Vol fan visiting Lincoln / Memorial Stadium

Vols1891

Vols - Glad you had a good time. Re: "Have you guys ever had much success in basketball?" question.

Hopefully you didn't miss it while you were at the concessions... we had a welcome ceremony for the 1996 NIT winners! :D Hahahahahah. That's about it.

Haha, now that you mention it, I do remember that. Does your women's volleyball team play in the new basketball arena too, or are they in a smaller venue?

Vols - Glad you had a good time. Re: "Have you guys ever had much success in basketball?" question.

Hopefully you didn't miss it while you were at the concessions... we had a welcome ceremony for the 1996 NIT winners! :D Hahahahahah. That's about it.

Haha, now that you mention it, I do remember that. Does your women's volleyball team play in the new basketball arena too, or are they in a smaller venue?

They play at Devaney iirc, where our basketball team used to play until recently.

Awesome write-up, Vols. So great that you wore your Tennessee shirt with the Husker hat.

This might be interesting to you - Lincoln seems to have built the arena where the basketball team in part to compete with Omaha. It's been said that many UNL grads move to Omaha after graduation, and we've heard that the arena was an attempt in part (obviously not the only reason - it's also great for our economy) to create more "atmosphere" and compete with Omaha.

I'm going to assume that it usually doesn't get as cold for your games in Tennessee as the temp you had in Lincoln on Saturday, correct? How was the weather? Really wound up being a pretty nice day if you had sunlight in the stadium.

It was colder than a typical Tennessee game but honestly it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. Everyone back home kept telling me how cold it would be, so I was almost expecting arctic temperatures by the time I got up there. I dressed warmly for the game and had the sun on me, so it wasn't bad at all. Where it got really cold was when we were walking around at nighttime in the downtown area checking out the bars. How much snow do you all typically get in Lincoln?
I think Lincoln avaerages just over 2 feet a year. But it's all over the place for when it snows. Typically we get a few 6 inch snows from the very end of December through February. But we can have blizzards at anytime from October till April, though it's usually less than 2 inches those other months. Snow is fine, it's the wind that makes winter brutal.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to follow up again on this and say how much I enjoyed my time in Omaha and Lincoln and how impressed I was with all the fans and their hospitality! We came into Lincoln on Friday night and took Uber out to a few bars near campus, including The Single Barrel. I wore my Tennessee gear as you guys suggested, and it turned out to be a great conversation starter. The fans I met were all great, even the drunk ones, and I could tell how passionate everyone is about football and the Huskers. Going out in Lincoln did remind me of Knoxville in a lot of ways, but just with less rednecks! Being that the game was at 11, and we weren't feeling too great the next morning, we didn't get up early enough to tailgate much, which is the only real regret I have. I did buy a Nebraska hat before the game, so I was rocking my orange Tennessee shirt and sweatshirt with a red Nebraska hat, which did draw a few questions from people...again a good conversation starter. We had really good seats for the game, and I really liked Memorial Stadium. Obviously it was not too loud given the early start time and the way Nebraska dominated from start to finish, but I could see how it would be a very tough place to play for visiting teams during bigger, primetime games. I know Neyland seats about 12,000 to 15,000 more but it felt like the same size to me. It kind of reminded me of Georgia's stadium somewhat in terms of the layout (and obviously all of the red everywhere). After the game we met some cool people from Ogallala and went to eat and visited a few more bars with them where we watched the Tennessee vs Missouri game. They had extra tickets to the basketball game that night, which we didn't even know about (I don't think Tennessee hardly ever plays home basketball and football games the same day). So they actually gave us the basketball tickets for free, which was really nice. I didn't realize you all had such a nice, modern basketball arena. I was still hungry from all the drinking earlier in the day, so I tore up the concession stands at the arena...spent like $50 on food and drinks but it was good stuff! Anyway, as you're probably aware, Nebraska won against LA Tech in the bball game, so it was a strong weekend for Husker sports. Your basketball team reminds me a lot of Tennessee the way they play. There was a good crowd there too, especially considering there had just been a football game hours before. It was probably the nicest college basketball arena I've ever been to in terms of amenities and the overall fan experience. Question for you guys, and I don't mean this in any kind of condescending way, but have you guys ever had much success in men's basketball? You just don't really hear much about Nebraska basketball in the national media, so I just don't know much about the history of your program. I guess that's why I was kind of surprised by how nice the arena was. In terms of your overall sports facilities, I would think you have to be top 5 in the nation. People in SEC country get cocky about our facilities, but overall I think Nebraska is the best I've ever seen, and I've been to the majority of the SEC schools, as well as Oregon, Oklahoma and a few other out of conference schools. Anyway, after the basketball game, we were exhausted and took Uber back to the hotel. We spent Sunday morning sightseeing around Lincoln, which was a lot of fun as well. I just wanted to let you guys know what a good time we had and thank you for all the hospitality...maybe we will meet in a bowl game!

