Third commit?

It appears that Tim Grier out of Atlanta has agreed to accept a track and football scholarship to Nebraska:

Tim Grier

BOYS ATHLETE OF THE YEAR: TRACK

Westlake's Grier nails gold medal, record

By DERRICK MAHONE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/25/06

Cedric Sapp could sense the determination in Tim Grier's voice over the phone.

After Grier placed second in the long jump and the 110-meter hurdles at the Class AAA meet, he called his club coach for some quick advice.

BRANT SANDERLIN / Staff

(ENLARGE)

Although Tim Grier missed his goal of three gold medals — the long jump, 110-meter and 300-meter hurdles — his 300-meter hurdles time set a record and was the fastest in all classifications.

The Westlake senior was approaching his final shot at leaving the meet in Jefferson with a gold medal. Not only did Grier get his gold medal, but he also set the record in the 300 hurdles.

He posted a time of 36.74 seconds to break the old mark of 37.0 shared by Emanuel Blakeney of now-defunct Northside-Atlanta (1984) and Byron Taylor of Stephenson (1997). Grier's time at the meet earlier this month was the fastest in all classifications.

"I was elated when I heard about the record," said Sapp, who coaches Grier for the Gazelle Track Club. "I know he was upset about the other events. I could hear it in his voice that he was really pumped up for the 300. I just knew something was going to happen."

In addition to his state title in the 300 hurdles, Grier was runner-up in the 110 hurdles at 14.27 and second in the long jump at 23 feet, 3 3/4 inches. He helped the winning 400 relay team run a 41.98 and ran on the third-place 1,600 relay team.

Aside from Grier's individual accomplishments, Westlake won its first track title in school history.

"I was definitely pleased with the record and the state title," Grier said. "I missed both the 110 and long jump by narrow margins. I thought I was going to get all three."

Last season, he won the AAAA long jump, placed second in the 300 hurdles and was third in the 110s, while running for Hiram, which finished second at state. After placing second in both the long jump and 110 hurdles this time, Grier tried not to let his emotions show. He said his main focus was winning the 300 hurdles and helping the team secure the championship.

"I was very upset about not getting the championships in all three," Grier said. "I couldn't let my emotions show on the track. It was a lifelong dream to win all three. I thought I had a great chance to do it."

Now that the high school season is over, Grier has been focusing on national and regional meets next month. Grier will run at the Golden South in Florida and at the Adidas Outdoor Championships in California.

He also hopes to qualify for the U.S. National team this summer. He made the U.S. Youth National team last year and ran a 51.96 in the 400 hurdles.

Two weeks ago, he accepted a football and track scholarship to the University of Nebraska. He will concentrate on the 400 hurdles and play either wide receiver or cornerback for the Cornhuskers.

"I felt real comfortable at Nebraska," said Grier, who sports a 3.7 grade-point average. "It is not that big of a party school, but yet you can have fun while going to school and playing sports."

This guy is a high school senior, which would make him a member of the 2006 recruiting class. Kind of like what happened with Slauson. And with Allen and Henry and now Culbert out, there should be at least one open scholarship for the class. It sounds like he had offers from Arkansas and Florida State and has some crazy wheels, can never have too many great athletes.

I don't know much more than just what I have read so it will be interesting to see what the coaches have to say about him and just how they found out about him.

This guy is a high school senior, which would make him a member of the 2006 recruiting class. Kind of like what happened with Slauson. It sounds like he had offers from Arkansas and Florida State and has some crazy wheels.

I don't know much more than just what I have read so it will be interesting to see what the coaches have to say about him and just how they found out about him.

So he'll be here in the fall right?

This guy is a high school senior, which would make him a member of the 2006 recruiting class.  Kind of like what happened with Slauson.  It sounds like he had offers from Arkansas and Florida State and has some crazy wheels.

So he'll be here in the fall right?

As far as I know. Like I said, this kind of came out of nowhere, so I don't really know all the details. But he is a hs senior and obviously will have no problem qualifing academically, so if everything goes through, he should be here for fall practice.

OK, here is the situation as I understand it. Grier will come here on a track scholarship, he will basically "walk-on" to the football program and most likely redshirt his first year. As soon as he plays a down in a game he will go on a football scholarship and be counted against our total, if he decided to stick with track, he won't take up a football scholly. I believe that is how it works as if you do both, the higher revenue sport is the one that your scholly counts against. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

OK, here is the situation as I understand it. Grier will come here on a track scholarship, he will basically "walk-on" to the football program and most likely redshirt his first year. As soon as he plays a down in a game he will go on a football scholarship and be counted against our total, if he decided to stick with track, he won't take up a football scholly. I believe that is how it works as if you do both, the higher revenue sport is the one that your scholly counts against. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

That seems correct. Same thing happened with Ryan Goodman and his wrestling/football endevours before he bailed for NC State.