three games on the weekend if I had a choice," Kainer said. "The good thing is we understand we haven't solidified our infield yet, and things will click once we play the same guys consistently every day."

cgolden@statesman.com; 912-5944

4-Nebraska at 5-Texas

Where: Disch-Falk Field

Game times: 6:15 p.m. today, 2 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m. Sunday

Records: Nebraska is 30-5, 10-2 Big 12; Texas is 27-13, 12-2.

TV: KBEJ (Saturday)

Radio: KVET-AM (1300); Sirius Satellite Radio, channel 155 (Saturday and Sunday)

Friday's probable starters: Nebraska, RH Joba Chamberlain (5-2, 2.76 ERA); Texas, RH Kyle McCulloch (5-4, 3.03)

Saturday's probable starters: Nebraska, LH Tony Watson (6-0, 2.05); Texas, RH Adrian Alaniz (5-1, 3.65)

Sunday's probable starters: Nebraska, RH Johnny Dorn (6-2, 3.46); Texas, TBA

Getting defensive

How UT has fared defensively the past five years:

Fielding Errors/ Opponents

Year W-L pct. game ERA runs/game

2006 27-13 .962 1.45 3.71 5.0

2005 56-16 .978 0.86 2.80 3.4

2004 58-15 .974 1.04 2.66 3.2

2003 50-20 .962 1.55 3.50 4.2

2002 57-15 .972 1.08 2.82 3.3

Longhorns have test this weekend

Huskers' trip to Austin will show Horns if they have potential to repeat

10:29 PM CDT on Thursday, April 20, 2006

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Texas fans who don't pay attention to the baseball team until May should keep a close watch on Disch-Falk Field this weekend.

No. 4 Nebraska rolls into Austin for a three-game series against No. 5 UT that starts at 6:15 p.m. today. The Longhorns and Huskers are the top two teams in the Big 12 conference standings. And while this series won't decide the league championship, it will definitely give one team a leg up going into May.

But there's more at stake for UT than conference victories. This series will provide a glimpse into whether these Longhorns (27-13, 12-2 Big 12) truly have what it takes to defend their national championship come June.

Call it a Big Red Barometer. Nebraska (30-5) is 10-2 in league play.

Texas is still trying to find its rhythm even though a strong conference record indicates otherwise.

The offense seems to be coming together. Carson Kainer couldn't do anything as the team's designated hitter. So coach Augie Garrido moved Kainer back to the outfield, and the junior started tearing the cover off the ball again. Kainer's hitting .377 with 43 RBIs.

Drew Stubbs (.333, nine home runs) is also hitting like the star he is, and freshman Kyle Russell (.306, nine home runs) is swinging like a star in waiting.

But last weekend against Baylor, freshman Jordan Danks suffered a broken ankle after pivoting to run back to first base. He had surgery Tuesday, and doctors placed metal pins into the ankle. Danks was hitting .327 and might have become a solid leadoff candidate down the stretch. Now he's out, possibly until the Big 12 tournament.

Pitching-wise, there are some issues. Kyle McCulloch and Adrian Alaniz are the regular Friday and Saturday starters. But pitching coach Tom Holliday hasn't found a consistent third starter yet.

Right-hander Kenn Kasparek (3-1, 4.10) hasn't looked comfortable coming out of the bullpen. And nobody has taken control as a closer. Coaches are letting Austin Wood (four saves, 1.05 ERA) find his way. There may not be anyone with the slam-the-door stuff Huston Street and J. Brent Cox had.

Scary stat: Opponents are outscoring UT, 22-16, in the ninth inning this season. Last year's club allowed 15 runs in the ninth inning all year.

Another ominous sign: UT's fielding percentage (.962) is one of the worst in the Big 12. The Longhorns have committed 16 errors in the last six games.

Nebraska may be the major test Texas needs right now.

OU lurking, building up major steam: No. 15 Oklahoma (29-10, 8-4) keeps finding ways to win. The Sooners won two consecutive games in the ninth inning last weekend. Then came Tuesday's monster win over No. 2 Rice, 15-3. OU has won nine of its last 10 heading into a weekend series at Texas Tech (26-14, 6-7-1).

