The good side of bad

Yea were getting beat, Riley is missing tackles, failing to block, he is just a bad player.

Take three top players away from any team and see what you get. Not to mention all of our running backs.

I know next man up, but not a sole on here is next man up, so quit your whining. We are what we are, have been for 15 years.

I think they have gotten the word that some are not happy, who gives a F. So tired of the continuous whining, bitching, complaining about a process that has gone on for years. This staff is trying to make the improvements in recruiting. It is needed, but it does not happen overnight

The kids are trying, have not quit. I stay away from the this giant cry baby site, it is more depressing than the games.

Too bad we don't have a coaching staff to help with any of that.

Millions of dollars for what?

Too bad all of the know it alls don't have the job. But then what would Mc Donalds do?

To me this ^^^ is part of the problem.

The assumption that because we're fans posting on a message board, we have no idea what we're talking about.

I am just a fan posting on this message board. But I can say with 99% certainty that Nebraska just being more physical along the O and D lines would go a hell of a long way in alleviating many of our current woes.

Mike Riley is a "passer." He doesn't really believe in the running game. He doesn't care about the running game and it will never truly be the focus of his offense. And as long as we are a pass first, second team, we'll continue to finish 5th or lower in the Big 10 standings.

We haven't had descent linemen for years, it is an ongoing problem. Can this coach fix it. Most likely not, right away. It takes time to get what you need. To have those that you need learn to be the player that you want in in turn need.

Kids in the 90's group wanting to play for Nebraska, kids in Nebraska grow up wanting to go to the NFL. And will go where ever they can to get there.

Arm chair QB's look at a team and only see what is visible for the TV or field. No idea of the preparation, the drive, the ability of the player, what might have happened to take him out of the game, be it injury, grades or attitude.

I remember reading on here about one of our Oline men being the worst that had ever played according to most of the know it alls, but the following week he graded out best by the NFL. Was he that bad, did he have a bad day or were our resident know it alls, all wrong. Most likely a little of everything.

One person knows the situation at Nebraska, and his inner working circle. None of us know, as we do not have access to that information. Seeing half the picture can be as wrong as it is right.

But first off you have to understand, that our players, doubtful a single one would start at Clemson or Alabama, and doubtfully at Ohio State, Michigan and Washington. The list goes on further I think. Our team does not look like the others, the bodies, the arms, the legs are not the same. Is that lack of development or is it attitude of the player and the level he is willing to put forward. I have asked numerous times, are athletes graded on ability and talent alone, or is heart, motor part of it. Do we always recruit projects or do we try to recruit players ready to play. I think that is where Bo went wrong and maybe Coach Riley to.

Personally I did not think we had a chance in the bowl game, thought it would be much worse. Happy they kept within two scores.

There are good and not so good points made by each and every one of those who post on this board, myself included, as indeed we don't have all the 'inside' information needed to be as accurate as possible. That is the circumstance we face as fans and outsiders. But, as the fans and outsiders, we can and do see and recognize problems that are leading to the team failing to win as often and play as well as we all KNOW Nebraska football teams are capable of - we know they can win championships and titles and play with the best and be the best because they have done so repeadtedlty in the past. There is NO reason it cannot be done again in the future, repeatedly.

These coaches are paid enormous salaries for doing jobs that only a rare handful are lucky enough to get. They may work hard for about half the year and the other half not so much. Regular Joes and Johns and Jills work extra hard for many hours just to buy a single game ticket seat, etc. They (and we) are surely entitled to offer their opinions, educated or not,

There is more than one way to skin the cat as they say but I think most are capable of discerning whether the cat has in fact been skinned. Lately we've not had any cats skinned in my view. Criticism is not unjustified as this team perfomed poorly at times throughout the season and certainly the second half thereof. The entire Athletic Department and the student athletes themselves have a shared responsibility for representing the University and its alumna in a positive and enthusiastic and prideful way. The football teams from the several schools compete in a friendly rivalry for school pride and as a way to keep the school 'on the map' and the students and alums connected and interested. Success on the football field is not just an athletic endeavor, it is a marketing and promtional effort. There can be no debate that Ohio State and Alabama are getting billions of dollars in public relations exposure and marketing advantages as a result of their teams' football prowess. Nebraska once enjoyed the limelight and presumably this attention is very helpful to the University fiscally and academically and etc. Nebraska is a small state financially and population wise so all the help the residents of the state can get to help the public educational institutions operate successfully is great and needs to be encouraged.

If the cats aren't getting skinned, there is certainly plenty of cause to ask why and maybe many reasons therefor And some may skin cats better than others. We are paying a price commensurate with the best so we rightfully expect the best results. Not unreasonable in my view. Perhaps we should pay even more to find the best of the best as some suggest? That is our on going debate in a nutshell.

Many in theis board have talked about the need to recruit better. I think this staff is doing that. Key jr., Gebbia, McQuitty and others all point to that. What isn't being talked about is that the coaches need to be able to actually teach/coach up these players. Once that begins to take root, the players will begin to do a lot of that themselves with the younger ones.

For me the jury is still out-can they really coach these players (especially on both lines) up.