#4 Nebraska @ #5 Texas

things are ugly and are getting uglier.. bottom of the 4th, 4-0 Texas, and our bats are  broke. 

but on a lighter note i heard Pink Floyd in the background so that cheers me up a little

lol glad the team made me eat crow..

well they won...and you heard pink floyd in the background of the game today...sounds like you had a great day! lol, GBR! :thumbs

Huskers rally to stop Longhorns 7-5

BY CURT McKEEVER / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 - 07:19:29 pm CDT

AUSTIN, Texas — It wasn’t the 90-plus-degree heat at Disch-Falk Field on Saturday afternoon that left Texas’ fifth-ranked and fat-and-feasting baseball team the big loser.

The Longhorns melted courtesy of one big inning by Nebraska and an even bigger catch by left fielder Nick Jaros that turned the fourth-ranked Huskers into 7-5 victors.

One day after dropping a 6-2 decision in which it fell behind 5-0, NU nearly duplicated that before a crowd of 6,383 by falling into a 4-0 hole after three innings.

But with redshirt freshman Charlie Shirek picking up unbeaten teammate Tony Watson, who had been lit up for nine hits in 21/3 innings, Nebraska put up six runs in the fifth inning to produce its 10th come-from-behind win of the season.

Advertisement

Without Jaros’ acrobatic catch of a drive hit by Preston Clark in the seventh, which started an inning-ending double play, the Huskers probably wouldn’t have come away from Saturday’s action with a chance to take first place in the Big 12 Conference from the Longhorns today.

“I told you I’m not the smoothest out there,” said Jaros, who tracked down Clark’s fly and caught it from a seated position on the warning track. “I heard it off the bat wrong, came charging in, took a couple wrong steps and realized it was way over my head. I put my head down and started running to get back there. By the time I looked back up, it was in front of me. My cleat got caught in the turf and all kinds of stuff happened.

“I saw a blur of a baseball and stuck my glove out where the blur was and the ball went in.”

That wasn’t the worst part for Texas, which had runners at first and third with no outs when Drew Stubbs, trying to steal second, was called out on a bang-bang play. The Longhorns then pulled to 6-5 when Chance Wheeless, who started the inning with a ground-rule double, came across on a wild pitch by Shirek that also left strikeout victim Carson Kainer at first.

But Kainer, taking off at the crack of Clark’s blast, was near third base when Jaros caught it and was easily doubled up at first.

“I was shocked it stayed in (the park), and the way (Jaros) played it I was totally baffled when he caught it,” said Texas coach Augie Garrido, whose team had a seven-game winning streak in league play snapped.

“I saw an entertainer from Cirque du Soleil do that once. If (Jaros) was on my team, I’d say he’s a very exciting player. ... Great effort and recovery.”

The same thing could be said of Nebraska’s offense in the fifth.

Prior to that inning, the Huskers had managed just two hits against left-handed freshman Riley Boening, and had two of the innings end on double plays.

But Andrew Brown, the Huskers’ lone Texan, got the fifth going with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch. Jeff Christy followed with an RBI single to make it 4-1.

A single by Jake Mort and walk to Bryce Nimmo left the Longhorns in a bases-loaded situation, and they chose to face it with Kenn Kasparek taking over for Boening. But the junior right-hander walked Jaros on five pitches, then gave up a two-run single to Ryan Wehrle that also scored Jaros and allowed Wehrle to reach third because center fielder Stubbs let the ball skip under his glove for an error.

Reliever Kyle Walker kept Wehrle at third by retiring Brandon Buckman on a grounder to short, but Luke Gorsett slapped a 1-2 pitch into left to make it 6-4 and leave NU with its second-best scoring inning of the season.

After Texas pulled to 6-5, the Huskers added an insurance run in the eighth, when Gorsett, who’d led off with a double, scored from third on a two-out wild pitch by Walker.

After freshman Zach Herr needed just eight pitches to retire Texas in order in the bottom half, the Horns got something going in the ninth against preseason All-American Brett Jensen.

Jensen walked pinch-hitter Hunter Harris with one out, and yielded a two-out single to Stubbs. But after NU coach Mike Anderson went to the mound for a quick visit, the senior proceeded to strike out Kainer, looking, at a 1-2 delivery.

Thus, instead of looking to salvage a win out of the series, Nebraska (31-6 overall and 11-3 Big 12) can overtake Texas (28-14, 13-3) in today’s 1 p.m. series finale.

“You start thinking, ‘Here we go again,’ ” Anderson said in regard to thoughts he had after Texas had grabbed its quick 4-0 lead. “I was real happy about the way the kids came back.

“The biggest thing was Charlie Shirek. To get ahold of it the way he did allowed us to have a big inning.”

Shirek, who went 72/3 innings against Creighton on Tuesday, went 42/3 Saturday to pick up his second win of the week.

