Vol fan visiting Lincoln / Memorial Stadium

Vols1891

Thanks for the replies and advice!

Just out of curiosity, I was looking to see how many times Tennessee and Nebraska have played each other and was surprised to see it has only been twice...the 98 Orange Bowl and the 2000 Fiesta...both won by you guys as I'm sure you remember. With both of our programs being around since the late 1800s, you'd think we would have played each other some more throughout the years. You guys were originally supposed to play us in a home and away this year and next but you ended up changing your schedule and playing Oregon instead (can't remember what the reason was) and our series got moved back to 2026 (in Lincoln) and 2027 (in Knoxville). It's kind of crazy how far in advance they schedule these things.

It was rescheduled for your game in Bristol this year I believe. Id also say wear your Vols gear
I think I might actually wear my "fake" Orange Bowl shirt if I can find it. It's kind of a funny story...my friend's dad owned a company in Knoxville that printed up t-shirts and did a lot of stuff for the UT athletic department at the time. So before certain games, such as the Orange Bowl in 98, they would go ahead and print up shirts with a logo on there saying something like "Tennessee Volunteers - 1998 Orange Bowl Champions!" I guess that way they can get them out fast without having to wait for them to be printed after the game. So when we ended up losing, they obviously can't sell them, so I was given a couple for free. I used to work out in one of them a lot, and there were a couple instances where Nebraska fans came up and asked me about it, as they obviously knew that Tennessee was not in fact the 1998 Orange Bowl champs!

Hope you're still around for this Vols1891. My parents took a road trip vacation and passed through about every state in the southeastern part of the country. Upon their return they couldn't say enough nice things about the people and places of Tennessee.

I have a hobby where i play the last version of the NCAA Football game. In the game you can rename coaches and I often assign friends and family to teams. When I asked my mom hands down without hesitation said "Tennessee" when she knew Nebraska was off the table.

Also you absolutely nailed it with the Tennessee/Nebraska comparisons. I've often thought the same way but you brought even more parallels to my attention.

Hope you're still around for this Vols1891. My parents took a road trip vacation and passed through about every state in the southeastern part of the country. Upon their return they couldn't say enough nice things about the people and places of Tennessee.

I have a hobby where i play the last version of the NCAA Football game. In the game you can rename coaches and I often assign friends and family to teams. When I asked my mom hands down without hesitation said "Tennessee" when she knew Nebraska was off the table.

Also you absolutely nailed it with the Tennessee/Nebraska comparisons. I've often thought the same way but you brought even more parallels to my attention.

I'm still around! Great to hear that your parents enjoyed Tennessee and the friendly people. I live in Atlanta now and definitely miss that Tennessee hospitality sometimes. Good luck to the Huskers today. We've got Kentucky at noon if anyone is looking for an early game to watch. So we've both got important games today against teams that seem to be a little better this year than they usually are...Kentucky is second in the SEC East at the moment, and Minnesota has had about the quietest 7-2 season so far in the country. Both games are important in terms of restoring some confidence in both the team and in our coaching staff in light of recent games. But I'm predicting you guys squeak out a close one at 24-21 and set yourselves up in a good spot for the final two games. I leave for Omaha on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I've always been really interested in trains and the Old West so I'm going to check out the Union Pacific museum, which I believe is just a little over the state line in Council Bluffs.

Hey guys, just wanted to ask for some suggestions on things to do and see as I'll be making my first visit to Lincoln in a couple weeks to attend the Maryland game. First of all, I am from Tennessee (although currently living in Atlanta) and am a Vols fan, but I'm also just a big fan of college football in general, especially programs with a lot of history and tradition, like Nebraska. I love going to new stadiums and have been to most in the SEC, as well as some out of conference ones, such as Oregon. So when I found out I was going on a business trip to Omaha the same week as a home game, I couldn't pass on the opportunity to stay an extra couple days and go to the game. First of all, does anyone know when they will announce the starting time for this game? I am going to come into Lincoln Friday afternoon and stay in the downtown area until Sunday morning. So I was just wondering if you had any tips on fun stuff (football-related or otherwise) to do when not at the game. It's just going to be me and one of my coworkers, who is a Georgia fan. I am really looking forward to it as Nebraska has been on my bucket list for a long time. I was sorry to see how Saturday's game turned out for you guys, but I know you're much better than the score showed and will hopefully bounce back strong. By the way, has anyone heard any updates on when Tommy Armstrong will be able to play? I was obviously very happy to see him return to the stadium so fast on Saturday after the injury, but I assume he will likely have to sit at least 1 week if he had a concussion, right?

