It's time to give up.

bale

Nebraska's past is dead in terms of being an anchor for any future success.

The culture did not die with Solich, it mostly died with Callahan but not completely.

Pelini was doing a pretty good job restoring it, but then Perlman finally killed it off once and for all via Eichorst and then Riley.

That doesn't mean there aren't things still worth supporting.

Last year I was all over Riley. This year I've seen the improvements, and the crap that dude has had to deal with in 2 years at Nebraska and we are fortunate we have such a great guy and good coach at the helm. We simply are outmanned at the moment. Riley is getting his recruits to Nebraska and things will continue to improve.

Bo's greatest years were with Callahan's highly ranked recruits. Bo's players he recruited are not the type of guys to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. Not to take anything away from those players or the improvements they have made, but the simple truth is we aren't better then some of these elite teams. Argue it all you want, but look at the track record over the last 9 years.

Nebraska is getting better. Tonight sure as heck didn't show it, but tonight is just one night in a process of rebuilding. Whether we want to admit it or not, when Riley came in it was a rebuilding time, that has proven evident over the losses last year and this year with Wisconsin and Ohio State. We need to get the players in here, which we are, before we start really competing.

Nebraska's past is dead in terms of being an anchor for any future success.
The culture did not die with Solich, it mostly died with Callahan but not completely.
Pelini was doing a pretty good job restoring it, but then Perlman finally killed it off once and for all via Eichorst and then Riley.
That doesn't mean there aren't things still worth supporting.

Pelini is an a-hole and wasn't restoring anything. He served up nights like tonight several times every year.

Make sure you pass that on to your kids. I need someone to make my sausage mc muffin in the morning.

The people who get up to work and make a decent product are ballers by comparison to the OP.

I'd peg his attitude at more like the guy who get's 21 percent disability for trigger finger and spends his time walking to the library to watch VHS tapes on motorcycle repair and basket weaving.

I know you want to think NU will be back. That someday, NU will intimidate their opponents the way we did from 71 til 97.

But we won't.

Give up. It's over.

You should've seen this coming. We barely beat Purdue and Illinois this year. And we lost to them last year. We all thought - "well, we won this year!". Doesn't matter. As soon as we play a team with a pulse, we lose. Badly.

It's going to be like this forever.

I recommend saving yourself the heartbreak. Stop watching. It's over. We tried. But 4 hires after Tom and all we got is a perennial 50% win rate coach. That's all we could muster. And he fits us well. Because that's all we're gonna be. We won't be Rutgers, but we will be Iowa. In 2050, they'll look at us the way they look at Minnesota now.

Face it - you know it's true.

I've joked about Nebraska reaching MInnesota status in the past but those were just jokes. While the glory days are probably going to be hard to match in the future it doesn't mean they're completely out of reach, all it takes it the right set of conditions to arise. We've seen that recently with ND, FSU, and now maybe Washington. Granted those are just single seasons but I digress.

Nebraska won't become Minnesota, the space between the programs is too large. You're just going to have to come to grips with the same reality that almost everyone else is living in with the state of college football today; with the conference restructuring and evolution of the game it is very very hard to build dominant programs...there's really only one in the entire country and that's Alabama. The days of the domination you saw in the Big Eight will never return, you have too much competition. Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State are in the same boat. The days of Ohio State just strolling through the conference only sweating UM are loooong gone. They were reminded of that two weeks ago. Your pining for something that you'll never get not, and that isn't because of some failing on you're part, it's just damn near impossible. Settle in to the new status quo, you're going to have to fight for every game. There's more parity. Everything is more competitive and it is much more fun this way.