Post Practice Presser - August 5

I actually think that under most conditions, you don't want to hear one side is consistently looking better by this point. They should both be getting the better of each other about evenly.

With that said, it's not necessarily a cause for concern yet. The defense has potential to be really good this season and I think it's entirely likely that our offense is facing one of the best defenses that they'll face this season. It should make the real games easier.

• Fire 1

I actually think that under most conditions, you don't want to hear one side is consistently looking better by this point. They should both be getting the better of each other about evenly.

With that said, it's not necessarily a cause for concern yet. The defense has potential to be really good this season and I think it's entirely likely that our offense is facing one of the best defenses that they'll face this season. It should make the real games easier.

I would agree with you there. I wouldn't want to hear that the offense was winning every rep unless I already knew we had a top 10 defense because that would mean our offense would be pretty darn good. But if they are splitting wins right now I thinks that's a good thing because with all the new pieces on both sides of the ball you can't say exactly where either is strength wise. My point was just that if you have a talented defense they probably know what the offense is running as soon as they line up making it a bit easier to stop.
  • Fire 1

Oh I definitely see what you are saying, and I agree. I think it's also likely that the offense might take some time to get in-sync and it might take anywhere from a couple to several weeks before they start firing on all cylinders. Once that happens, watch out.

I still think the defense will be vanilla year one. If Diaco can trust his corners, then that might change a little. We will likely see some of those miscommunication errors that result in some big plays, but I expect they'll mostly limit big plays and force the opposing offense not to make mistakes. Which is why I think the staff is so adamant about keeping Kalu at safety. He's probably been a great band-aid for them, covering up any mistakes that happen.