You sir, are in for a real treat.

Check out Misty's Reataurant in Holdredge on Friday Night.

Great atmosphere.

If you want more...

Check out the Haymarket/Rail Yard.

Fun shops and a bit of exploration.

Good places to eat too.

Hangout with us NU fans.

We're always good for a free drink or two.

;)

Question- have you thought about attending the basketball game tomorrow night as well? I think you'll be really impressed/surprised by the arena and the crowd at PBA. For a non-basketball school we really have phenomenal crowd support.

I just now read this, but we actually did go to the basketball game too. We had a really great time all around! I'll post more about it when I have the time...just landed at the airport.

• Fire 1

Hey guys, I just wanted to follow up again on this and say how much I enjoyed my time in Omaha and Lincoln and how impressed I was with all the fans and their hospitality! We came into Lincoln on Friday night and took Uber out to a few bars near campus, including The Single Barrel. I wore my Tennessee gear as you guys suggested, and it turned out to be a great conversation starter. The fans I met were all great, even the drunk ones, and I could tell how passionate everyone is about football and the Huskers. Going out in Lincoln did remind me of Knoxville in a lot of ways, but just with less rednecks! Being that the game was at 11, and we weren't feeling too great the next morning, we didn't get up early enough to tailgate much, which is the only real regret I have. I did buy a Nebraska hat before the game, so I was rocking my orange Tennessee shirt and sweatshirt with a red Nebraska hat, which did draw a few questions from people...again a good conversation starter. We had really good seats for the game, and I really liked Memorial Stadium. Obviously it was not too loud given the early start time and the way Nebraska dominated from start to finish, but I could see how it would be a very tough place to play for visiting teams during bigger, primetime games. I know Neyland seats about 12,000 to 15,000 more but it felt like the same size to me. It kind of reminded me of Georgia's stadium somewhat in terms of the layout (and obviously all of the red everywhere). After the game we met some cool people from Ogallala and went to eat and visited a few more bars with them where we watched the Tennessee vs Missouri game. They had extra tickets to the basketball game that night, which we didn't even know about (I don't think Tennessee hardly ever plays home basketball and football games the same day). So they actually gave us the basketball tickets for free, which was really nice. I didn't realize you all had such a nice, modern basketball arena. I was still hungry from all the drinking earlier in the day, so I tore up the concession stands at the arena...spent like $50 on food and drinks but it was good stuff! Anyway, as you're probably aware, Nebraska won against LA Tech in the bball game, so it was a strong weekend for Husker sports. Your basketball team reminds me a lot of Tennessee the way they play. There was a good crowd there too, especially considering there had just been a football game hours before. It was probably the nicest college basketball arena I've ever been to in terms of amenities and the overall fan experience. Question for you guys, and I don't mean this in any kind of condescending way, but have you guys ever had much success in men's basketball? You just don't really hear much about Nebraska basketball in the national media, so I just don't know much about the history of your program. I guess that's why I was kind of surprised by how nice the arena was. In terms of your overall sports facilities, I would think you have to be top 5 in the nation. People in SEC country get cocky about our facilities, but overall I think Nebraska is the best I've ever seen, and I've been to the majority of the SEC schools, as well as Oregon, Oklahoma and a few other out of conference schools. Anyway, after the basketball game, we were exhausted and took Uber back to the hotel. We spent Sunday morning sightseeing around Lincoln, which was a lot of fun as well. I just wanted to let you guys know what a good time we had and thank you for all the hospitality...maybe we will meet in a bowl game!

