2018 vs 2019 NE vs OSU game comparison

hucksker

I just looked at the 2018 game YouTube to compare to 2019.  It was not apparent at first glance, but the difference in the OLINE play and particularly the SNAP is dramatic 2018 to 2019.

In the 2018 game, Martinez was in an Athletic looking position pre-snap both feet square and looking over the line.  SNAP came quick (really really quick) and belt high and the plays were smooth, passes released quickly and  runs hit the line of scrimmage just as the hole open for a split second.

In the 2019 game, the SNAPs were OK to start, but quickly looked much different.  The pace of the SNAPs from the start though, were noticeably slower and now mostly chest high and above.  The biggest difference was in Martinez's prep snap stance, in 2019 game he is more upright and feet are often not square to the line of scrimmage.  Many times he is now making a unusual looking little hop that almost seems to be like a stutter step, that was not in the 2018 game.  A lot of the time he is making a small little jump almost like he is anticipating a high snap even when its not high.  I wonder if A. Martinez has developed a case of the YIPS (Golfer in me) or something like that and it is now impacting his timing.   Comparatively he looked more at ease last year.

Sure would think the coaches have noticed this and are working to get A Mart back to being A Mart.

Just my 2 cents.

Huck

I think he is more concerned with the snaps than making the pre snap reads.  Teams have also figured a way to confuse him.  Having to jump for snaps/being worried about high snaps throws off an offense predicated on timing.  Practice,practice, practice is the only way to fix this.  Or go under center....That really worked last night IMO.  

It is an interesting comparison you did and I am sure has some validity.  For what ever reason, Martinez is off his game and it hurts....The OL is rough, but he is not helping with errant passes when he has time.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think he is more concerned with the snaps than making the pre snap reads.  Teams have also figured a way to confuse him.  Having to jump for snaps/being worried about high snaps throws off an offense predicated on timing.  Practice,practice, practice is the only way to fix this.  Or go under center....That really worked last night IMO.  

It is an interesting comparison you did and I am sure has some validity.  For what ever reason, Martinez is off his game and it hurts....The OL is rough, but he is not helping with errant passes when he has time.

Zones confuse him.  Couple it with bad snaps and he looks completely lost.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Zones confuse him.  Couple it with bad snaps and he looks completely lost.

I don't know if I agree that zones confuse him. I'm pretty sure that Illinois played Cover 2 Zone almost the entire game and he ate them up. If something is confusing him I think it's teams showing something pre snap and changing it post snap which is just going to be a rep/film thing to fix. 

The bad snaps and poor OL play are just making it worse because as the OP said he has happy feet and he's messing up his reads even more because of it.

• Plus1 1