Pro Football Focus All-B1G Team

Mavric

Safety: Nathan Gerry, Nebraska; Leo Musso, Wisconsin

A preseason favorite of our own Steve Palazzolo, Gerry did not disappoint. He posted 62 solo tackles and 32 total stops while picking off four passes and breaking up another six. Musso had a rough championship game against Penn State, but was an otherwise stellar performer throughout the season. He intercepted four passes and broke up another pass sent his way, and opposing QBs had a dismal QB rating of 24.2 when he was the primary defender in coverage.

Linebacker: Jerome Baker, Ohio State; Raekwon McMillan, Ohio State, Mike McCray, Michigan

This groups feature’s a preseason All-American and two surprise performers. Everyone expected McMillan to be here, and he really delivered down the stretch. In Ohio State’s last five games after losing to Penn State, McMillan posted 38 solo tackles with an impressive 27 of them being defensive stops. Baker was outstanding in all three defensive phases throughout the season, and in particular on the pass rush against Oklahoma and Michigan. In those two games he posted an impressive three sacks and seven total pressures to go with seven total stops. McCray was very solid against the run and also did an outstanding job on blitzes. His 24 total pressure on just 77 reps put ranked him first in the country in pass rush productivity among inside linebackers with at least 30 rushes.

Second Team: Jack Cichy, Wisconsin; Josh Banderas, Nebraska; Tegray Scales, Indiana

Offensive Guard: Sean Welsh, Iowa; Jordan Roos, Purdue

Welsh was one of the most consistent players in the conference at any position for the entire season. Against Minnesota stud defensive tackle Steven Richardson he gave up four hurries, but he only gave up three the entire rest of the season, including clean slates against the outstanding pass rushes of Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska. His 83.9 run block grade was also the highest in the conference. Roos made a remarkable turnaround this year, as he went from one of the lowest-graded interior linemen in college football last year to one of the highest. Pass blocking was his specialty, as he gave up just 11 total pressures for the season, and just two sacks and two hits in Big Ten play.

Second Team: Tanner Farmer, Nebraska; Brian Allen, Michigan State

PFF

• Fire 1

Who was our best O-lineman this year, Farmer or Gates? I had thought it was Gates. But now I see this.

I would say Gates. But there may be more competition at Tackle.

I guess it's hard to gauge how good an offensive lineman is. The best ones seldom have their names mentioned during a game. So anyway, I have a newfound respect for Farmer. May have to go back and watch him on this year's game youtubes.

Who was our best O-lineman this year, Farmer or Gates? I had thought it was Gates. But now I see this.

I would say Gates. But there may be more competition at Tackle.

I guess it's hard to gauge how good an offensive lineman is. The best ones seldom have their names mentioned during a game. So anyway, I have a newfound respect for Farmer. May have to go back and watch him on this year's game youtubes.

It really sucked to lose Foster. Has sounded for two years like our best run blocker. Been looking forward to both him and Farmer for a couple years. Both are tremendously strong and will be a great pair of guards for a couple years. Throw in Gates and that's a great foundation going forward.