Sarah Palin (Republican VP for McCain)

cmb23

why are most democrats for abortion rights and against the death penalty? :dunno

I'll take this on. First off I'm not a Democrat, despite what some might think. But as far as the abortion issue? I have a 15 year old daughter, if she was raped {hope to God it never happens} but if she was and became impregnated by it. It would be HER's and OUR choice as to what to do about it. It's none of Palin's, Robertsons, Limbaughs, Hannity's or anybody else's business. As a method of birth control I'm not in favor of it, but again it's not any of my business what someone else does on this subject.

As far as the death penalty, I'm for it. But it needs to be stream lined, there's no question that the death penalty was been misused on a class level. Plus we've seen a number of examples of guys getting freed from death row or awaiting it because of bad prosecuting. I think it should only be handed out for a few very serious instances. Like treason, serial child molestation, serial murder and a few others.

Really, I think her child is off-limits. And besides, I don't think it says anything about family values that she is pregnant. Premarital sex - it happens; some people get pregnant but most don't. Does that mean only the ones who get pregnant are somehow base and immoral?

My beef with Palin right now - aside from the fact that it seems she was selected not based on competence, but because she'll attract a certain demographic - is that she supports teaching creationism in schools. She sugar coats (well, it's a sensitive issue, I guess) it as promoting healthy debate and as recognizing that there are theories other than evolution out there.

>_>

Creationism is not a theory.

By the way, that Jon Stewart clip is amazing. That guy really knows how to lay it down to hypocrites.

Here's an article from 2 years ago about this issue and Palin.

Really, I think her child is off-limits.

Funny you should say that when you link to a Daily Show clip. In that same segment, Steward interviewed Gingrich. He stated that he believes her daughter should be fair game in the discussion. Because her family has said that her having the child is her daughter's choice. But Palin is also adamantly against abortion even if it involves rape. Stewart said that is basically her saying "respect my daughter's decision...but elect me to office so that I can remove that decision from you." Meaning, she supports "choice" when it comes to her family but if she is elected she will make sure that that choice is removed from the family so that the government makes it for you.

Funny you should say that when you link to a Daily Show clip. In that same segment, Steward interviewed Gingrich. He stated that he believes her daughter should be fair game in the discussion. Because her family has said that her having the child is her daughter's choice. But Palin is also adamantly against abortion even if it involves rape. Stewart said that is basically her saying "respect my daughter's decision...but elect me to office so that I can remove that decision from you." Meaning, she supports "choice" when it comes to her family but if she is elected she will make sure that that choice is removed from the family so that the government makes it for you.

I watched that clip of Gingrich as well.

Kind of a stretch equating that situation with her actually wanting a choice.

She'd probably be fine with not having to make that choice as long at the decision was the one she felt proper or "the right thing to do".

I don't know how this ever became a bi-partisan issue..or how they ever got almost all the republicans to be "Pro Life" and almost all the democrats to be "Pro Choice"..

Or even why some people are fine with having the government have a say in something like this.

I'm guessing if they consider any kind of death at the hands of somebody other than God a sin, then if our government allows it..We are all guilty of that sin by association?

I, myself dated a girl for 6 years.

She got pregnant a month after we broke up.

I offered to take her back and raise her child as my own..But I was secretly hoping and later relieved when she aborted...Or miscaried, as she now tells it.

Still undecided on the issue..But I know I don't believe an unborn (fetus) that comes as a result of Rape is any less valuable (Or should have any fewer rights) than a fetus resulting from a one night stand.

I hate when "they" say someone doesn't believe in abortion "even in the case of rape or incest" like Stewart did on the 1st clip.

why are most democrats for abortion rights and against the death penalty? :dunno

I'll take this on. First off I'm not a Democrat, despite what some might think. But as far as the abortion issue? I have a 15 year old daughter, if she was raped {hope to God it never happens} but if she was and became impregnated by it. It would be HER's and OUR choice as to what to do about it. It's none of Palin's, Robertsons, Limbaughs, Hannity's or anybody else's business. As a method of birth control I'm not in favor of it, but again it's not any of my business what someone else does on this subject.

As far as the death penalty, I'm for it. But it needs to be stream lined, there's no question that the death penalty was been misused on a class level. Plus we've seen a number of examples of guys getting freed from death row or awaiting it because of bad prosecuting. I think it should only be handed out for a few very serious instances. Like treason, serial child molestation, serial murder and a few others.

My Parents were both Republicans, but always stressed they'd vote for the person and not the party (I think they both voted for JFK..Maybe even Carter once, but I doubt they ever confessed).

I never declared as far as I know, but I seem to be agreeing with the other side (Dems) more often than not.

My problem (curse) has always been the ability to see both sides (or more) of every issue.

Most of me agrees with your point about it not being anyone elses buisiness whether or not your Daughter would have an abortion in your example.

But I can also see why they should.

I guess it all depends on when life begins..Conception?..One of the three trimesters?..Birth?...Or sometimes my feeling..After they turn 21.

(Or 12 if you're Mormon and not a female). <_<

Just because it's Family, doesn't mean it's ok to kill your child (even teenagers).

It's similar to having a child be in a home where they are abused..Doesn't the government have the right and/or responsibility to intervene?..Then why shouldn't they have the same responsibility to protect the unborn's life?

In a perfect world, We'd all do the "right thing" and they wouldn't ever need to butt in..But we never, ever, ever resembled a perfect world.

Good point; I hadn't gone that far in the clip yet.

I still think it's unfair to focus attention on the poor kid. But Stewart has got a point: Palin is a pretty sound and thorough hypocrite if she is asking anyone to respect her daughter's right to choice while being a proponent of removing that choice for your daughter. That's something I didn't think about, and that's a very valid and important angle. The lowball angle, though, is saying that she has no values or something like that, which is what I thought was the issue.

Here's an article from 2 years ago about this issue and Palin.

Yep, I think that's the one I read (or the one I read had excerpted this one).

The Republican Party of Alaska platform says, in its section on education: "We support giving Creation Science equal representation with other theories of the origin of life. If evolution is taught, it should be presented as only a theory."

<_< Science is taught as theory, not fact; there's no need to stress that evolution be taught "only as a theory" any more than the atomic model. And what Palin and the Republican Party consistently try to do - pretend that creationism is on equal footing with the "other" theories - is pretty blind, IMO.

I think it's fine to learn about religion in schools. It's completely ridiculous to learn about religion in biology class. She's trying to pass herself off as levelheaded and balanced, when she's not. It's scary how reasonable she can seem:

• PALIN: "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. "Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject -- creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides."

Creationism does not belong in the biology classroom, period! And that's not being afraid of information.

I've gotta say I'm with zoogies on this one. And I believe Thomas Jefferson was to.

"May it be to the world, what I believe it will be, (to some parts sooner, to others later, but finally to all,) the signal of arousing men to burst the chains under which monkish ignorance and superstition had persuaded them to bind themselves, and to assume the blessings and security of self-government. All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Roger C. Weightman, June 24, 1826 (in the last letter he penned)

• 2 weeks later...

It was entertaining that Naomi Klein referred to Palin as "George Bush in drag" when she was on Bill Maher this week. Neither Palin nor Bush is the brightest bulb.

It is also a scary joke that the media was limited to "30 seconds" or less as Palin interacted with world leaders at the U.N. The McCain camp is trying to limit her exposure as much as possible for fear she will say something in the "Bush vein".

Palin at UN