defensive strategy??

I was just sitting back today fantasizing about the upcoming season and, of course, the USC game came into mind. I do think that we will be able to move the ball, but my question is about the defensive side of the ball. Do you guys favor an aggressive blitz package that will leave one on one coverage with the stellar USC receivers, OR do you think we should lay back, force them to run the ball and rely on the front four to get pressure on the qb. Pressure, I believe, will be the only chance we have in this game, where it comes from is the question.

Need to mix it up.

With the secondary situation, pressure will be probably the most important thing in this game.

I see a simular situation when NC State gave Texas a hard time. NC State used their speed at LB to get pressure. NC State didn't have a great offense, they did have a quik defense and an All-American at one of the Corners. Nothing alse spectactular in their secondary.

I believe mixing up the defenses will be key to rattling their young quarterbacks. Whether it is man or zone in the secondary, blitzing from the linebackers, safeties, or corners. Showing a different look from the time he comes to the line to the time he snaps the ball. A zone blitz may be something to run every once in a while if their quarterback is dumping the ball off underneath in a hurry. If we can put constant pressure from just the down four, that would make a huge difference in our game planing. If we manage to successfully apply pressure from our downlineman then we could run a cover two in the secondary which would give our corners some relief. Its not going to be easy for Cosgrove to stop USC's offense. But I wish him the best of luck.

I believe mixing up the defenses will be key to rattling their young quarterbacks. Whether it is man or zone in the secondary, blitzing from the linebackers, safeties, or corners. Showing a different look from the time he comes to the line to the time he snaps the ball. A zone blitz may be something to run every once in a while if their quarterback is dumping the ball off underneath in a hurry. If we can put constant pressure from just the down four, that would make a huge difference in our game planing. If we manage to successfully apply pressure from our downlineman then we could run a cover two in the secondary which would give our corners some relief. Its not going to be easy for Cosgrove to stop USC's offense. But I wish him the best of luck.

You got that right brother, sometimes the opponets confusion is your best asset.

We need to rattle whomever is the starter. Neither has alot of experience. A good hit or two from octavian and carriker could go a long way in helping our corners

I concur. Put the QB on his back a few times early- maybe force a turnover or two.

On that note, we have GOT to wrap up and finish instead of trying to strip the ball.

:restore It'll need to be more than a few times.

I know this thread is about defense...but I figured I'd post the question here since it relates to the USC game...

On the other side of things, do you think Callahan is going to do what he did last year and script the first 10-15 offensive plays of the game to try and avoid the huddle? And if so, how much do you think it will affect the USC defense? Were there any teams last year that used the same idea with a no-huddle offense and confused USC right off the bat? I know there were at least 6 games last year that USC didn't show their national-rank potential until the second half.

Other than that, I agree that our defense needs to get in there and rattle some cages early with that QB. That and we need to get some good picks off the inexperienced quarterback to bring our offense back on with good field position.

I think they will script the plays at the beginning of the game, and hopefully we can move down and score. But this isn't last years SC team where they can turn on a switch and score at will. They don't have Leinhart, Bush, or White. I expect them to pass often in this game, especially after we stop the run early in the game.

On the Defensive side, I think we can get a lot of pressure with our front four. I think we can add to this with some single blitzes. Maybe just sent Bradley, McKeon, Octavien, or one of the DBs, one at a time. That way we can keep some coverage against their receivers (we'll need it).

Offensively, I don't think we'll have that much problem with their D as much as the home field advantage. This is going to be different than playing Michigan in the Alamodome, this is USC in LA!!