"The Longest Yard"

I was joking about this subject on the wrong board so I will bring it up here. I saw both movies, and as talented as Adam Sandler is that role was a natural for Burt Reynolds. While Sandler certainly did an all right job, he wasn't able to match Reynolds' great performance.

I also thought the new version was too similar to the original. The last scene with the game ball was exactly the same. You would have thought they could had changed the story more. What you had was almost a duplication. What's the point of that? Also, Sandler character could had been altered some so it wouldn't had been directly compared to Reynolds, and perhaps it could had held its own.

But it was a lot more similar than it was different. They could have had a rematch game with the guards. And Adam Sandler could had been a different character, with Burt Reynolds being the same but aging character -- you remember he was not going to be released from prison for winning that game. When I first heard of the remake, I figured that Reynolds was playing the same character with Sandler playing someone different. There should have been a lot more creativity added to this movie.

You knew Chris Rock was going to get blown up, and you knew Adam Sandler was going to get the game ball. What a wasted opportunity.

Sandler was fine, but that role was made for Reynolds. It appeared in general that the movie critics rated the first movie better and agreed with me. Hey, this is just my opinion. I would suppose Adam Sandler fans would disagree with me.

Did you know originally that Clint Eastwood was not the first choice for "Dirty" Harry Callahan? It was John Wayne. But my understanding is the Duke wanted to alter the character some, and the movies company and he couldn't reach an agreement. As much of a Wayne fan I had been throughout the years, I can't imagine anyone else playing that role except Eastwood.