Do we have the personnel to play the 3-4

chamrocck

13 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I think it's more of a scheme/philosophy issue than players. Many who were familiar with Diaco's defense warned us it would be like this, almost a permanent prevent D. But it sure can get really ugly when the opposing QB is hitting his targets and your DB's are playing so soft.  We are going to struggle with any team that can throw the ball and gets it out quick. I want to blame our front for not generating pressure but it's not like the QB had forever, he was getting the ball out too quickly. I want to blame our corners for playing too soft and giving such a cushion but guaranteed they were doing what they were supposed to. This is completely on Diaco's scheme and philosophy. I can see where it may work but it is hot garbage when a QB is on and stays on. I'm going to venture a guess that most on our schedule won't have the same results....but hold on for the ones that do.

If it really is a permanent prevent defense with no pressure on the QB then I don't see it being around long. They've turned the game into basketball on grass but the top teams rarely play that style. Without creative blitzing this style of ball isn't worth watching. The ASU QB choked almost every time he was pressured.....which wasn't very often.

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

If it really is a permanent prevent defense with no pressure on the QB then I don't see it being around long. They've turned the game into basketball on grass but the top teams rarely play that style. Without creative blitzing this style of ball isn't worth watching. The ASU QB choked almost every time he was pressured.....which wasn't very often.

I agree but we've also heard there are many different looks and blitz packages that he uses. Not sure why we didn't see a little more last night. Could be learning curve, first game rust, could be a bit of underestimating the opponent or it could be a huge red flag for what is to transpire this season. Things did get a little better defensively in the 2nd half so... I have to believe the staff is even more aware of the problems than we are and will remedy some things.

• Plus1 2