Sorry can't help but bump this for my amazing prediction in the last sentence! I thought if it happened, it would be the Outback Bowl, but I guess we will have to settle for Music City...at least Nashville is a fun town, although it will be cold and it seems to always rain in this bowl game. Anyway, looks like I'll be going to 2 Nebraska games this year!

• Fire 3

I love having you here Vols. We sometimes see a post or two from an opponent right after a game, but nobody hangs around.

Does TN have a similar message board?

Thanks! This is the best free message board:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/

I've got the same username there, so you'll probably see some of my posts. I watched every Nebraska and Tennessee game this year, so I get to pretend to be an expert for the next month!

• Fire 2

I love having you here Vols. We sometimes see a post or two from an opponent right after a game, but nobody hangs around.

I've got the same username there, so you'll probably see some of my posts. I watched every Nebraska and Tennessee game this year, so I get to pretend to be an expert for the next month!

Will you be doing in game commentary for the game?

"corn husking flatlanders" ????

Voaoq.gif

"corn husking flatlanders" ????

Voaoq.gif

We've got a good fan base that is very passionate about college football and we are generally known as being very accommodating and hospitable to opposing fan bases when they're in Knoxville. I believe we were actually voted as the friendliest fan base in the SEC in some recent poll. But like any school, we've got our share of fans that like to run their mouth and talk trash, especially on message boards. That's not my style but it is to be expected. But if you all go to the bowl game, I think you'll find our fans to be good folks who will treat you well!

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread here guys, but it looks like the conference I went to in Omaha last year is going to be in Omaha again for at least the next couple years. (To make a long story short, I started this thread when I found out about the conference in Omaha last year the week of the Maryland game. I came to Lincoln for that game, asked for some advice on things to do here on this forum, and you guys were really helpful). Anyway, I just found out that's the trip has been moved up to Oct 4-6, which is the perfect week bc Tennessee is off that weekend and you guys play Wisconsin in Lincoln. I'm definitely going to come to the game. I'm sure tickets will be pricier than they were for Maryland but it's still worth it. Do you guys think this will be a night game?

May be a night game, may not it's hard to say. Ticket prices should be relatively the same I would think

Thanks. I really hope you guys win. I've never liked Wisconsin for some reason...it's just annoying how they always seem to be so good in basketball and football when they really don't have the recruiting classes to back their results up. I guess I'm just a little jealous of their athletic department to be honest.

May be a night game, may not it's hard to say. Ticket prices should be relatively the same I would think

Thanks. I really hope you guys win. I've never liked Wisconsin for some reason...it's just annoying how they always seem to be so good in basketball and football when they really don't have the recruiting classes to back their results up. I guess I'm just a little jealous of their athletic department to be honest.

A lot of us have a hate-love-hate relationship with Wisconsin. We took pride in their rise as the AD played football at Nebraska under the Bob Father (Bob Devaney)..but now that they've been beating us like a drum, we're not so happy with them anymore. Come to the game and we'll both cheer against Wisconsin!!!

• Fire 1