Cortney Grixby

I have had that feelin too but he did a decent job for his size last year. I just say let him be the last 5'9" corner at NU thats all :thumbs

boy you said a mouthful there! not withstanding lack of size, he has GOT TO TURN and look for the ball at the right time....IMHO he never mastered that skill last year......the really good DB's know how to do this......you can't look into the receivers' eyes until the ball enters your periphral vision...by then it is too late

hunter

If I remember right, didn't Callahan say that they don't teach the corners to look back. I thought he said some like that on the Bill Callahan show.

I don't agree with that technique. I am not a college fb coach, but how many times do you see receivers making a catch on an underthrown ball when the receiver never caught a glimps of it. It seems like it would also increase your chance for an int.

If I remember right, didn't Callahan say that they don't teach the corners to look back. I thought he said some like that on the Bill Callahan show.

I don't agree with that technique. I am not a college fb coach, but how many times do you see receivers making a catch on an underthrown ball when the receiver never caught a glimps of it. It seems like it would also increase your chance for an int.

I both agree and disagree with not having the corners look back. Being a Chicago Bears fan I can't forget Charles Tillman looking in the backfield in the playoffs and having Steve Smith blow right by him for a touchdown. But then it goes back to the underthrown ball to a big, strong receiver, him catching it and breaking a tackle or two and taking it for the score.

I think that if you have a great tackler, but not a fast guy at corner, you should have them stay w/the receiver and never look back. If you have a speedy corner, but not the greatest tackler I say if the guy he's covering isn't super fast, he should keep an eye out for the run.

I don't like the don't look back technique myself. I like aggressive defenses that flow to the ball and go for turnovers all the time. I guess I see the reason why we do it this way though. It's the bend-but-don't-break strategy.

I'm pretty sure the term they use is 'complete control'. If they have the receiver pinned in against the sideline and are in 'good coverage position' then they can look back for the ball, otherwise their job is to read the receiver's eyes and arms. I never played corner, but it sounds like a reasonable expectation of the cover guys to eliminate the big play first, then look for the interception.

Looking for an INT isnt what I would want my corners doing. A corners job is to keep the reciever from catching the ball. You can do that without looking for the pass all the way down the field. An INT is something that happens when you keep your coverage and the conditions are right. If you are looking for the INT, IMO you are wrong as a CB.