PGA Championship 2017- Omaha Golf Pro Playing

http://www.omaha.com/sports/local-golf/omaha-golf-pro-ryan-vermeer-plays-practice-rounds-with-some/article_339e895c-0483-5971-bde3-9aa488002f0a.html

Vermeer, a teaching pro at Tiburon, will be the first Nebraskan to play in the PGA in 11 years. He tees off at 8:20 a.m. CDT on Thursday and 1:30 p.m. Friday. Also in his group are South African Richard Sterne and Chris Stroud, the winner of the PGA Tour’s Barracuda Championship on Sunday.

Vermeer is the first from the Nebraska Section PGA to qualify since Chris Wiemers of Omaha in 2005 and 2006. No Nebraskan has made the PGA cut since Tom Sieckmann of Omaha tied for 52nd in 1991. The last from the club pro ranks was Bud Williamson from the Country Club of Lincoln, who tied for 58th in 1959.
Vermeer’s spot came through the PGA Professional Championship. He tied for ninth at 1-over. The top 20 gain berths in the PGA.
A Millard South graduate, he played one year on the Web.com Tour after being a third-team All-American at Kansas in 2000. He gained PGA of America membership last year and was last year’s Nebraska Section champion.
Verneer’s first major championship is the biggest stage the native of Spencer, Iowa, the son of a golf pro, ever has been on.
“My one real goal is whatever the results may be that I walk off the course and at least be happy with how I played,” Vermeer said. “If I play well, with no stupid mistakes or bad decisions, there’s no reason I can’t shoot good scores and play four rounds.”

• Fire 2

I will be rooting him on!

I was in Omaha in June and practiced at Shadow Ridge. Vermeer's dad works there part-time; he was on the range tidying things up. We chatted for probably 30 minutes and found out we had quite a few mutual friends through golf. I hadn't really heard his son's name before but started following his scoring through the summer including the PGA Professional Championship.

What an incredible opportunity!

Really really enjoyed my time out at Quail Hollow yesterday. The course is in absolutely BEAUTIFUL shape. It's really pretty incredible to see. The changes they made to the first hole make it one of the most difficult par 4's I've seen. Really probably could be a par 5.

We waited out the rain and we're rewarded. We sat on the green on 17 and watched all the big groups coming through at the end. Funny to see DJ Day etc sprinting from shot to shot at the end to try to finish. They actually blew the horn to get them off the course and they wound up finishing anyways.

Excited to see what happens today. Oosthuizen is one to watch in my opinion, he was knocking it real close yesterday. Matsyuama was great per usual the past couple weeks and Day will have a shot as well. Love this course, excited for the finish