OU's formula for success is no secret; it's pitching and defense.

Steven Guerra is 8-1 with a 2.69 ERA. P.J. Sandoval got roughed up last weekend against Missouri, but he's still 5-1. Daniel McCutchen, who has a 1.35 career ERA against Tech, is 5-5.

The Sooners rank second nationally in fielding percentage (.983). They haven't committed an error in five games.

E-mail brdavis@dallasnews.com

TEXAS (27-13, 12-2) VS. NEBRASKA (30-5, 10-2)

Here's a look at the starting pitchers in this weekend's series at Disch-Falk Field:

Texas Cl. W-L ERA Nebraska Cl. W-L ERA

RHP Kyle McCulloch Jr. 5-4 3.03 RHP Joba Chamberlain Jr. 5-2 2.75

6:15 p.m. today: Chamberlain struck out 11 last week in 61/3 innings against Texas A&M.

RHP Adrian Alaniz Soph. 5-1 3.65 LHP Tony Watson Soph. 6-0 2.05

2 p.m. Saturday (FSN/Sirius Radio Ch. 155): Baylor piled up six runs off Alaniz last Friday. He lasted just 31/3 innings.

TBA TBA TBA TBA RHP Johnny Dorn Soph. 6-2 3.46

1 p.m. Sunday (Sirius Radio Ch. 155): Dorn gives Huskers a big mental edge if teams split first two games.

Huskers Take on ‘Horns for Big 12 Lead

2006 Record (30-5, 10-2 Big 12)

National Rankings: 4 (CB) • 4 (BA) • 4 (Sports Weekly) • 3 (NCBWA)

Day Date Rank Opponent Location TV Video Time

Fri. April 21 5/5/6 Texas (27-13, 12-2 Big 12) 6:15 p.m.

Sat. April 22 5/5/6 Texas 2:06 p.m.

Sun. April 23 5/5/6 Texas 1 p.m.

Polls are in the following order: Collegiate Baseball/Baseball America/Sports Weekly

Pitching Probables

Fri.

Joba Chamberlain, Jr., RHP (5-2, 2.76 ERA, 42.1 IP)

Kyle McCulloch, Jr., RHP (5-4, 3.03 ERA, 71.1 IP)

Sat.

Tony Watson, So., LHP (6-0, 2.05 ERA, 61.1)

Adrian Alaniz, So., RHP (5-1, 3.65 ERA, 66.2 IP)

Sun.

Johnny Dorn, So., RHP (6-2, 3.46 ERA, 52.0 IP)

TBA

Media Information

Live Stats: Huskers.com

Radio: Pinnacle Sports Network

Internet Radio: Huskers.com

Video Steaming: Texassports.com

Television: Saturday’s game will be shown nationally on Fox Sports Net (FSN)

Satelitte Radio: SIRIUS (Ch. 155 on Saturday and Sunday)

Huskers Take on ‘Horns for Big 12 Lead

The eyes of the college baseball world will be on Austin, Texas, this weekend, as No. 4 Nebraska takes on No. 5 Texas in a series with both Big 12 and national implications.

The three-game set at Disch-Falk Field begins Friday evening at 6:15 p.m. with afternoon games set for both Saturday (2 p.m.) and Sunday (1 p.m.) Saturday’s start time was moved from 3 p.m. to 2 p.m. so the game could be shown nationally on Fox Sports Net (Ch. 37 in Lincoln).

The series will be carried on the Pinnacle Sports Network, a 20-station network that includes KFAB 1110 AM in Omaha, 1400 AM in Lincoln and KRVN 880 AM in Lexington, along with an Internet broadcast at Huskers.com. Saturday and Sunday’s games will also be carried on SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Ch. 155).

The Huskers, who are 5-1 against ranked teams this season, brings a 12-game winning streak, the second-longest streak in the country, into Austin. Nebraska (30-5, 10-2 Big 12) tuned up for the weekend by earning wins over Creighton (4-2) and Nebraska-Kearney (15-2) during the week, as NU has allowed 11 runs in its last five contest.