• Fire 5

Hey guys, I just wanted to follow up again on this and say how much I enjoyed my time in Omaha and Lincoln and how impressed I was with all the fans and their hospitality! We came into Lincoln on Friday night and took Uber out to a few bars near campus, including The Single Barrel. I wore my Tennessee gear as you guys suggested, and it turned out to be a great conversation starter. The fans I met were all great, even the drunk ones, and I could tell how passionate everyone is about football and the Huskers. Going out in Lincoln did remind me of Knoxville in a lot of ways, but just with less rednecks! Being that the game was at 11, and we weren't feeling too great the next morning, we didn't get up early enough to tailgate much, which is the only real regret I have. I did buy a Nebraska hat before the game, so I was rocking my orange Tennessee shirt and sweatshirt with a red Nebraska hat, which did draw a few questions from people...again a good conversation starter. We had really good seats for the game, and I really liked Memorial Stadium. Obviously it was not too loud given the early start time and the way Nebraska dominated from start to finish, but I could see how it would be a very tough place to play for visiting teams during bigger, primetime games. I know Neyland seats about 12,000 to 15,000 more but it felt like the same size to me. It kind of reminded me of Georgia's stadium somewhat in terms of the layout (and obviously all of the red everywhere). After the game we met some cool people from Ogallala and went to eat and visited a few more bars with them where we watched the Tennessee vs Missouri game. They had extra tickets to the basketball game that night, which we didn't even know about (I don't think Tennessee hardly ever plays home basketball and football games the same day). So they actually gave us the basketball tickets for free, which was really nice. I didn't realize you all had such a nice, modern basketball arena. I was still hungry from all the drinking earlier in the day, so I tore up the concession stands at the arena...spent like $50 on food and drinks but it was good stuff! Anyway, as you're probably aware, Nebraska won against LA Tech in the bball game, so it was a strong weekend for Husker sports. Your basketball team reminds me a lot of Tennessee the way they play. There was a good crowd there too, especially considering there had just been a football game hours before. It was probably the nicest college basketball arena I've ever been to in terms of amenities and the overall fan experience. Question for you guys, and I don't mean this in any kind of condescending way, but have you guys ever had much success in men's basketball? You just don't really hear much about Nebraska basketball in the national media, so I just don't know much about the history of your program. I guess that's why I was kind of surprised by how nice the arena was. In terms of your overall sports facilities, I would think you have to be top 5 in the nation. People in SEC country get cocky about our facilities, but overall I think Nebraska is the best I've ever seen, and I've been to the majority of the SEC schools, as well as Oregon, Oklahoma and a few other out of conference schools. Anyway, after the basketball game, we were exhausted and took Uber back to the hotel. We spent Sunday morning sightseeing around Lincoln, which was a lot of fun as well. I just wanted to let you guys know what a good time we had and thank you for all the hospitality...maybe we will meet in a bowl game!

Glad you had a good time. First off let me commend you for your close guess in your response to my post. You guessed 24-21 against Minny, so only 4 points off (24-17)!

Also your comment about trains makes me wonder if I had trains mentioned in my profile. Did you get to check out the museum in Omaha? If you ever wanna talk trains hit me up. Nebraska has a rich history of railroading. Union Pacific HQ in Omaha (founded by Abe Lincoln), busiest freight corridor in the country between Kearney and North Platte (close to 140 trains per day) and Bailey yard in North Platte that I think is actually in the Guinness world record books for largest railroad classification yard in the world. Add to that BNSF line through the Sandhills to the busy Wyoming coal fields and per captia the most rail traffic in the country.

As for the basketball team, no, not a lot of success, I am a long suffering NU basketball fan. In fact my fandom of the Basketball team actually pre-dates my interest in NU football. Wasn't a huge NU football fan until I met a certain...now often forgotten about Nebraska QB at a very young age at a NU basketball game. I believe we are only power five team to have never won an NCAA tourney game, although we made sparse appearances. Our hayday (at least in my lifetime) was the early 90's. We have won a conference tourney and an NIT Tourney though.