Reach Curt McKeever at 473-7441 or cmckeever@journalstar.com.

No. 4 Huskers Rally for 7-5 Win over No. 5 Texas

Austin, Texas – Ryan Wehrle’s two-run fifth-inning single highlighted a six-run inning, while Charlie Shirek turned in a lights-out performance in relief, as fourth-ranked Nebraska overcame a 4-0 deficit to defeat No. 5 Texas, 7-5 in front of a crowd of 6,383 at Disch-Falk Field and a national television audience.

Trailing 4-2, Wehrle provided the game’s biggest hit, a two-run bases-loaded single to center off Longhorn reliever Kenn Kasparek that skipped past UT center fielder Drew Stubbs, allowing all three runs to score and give NU a 5-4 lead. The Huskers (31-6, 11-3 Big 12) pushed across another run on Luke Gorsett’s two-out, RBI single and then used a strong efforts by Shirek, Zach Herr and Brett Jensen to secure the win in the late innings.

“The biggest thing was Charlie’s pitching today,” NU Head Coach Mike Anderson said. “We have had great outings from Tony (Watson) all season, but today wasn’t his day. Charlie came in and held them and that allowed us to get back in the game. You have to give a lot of credit to Charlie for the job he did today.”

Shirek (3-1) earned his second win of the week, coming into the game in the third and holding the Longhorns (28-14, 13-3 Big 12) to one run on three hits over 4.2 innings for the win. Herr and Jensen both tossed scoreless innings of relief, as Jensen collected his eighth save, striking out Carson Kainer with runners on first and second to end the game.

The victory was NU’s 10th come-from-behind win this season, while the four-run deficit matched the largest the Huskers haver overcome this season. NU was out-hit 13-8, but took advantage of two key walks in the fifth that helped open the floodgates.

Texas scored two runs in both the second and third innings off NU starter Tony Watson, who went just 2.1 innings. In the second, consecutive singles by Brett Lewis and Bradley Suttle put runners on first and second. After a sacrifice bunt, Clay Van Hook reached on a fielder’s choice that plated Lewis with the first run and advanced to second on the rundown of Suttle between second and third. Nick Peoples then gave the Longhorns a two-run lead with an RBI single to score Van Hook.

The Longhorns chased Watson in the third with a two-run single by Lewis through the Huskers’ drawn in infield. Shirek then came in for Watson and got the Huskers out of jam, getting an inning-ending double play to help spark the Huskers' turnaround.

Texas left-hander Riley Boening was cruising along, taking a shutout into the fifth until the Huskers fought back with one of their best innings of the year. NU sent 10 men to the plate and scored six times, its second-largest single-inning total of the season.

Andrew Brown opened the frame with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch before Jeff Christy’s RBI single put the Huskers on the board. A Jake Mort single and a Bryce Nimmo walk loaded the bases with one out. Kasparek came out of the bullpen, but was unable to stop the rally, walking Nick Jaros to cut the lead to 4-2. Wehrle then sent a 1-1 pitch to center that scooted by Stubbs, allowing all three runs to score Two batters later, Gorsett pushed the Husker lead to 6-4 with an RBI single off Kyle Walker, extending Gorsett’s hit streak to 18 games.

Texas finally got to Shirek in the seventh, plating a run before Jaros’ sprawling catch ended UT’s rally. Chance Wheeless opened the seventh with a double before Stubbs’ single put runners at the corners. With one out, Shirek struck out Kainer, but the ball bounced away, allowing Wheeless to score and pull UT within 6-5. Preston Clark sent Shirek’s 1-1 offering deep to left, as Jaros misplayed the ball, but recovered and caught the ball as he stumbled on the warning track. Jaros then got up and began a 7-4-3 inning-ending double play, as Kainer was rounding third as the catch was being made.

The Huskers got the run back in the top of the eighth off Walker, as Gorsett doubled, moved to third on a Brown sacrifice bunt before scoring on a wild pitch by the Texas left-hander to give NU a 7-5 cushion.

The series continues Sunday afternoon with a first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. The game will be carried across the state on the Pinnacle Sports Network, including KFAB 1110 AM in Omaha, KLIN 1400 AM in Lincoln, on the Internet at Huskers.com and on SIRIUS Satellite Radio (Ch. 155).

For those not listening to the game. It is 6-0 bottom of the 8th, good guys. Dorn is great today, defense has been awesome, and our bats have been effective. I am so happy about our team right now being able to come back from a terrible game on friday to have a great opportunity to take teh series. We are showing a lot of heart and hard work this year. Good job guys.

The skers seem to be jelling quite nicely. I read in the paper the other day that Kyle Peterson said that the Huskers are built for Omaha. Solid 3 starters(and working on a fourth now), solid defensively, top to bottom good hitters and a lights out closer. I'm gonna go to the CWS regardless, but hopefully I am watching the Huskers play again this year. :thumbs