UCF Offense Radar - year two

knapplc

It's easy, and more likely, to say it won't happen this year. But Frost and the gang didn't see that offense taking off this time last year, either. Not hard to see why. You can't predict Milton improving that much. It's off the charts. Killans and Anderson were not seen as a killer backfield. They were on the depth chart, yes, but in limited roles. Killans, due to his size, was seen as a guy that gets a handful of opportunities. They liked Anderson as a receiver/runner but unsure in what capacity. By the end of the year he's arguably their most important skill guy. Then there is the offensive line, which just wasn't really getting it done year 1.

Translate that to Nebraska, I have no predictions, but as I've said before this isn't a year 1 scenario. A lot depends on the QB, that's the limiter on how creative Frost can get. But, notice how his language has changed....in the spring he was talking about being "dangerous" next year. This fall he's ramped up that time table. 

• Plus1 1

It looks like UCF could have a 9+ win season. Maybe my interest will wane as the season progresses but out of habit I’ll be following UCF.

The coaches knowledge of the offense will be a big difference between UCF year one and NU year one.  The newness to the players and specifically the QB will produce some rough moments but year 2 improvements could be huge.

I have a feeling that Frost is just down playing the offense.  I think the talent is there.  The offense was able to move the ball well at times last year only to have a drive stall because of suspect play calling..... and of course terrible throws resulting in pick 6's.  I can see the offense already being more adept to running the ball now that Martinez is a threat to also take off and run.  Not sure any team had anyone spying Tanner Lee last year.  We return basically the same Rec corps maybe even added more talent (time will tell).  If Frost doesn't turn into the last two OC's we've had in regards to play calling I think they will be pretty good

One area to note that Nebraska was better than UCF was in the offensive line categories. A little better at stuff rate and a lot better at adjusted line yards. I hope that's because we have superior offensive line talent, but do note that box count offenses like Frost runs can be susceptible to negative rushing plays which impacts both of those metrics.

16 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but those comments seem to be followed by next year or only time will tell.  Like its gonna take a lot of time for the offense to click.  

When he was talking in the spring, yes, but a bit different in the fall.

Spring: "We're going to be better this year and judging by what I saw this spring, by year two, we're going to be really dangerous," 

Fall: “We’ve got enough talent on offense, if we execute, to be really good and dangerous,”