In both games, the Huskers relied on their young arms, as redshirt freshman Charlie Shirek and true freshman Erik Bird combined for the win over Creighton, while six pitchers fired a four-hitter against the Lopers. Texas comes into the weekend looking to rebound following a 14-10 loss to Texas-San Antonio on Tuesday.

In the Big 12 race, Texas is 12-2 and sits in first place, a game up on the Huskers, who are 10-2 and have played one less weekend series. The Longhorns have won six straight in Big 12 play, including a sweep of No. 19 Baylor last weekend, while the Huskers have won eight in a row in conference play, including sweeps at Missouri and against Texas A&M. The two teams have distanced themselves in the league race, as only the Huskers, Longhorns and Oklahoma are above .500 in the league.

The Huskers have been an excellent road team in 2006, going 15-3 away from Hawks Field, including a 9-3 record in true road contests. NU brings a streak of 10 straight Big 12 series wins dating back to last April, including six in a road on the road.

Texas has been equally tough at home, winning 15 of 17 games and have not dropped a three-game league series in Austin since dropping 2-of-3 to the Huskers in 2003. Nebraska leads the all-time series, 20-16, including a 9-6 record at Disch-Falk Field, but have not won the season series since 2003.

Leading Off

•-Nebraska brings the 12-game winning streak that dates back to April 1. It is the second-longest active streak in the country heading into this weekend’s action.

Nation’s Longest Winning Streaks

No. Team Games

1 Notre Dame 19

2. Nebraska 12

3. Elon University 8

Rhode Island 8

Savannah State 8

• Nebraska’s .857 winning percentage is the best in the country heading into this weekend.

•-Nebraska has gotten off to fast starts, outscoring its opponents 41-7 in the first inning of games this season. In fact, NU has scored at least one run in the first inning of 15 of its last 21 contests.

•-Entering this weekend’s series at Texas, NU is now as high as fifth in the latest simulated RPI (warrennolan.com and Boydsworld.com). NU is 20-3 against teams rated in the top-100 of the RPI. As a league, the Big 12 is third in the RPI, as all 10 members are ranked in the top-75 nationally.

•-NU is off to one of its best starts in school history, as its 30-5 record is the second-best start after 35 games in school history, a game ahead of last season’s team that won a school-record 57 games. That fact is more impressive since NU has played one of the most difficult preconference schedules in school history.

•-Nebraska is well represented in the latest NCAA stats released April 19. The Huskers rank in the top-20 in four team categories, including fielding percentage (.976, 10th), ERA (3.07, 10th) slugging percentage. (.512, 10th) and batting average (.326, 19th). Individually, Luke Gorsett ranks among the national leaders in homers per game (sixth), slugging percentage (sixth) and RBIs per game (49th). Other Huskers ranked include Brandon Buckman, who is 19th in homers per game and Brett Jensen, who is 25th nationally in saves with seven. Gorsett’s 14 homers also ranks in the top-10 in total homers.

•-Nebraska and Cal State Fullerton are the only two schools in the country to rank in the top-10 in both ERA and fielding percentage.

•-One of NU’s keys to success is the ability to run while shutting down other team’s running games. NU is second in the Big 12 with 62 stolen bases, including 21-of-26 in Big 12 play, and is allowing a league-low 16 stolen bases, including four in conference play.

•-Nebraska’s offense has been on a tear over the last three weeks, hitting .335 as a team over the last 18 games, including a season-high 24 hits at Iowa on April 11. The 24 hits against Iowa was NU’s highest single-game total since a school-record 35 hits against Chicago State on March 16, 1999.

•-Jeff Christy has been effective offensively and behind the plate in recent weeks. He is hitting .369 in his last 15 games, raising his average from .177 to a career-best .284.

•-Nebraska has held 27 of its first 35 opponents to four runs or less this season and its 3.5 runs allowed per game is fifth nationally.

