Do you support allowing college athletes to be paid for ''their likeness''?

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I totally get what you are saying but my answer to that, and it is harsh, is who cares?

I mean...the only reason a person is a fan of Ohio or Bowling Green or USF or Temple...is because the either went there for school or had a family member that played on the team.  We know that every season there are about 30 teams that have a chance to make the playoff (before that it was probably about 20 teams that really had a shot) and that is not going to change if they are paid or not because they are getting paid right now.

Shoot back in the 80's The Boz said his part time job was "watching oil derricks go up and down" and that he would either sleep or just not show up and of course still get paid.

The top 25 to 30 teams already get all the talent.

As with any divisive issue, about 50% are going to land on one side or the other depending on background/beliefs. 

The whole part-time job thing is nothing unique and is definitely going on today.  (There were a couple of basketball players on my floor in the late 80's early 90's that had "jobs" at car dealerships that they just had to show up and get paid.)  The difference though is every university has rich alumni/boosters that are providing these "jobs" to their top prospects, so it is not causing the same disparity that would be caused by rich universities being able to pay all their athletes.  I guess it is a question of if you don't want it to get more top heavy than the current situation or you don't care, especially as Nebraska would be a likely beneficiary.   

40 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

In my mind, college athletes are getting paid.  Not only do they get their tuition paid, they now receive a stipend, and they have the opportunity to have all of their meals and housing for the 3 to 6 years that they attend college completely subsidized.  For a lot of schools, that is all they are going to be able to afford based on their budgets, so I consider not allowing any additional type of payments to college athletes as a makeshift salary cap.  Otherwise, the top 25 to 30 revenue schools are going to run away with all the talent and create a bigger disparity between the haves and the havenots. 

Using the example above, band members also recieve compensation no? They get scholarships for band, and likely food stipends on trips. That doesn't stop them from being able to play their cello on the weekend for some money. That is what we are talking about here, a players ability to use their own likeness to make money. Its like the UCF player with the youtube channel. Why should he not be able to profit off of that? The schools and the NCAA use the players likeness for profit all of the time. Why is the player banned from being an entrepeneur using their own brand? Any other college student can do this, including ones who get 'paid' with scholarships, some of which are full.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Using the example above, band members also recieve compensation no? They get scholarships for band, and likely food stipends on trips. That doesn't stop them from being able to play their cello on the weekend for some money. That is what we are talking about here, a players ability to use their own likeness to make money. Its like the UCF player with the youtube channel. Why should he not be able to profit off of that? The schools and the NCAA use the players likeness for profit all of the time. Why is the player banned from being an entrepeneur using their own brand? Any other college student can do this, including ones who get 'paid' with scholarships, some of which are full.

Band members don't get scholarships and actually have to pay tuition to be in band.

How much does it cost to be in a band?

Each of the band ensembles is a one credit hour course and you must pay tuition for that course. If you perform in more than one band per semester you may take the second band for zero credit. That band would appear on your grade transcript but would not figure into your GPA and you would not pay tuition.

In most cases, the University pays the travel expenses for all of the bands and provides the uniform and some instruments for the marching band. Marching band members must purchase shoes, gloves and some small personal items, and pay for uniform cleaning. Members of the concert and jazz ensembles must provide their own concert attire. Big Red Express pep band members must purchase a band shirt. The University owns some instruments that students may rent for a minimal fee.

4 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Band members don't get scholarships and actually have to pay tuition to be in band.

How much does it cost to be in a band?

Each of the band ensembles is a one credit hour course and you must pay tuition for that course. If you perform in more than one band per semester you may take the second band for zero credit. That band would appear on your grade transcript but would not figure into your GPA and you would not pay tuition.

In most cases, the University pays the travel expenses for all of the bands and provides the uniform and some instruments for the marching band. Marching band members must purchase shoes, gloves and some small personal items, and pay for uniform cleaning. Members of the concert and jazz ensembles must provide their own concert attire. Big Red Express pep band members must purchase a band shirt. The University owns some instruments that students may rent for a minimal fee.

Funny because a quick search turned up that all UNO band students recieve a scholarship or cash stipend. I'm sure its the same at many other schools around the country. Does this ban them from making money outside of band?? No.

https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2016/04/scholarships-available-from-the-uno-bands.php

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha...those guys loving making money...for themesevles :)

Sure.  Who doesn't?

Just to be clear, I have no problem with paying players.  There will be unintended consequences that the California legislature is not taking into consideration.  If schools have to start paying players, they might conceivably have to cut scholarships for non-revenue sports.  But maybe that's fair.  Why should volleyball players get a free ride on the backs of football players?  

Just now, K9Buck said:

Sure.  Who doesn't?

Just to be clear, I have no problem with paying players.  There will be unintended consequences that the California legislature is not taking into consideration.  If schools have to start paying players, they might conceivably have to cut scholarships for non-revenue sports.  But maybe that's fair.  Why should volleyball players get a free ride on the backs of football players?  

Does this legislation force schools to pay players or simply allows players to use their own likeness to get paid? Because there is a big difference.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

That wasn't the question you asked.

I know.  My point was, should people be paid when their image is used by media?  Should Trump be compensated every time CNN publishes his image?  But you have a point.  Sports Illustrated has been cashing in for years on images of players.

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Funny because a quick search turned up that all UNO band students recieve a scholarship or cash stipend. I'm sure its the same at many other schools around the country. Does this ban them from making money outside of band?? No.

https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2016/04/scholarships-available-from-the-uno-bands.php

LOL. $250.  Keep trying.  You have no argument.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Does this legislation force schools to pay players or simply allows players to use their own likeness to get paid? Because there is a big difference.

Yes, there is a difference.  But once boosters start paying players, it will be just a matter of time before the schools start paying them and then the schools will want to establish salary caps to keep costs under control, as they do in professional sports.  

1 minute ago, K9Buck said:

I know.  My point was, should people be paid when their image is used by media?  Should Trump be compensated every time CNN publishes his image?  But you have a point.  Sports Illustrated has been cashing in for years on images of players.

You are miscontruing this whole thing. No Trump doesn't get paid by CNN when they use his picture, but Trump has the freedom to sell his photograph for as much as he wants. He is free to slap his name on buildings to make money. Professional athletes might not get paid when their picture is on a news outlet, but they have the freedom to sell images of themselves for fair market value. At this point in time NCAA players are banned from these same freedoms everyone else gets to enjoy and that is what this law is addressing.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think this is because of one of the NCAA rules that states college athletes can be entrepreneurs, but they can't use their likeness to promote their business.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/10-ways-college-athletes-can-get-paid-and-remain-eligible-for-their-sport/

10. Self-employment. This NCAA rule still says an athlete may establish a business only if his or her name, photo, appearance or athletic reputation are not used to promote the business. But the NCAA now tackles this issue on a case-by-case basis and has said it will grant appropriate waivers if athletes have similar opportunities as other students for entrepreneurial aspirations. Most famously, Minnesota wrestler Joel Bauman tested the NCAA in 2013 by promoting that he was an NCAA wrestler on a music video he produced. Bauman declined to remove his name from any songs and eliminate any promotion of his status as an NCAA athlete. He got declared ineligible, a firestorm erupted, and he brilliantly turned the publicity into a marketing job.