Glad you had a good time. First off let me commend you for your close guess in your response to my post. You guessed 24-21 against Minny, so only 4 points off (24-17)!

Also your comment about trains makes me wonder if I had trains mentioned in my profile. Did you get to check out the museum in Omaha? If you ever wanna talk trains hit me up. Nebraska has a rich history of railroading. Union Pacific HQ in Omaha (founded by Abe Lincoln), busiest freight corridor in the country between Kearney and North Platte (close to 140 trains per day) and Bailey yard in North Platte that I think is actually in the Guinness world record books for largest railroad classification yard in the world. Add to that BNSF line through the Sandhills to the busy Wyoming coal fields and per captia the most rail traffic in the country.

As for the basketball team, no, not a lot of success, I am a long suffering NU basketball fan. In fact my fandom of the Basketball team actually pre-dates my interest in NU football. Wasn't a huge NU football fan until I met a certain...now often forgotten about Nebraska QB at a very young age at a NU basketball game. I believe we are only power five team to have never won an NCAA tourney game, although we made sparse appearances. Our hayday (at least in my lifetime) was the early 90's. We have won a conference tourney and an NIT Tourney though.

Nope- were at least better than Northwestern, they've never even made the tournament!

Nope- were at least better than Northwestern, they've never even made the tournament!

Oh, I thought they snuck in recently and ended that....thank god for Northwestern Basketball.....

Glad you enjoyed yourself Vol. I've been a Husker fan my entire life and even though I went to school at UConn I try to bring a friend or 2 to a game at UNL every year and they're always blown away by Lincoln and the facilities. Lincoln really is the quintessential college town, just enough professional business to establish a legitimate city but not so much that it overpowers the impact that the university has on the community. Everyone always expects cornfields but when you get into Lincoln it is really really hard to not have a great time.

I went to my first game at Pinnacle Bank Arena (PBA) last year against Ohio State. What a blast that was. For as bad as our basketball team is seemingly year in and year out we have very good fan support. Miles is doing well and I think we will continue to improve if we are patient and let him develop the guys he's brought in. He's recruiting better than any coach we've ever had, now its just a process of bringing those guys together.

I was hoping to get to Knoxville for the UConn home and home series we had scheduled but that's been put off indefinitely. May have to sneak over next season as I'm in Charlotte and it isn't too far away. Anyways I'm glad you enjoyed your experience! GBR & GBO

Awesome write-up, Vols. So great that you wore your Tennessee shirt with the Husker hat.

This might be interesting to you - Lincoln seems to have built the arena where the basketball team in part to compete with Omaha. It's been said that many UNL grads move to Omaha after graduation, and we've heard that the arena was an attempt in part (obviously not the only reason - it's also great for our economy) to create more "atmosphere" and compete with Omaha.

I'm going to assume that it usually doesn't get as cold for your games in Tennessee as the temp you had in Lincoln on Saturday, correct? How was the weather? Really wound up being a pretty nice day if you had sunlight in the stadium.

Awesome write-up, Vols. So great that you wore your Tennessee shirt with the Husker hat.

This might be interesting to you - Lincoln seems to have built the arena where the basketball team in part to compete with Omaha. It's been said that many UNL grads move to Omaha after graduation, and we've heard that the arena was an attempt in part (obviously not the only reason - it's also great for our economy) to create more "atmosphere" and compete with Omaha.

I'm going to assume that it usually doesn't get as cold for your games in Tennessee as the temp you had in Lincoln on Saturday, correct? How was the weather? Really wound up being a pretty nice day if you had sunlight in the stadium.

It was colder than a typical Tennessee game but honestly it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. Everyone back home kept telling me how cold it would be, so I was almost expecting arctic temperatures by the time I got up there. I dressed warmly for the game and had the sun on me, so it wasn't bad at all. Where it got really cold was when we were walking around at nighttime in the downtown area checking out the bars. How much snow do you all typically get in Lincoln?