•-Nebraska has already sold out all the reserved and club seats at Hawks Field for the 2006 season. NU ranked sixth nationally in average attendance, averaging a school-record 4,984 fans per game in 2005. NU’s number is based on actual game attendance, not tickets sold.

•-Nebraska is one of only three teams in the country that returned two pitchers who won at least 10 games in 2005 (Oregon State and Miami of Ohio are the others).

•-Nebraska is one of only seven teams in all of Division I baseball to post team ERAs below 4.00 over the last four years, joining Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, Oral Roberts, Rice, Texas and Wichita State. The Huskers were second nationally with a 2.69 team ERA in 2005.

•-Nebraska is one of only six programs nationally to reach the College World Series in three of the past five seasons, joining Cal State Fullerton, Miami, South Carolina, Stanford and Texas. The Big 12 is the only league with more than one team in that group.

•- Nebraska has scored at least one run in each of its last 166 games dating back to the start of the 2004 campaign. The streak is the longest in the Big 12, while NU has scored in 497 of the last 498 games dating back to the 1998 season.

•-NU already has nine come-from-behind wins this season, including overcoming a four-run deficit at Missouri on April 9.

•-NU already has nine come-from-behind wins this season, including overcoming a four-run deficit at Missouri on April 9.

•-Junior right fielder Luke Gorsett enters the weekend riding a 16-game hit streak that dates back to March 25 and is closing in on NU’s top-10 list for longest hit streak.

Last Time Out

Wednesday (NU 15, UNK 2): – Nick Jaros hit two homers and drove in four RBIs, while six Husker pitchers held Nebraska-Kearney to just four hits in a 15-2 win. Jaros paced a 19-hit Husker attack with his first career four-hit game, belting his third and fourth homers of the season and driving in career-high four RBIs. Jaros was one of three Huskers who picked up four-hit days in the win, as Nick Sullivan and Brandon Buckman also enjoyed four-hit afternoons. Jon Klausing picked up the win, allowing one hit over three shutout innings, as he retired the final nine hitters he faced.

Tuesday (NU 4, Creighton 2): Charlie Shirek allowed two runs over 7.2 innings, while Luke Gorsett drove in two runs, leading No. 4 Nebraska to a 4-2 win over Creighton. Shirek took a shutout into the eighth, as he scattered nine hits and fanned three to improve to 2-1 on the season. Erik Bird then slammed the door, getting the Huskers out of a two-on, two-out situation in the eighth before retiring the side in order in the ninth for his first career save. Gorsett provided the game’s big hit with a two-run double in the first off Creighton starter and loser Jeff Daneff. Bryce Nimmo also homered for NU, which was out-hit 9-6, by the Bluejays.

Scouting Texas

Legendary Head Coach Augie Garrido’s Longhorns are 27-13 on the year and sit in first place in the Big 12 with a 12-2 mark. The Longhorns, who were tabbed No. 1 at the start of the year, got off to a slow start, going 8-9 in its first 17 games before 19-4 since then to enjoy its best Big 12 start since the 2000 season.

Offensively, the Longhorns feature two of the Big 12’s top offensive threats in outfielders Drew Stubbs and Carson Kainer. Stubbs, a two-year member of Team USA and a likely first-round pick, is hitting .333 with nine homers, 36 RBIs and a team-best 15 stolen bases. Kainer has been UT’s top run producer, hitting .377 with 15 doubles and a team-best 43 RBIs.

On the mound, Texas returns its entire starting rotation from last year’s CWS champions, including right-handers Kyle McCulloch (5-4, 3.03 ERA) and Adrian Alaniz (5-1, 3.65 ERA), while the Longhorn bullpen has combined for 12 saves, including four by Austin Wood and three by Kenn Kasparek.

Nebraska has the distinction of being the only Big 12 team with an all-time series lead over Texas, posting a 20-16 mark in a series that dates back to 1954. Last season, Texas won 2-of-3 games in Lincoln, which is the last Big 12 series the Huskers have lost. NU is looking for its first series win since 2003 and last won in Austin in 2002, taking 2-of-3 from a team that won the NCAA title that season