pessimism

Aim9

I know it's best to stay optimistic before the season starts, but I cannot stave off the wave of pessimism that hit me upon hearing of Bowman's injuries. That I fear may have cost us whatever outside chance we had at a title this year. It will hurt us dearly against any pass-happy team we play. As a result of this injury I could see us getting routinely getting beat by teams with supremely physical recievers (Iowa State, USC) instead of taking them down. I understand that Andre Jones may be able to fill in as the lock down corner, but if he fills in there who will we have for safety? Our front seven is great, but I think too many people are playing down this injury. It is an undeniably huge loss to our secondary.

Turn that frown upside down! One man does not a defense make (or something like that) - this unit is a team and they will educate us all on how a group should play as a team. Sure, maybe we give up a big pass play or 2 or 3 but overall they will D O M I N A T E. And if I ever read ISU and "supremely physical receivers" in the same sentence again in reference to Husker Football I am seriously going to :throw

Turn that frown upside down! One man does not a defense make (or something like that) - this unit is a team and they will educate us all on how a group should play as a team. Sure, maybe we give up a big pass play or 2 or 3 but overall they will D O M I N A T E. And if I ever read ISU and "supremely physical receivers" in the same sentence again in reference to Husker Football I am seriously going to :throw

That's exactly the kind of sentiment I'm talking about. In this particular case, I really do think that one man does make a difference. He was to be the anchor of our somewhat vulnerable secondary.

I've always been of the opinion that the secondary's success is just as dependant on the front four as the back four. Good pressure on the quarterback means the cover guys don't have to stick with a man through two or three moves. When the qb has less time to look downfield and wait for a receiver to get open the defensive secondary starts looking a lot better. Losing Bowman was big, but keep in mind he didn't start playing really well until the last few games of last year and the defense more or less held its own against TT and ISU without a stellar contribution from him. I don't think this is a loss the team can't recover from.

supremely physical recievers (Iowa State,

That quote just made me kick my dog and kill the neighbors cat!!!! :wtf Iowa State isn't supremely physical at anything!!!! They have one decent receiver and a fairly good QB not enough to give them those rights yet!!!!

I think that the D will be ok,

OK LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING??? WERE YOU DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD WITHIN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS!!!! :blink: Our front seven are going to be outstanding, our linebackers are going to be outstanding, our secondary will step up!!!! With a front seven and linebackers like this this equals not a lot of running yards for the other teams offense and the QB isn't going to have a lot of time to let the play develop!!!! What board am I on right now??? :wacko:

I've always been of the opinion that the secondary's success is just as dependant on the front four as the back four. Good pressure on the quarterback means the cover guys don't have to stick with a man through two or three moves. When the qb has less time to look downfield and wait for a receiver to get open the defensive secondary starts looking a lot better. Losing Bowman was big, but keep in mind he didn't start playing really well until the last few games of last year and the defense more or less held its own against TT and ISU without a stellar contribution from him. I don't think this is a loss the team can't recover from.

Thank god finally someone who knows the facts!!!! :horns2

This pessimism is the exact type of thinking that gets me :steam  Since when are Husker fans Chicken Little?  I agree, losing ZB hurts but guess what I looked up and believe it or not the sky is not falling.  Stay the course, believe, keep it positive and hey, even those of you jumping back on the bandwagon, enjoy the ride!

Whoa whoa- I'm not jumping off any bandwagons here. I'll stick with the Huskers whether we're 5-6 or 13-0. I still think we're headed towards a great season (I think somewhere between 11-3 and 13-1) but I think that losing Bowman may have taken away that edge we may need to go 14-0. I definitely would have to agree that our front will give the secondary a boost with all the pressure they will put on, but when teams like ISU and USC have 3 or 4 top notch receivers that are 6'4" or taller we're going to miss him. He was big and fast enough to run step in step with Dwayne Jarrett, and with Andre Jones to back him up as a safety I felt reassured. Now our secondary is considerably softer. Does anyone know what the rotation will be for our DBs now that Bowman is gone?

On a positive note, I would have to agree that having him around next year will be excellent. The thought of an experienced Bowman and Jones in the secondary is just awesome.

I think that the D will be ok,

OK LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING??? WERE YOU DROPPED ON YOUR HEAD WITHIN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS!!!! :blink: Our front seven are going to be outstanding, our linebackers are going to be outstanding, our secondary will step up!!!! With a front seven and linebackers like this this equals not a lot of running yards for the other teams offense and the QB isn't going to have a lot of time to let the play develop!!!! What board am I on right now??? :wacko:

Wow, I think you took my comment out of context, or at least I was not trying to imply that our D was going to be mediocre at all. I was trying to say that they will be fine without him. :thumbs

The rest of the secondary got some excellent work last year during the season. I think they're going to step up and prove Bowman's loss isn't the end of the season. The media seems to be forgetting that. Besides it's gonna be hard for the opposing teams QB to throw the ball when Q or Carriker has him laid out on his back like he's their biatch! :horns2:horns2

*sniff*...*sniff*....You smell that?? I smell it! I smell some ass whoopin comin on! :restore

If Jones doesn't have the learning curb that Bowman needed, we still can be very good back there. I suspect our starting DBs will be decent. I'm more concern about deph, especially early in the season. We certainly have talented backups, but a lot of inexperience. Hopefully the backups get some playing time.

Including whatever bowl we go to, I am thinking a three-loss season right now. However, if we can stay pretty much injury free from this point on and we can really jell as a team, we could have one- or two-loss season.