Taking my 13 and 9 y/o Nephew and Niece to first Husker game looking for advice

KazLong

My nephew just started playing football with pads. My niece is his sister. There parents don't have much interest or none in football any suggestions on what to do besides take a lot of photos and buy gear and try not to have one of my melt downs in front of them? Both born and raised in Nebraska trying to install the virus. I got great tickets around the 50 row 20 something. 

Plan go to my office mate's tail gate then the gift shop at the stadium hit up runza other thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: Nephew is a stand out soccer player he wanted to be a QB or WR I encouraged him to be a linebacker same spot I played he is my height (or close 6'1") all ready he is now starting as a LB. 

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Go down to the Tunnel Walk and let them get "high fives".  I've done both the "up close" and "from the stands" with my kids.  Their eyes were always much wider and excited when upclose to the players.   

It is worth missing the first 5 minutes of the game as you go back to your seats with that age of kid.

Any idea how early we have to get there to get a high five also I have never done this in the games I have attended so not sure how to get there.

1 minute ago, KazLong said:

Any idea how early we have to get there to get a high five also I have never done this in the games I have attended so not sure how to get there.

Not super early, maybe 20/30 minutes before kickoff.  Usually the adults are pretty good about letting the kids get up close to the ropes.  Depending on where your seats are, you may have to go down to field level and walk along the West sideline to get to there.  But I'm not sure if the new amenities affect that.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Not super early, maybe 20/30 minutes before kickoff.  Usually the adults are pretty good about letting the kids get up close to the ropes.  Depending on where your seats are, you may have to go down to field level and walk along the West sideline to get to there.  But I'm not sure if the new amenities affect that.

We are Sideline 26 Row: 21 so visitors side line I think we will find it hopefully, I will try to get there by like 1:30 or 2 pm. Hopefully that will be good enough. Again this is a great tip I appreciate it. I have never had the desire to do it but I think my nephew and niece would really like it. Thanks again.

Good on you for taking them to their first Husker game.  That’s a lifelong memory you’re creating !

Hunt down the Fairbury hotdog guy and have them watch “der Wienerschlinger” in action.  

Check out the trophies, stand along the street and watch the band march in , get a picture with Herbie and Lil Red, make sure they have a balloon for the first score, buy them a game program.. 

And have fun !  I know you will !

• Fire 1