Helu Is My Homeboy

The NCAA doesn't allow you to use a players likeness on anything they do not approve.

I did not know this. Just out of curiosity, what exactly are they going to do if thousands buy this shirt and never ask him permission? They can't punish the school cause it's a fan t-shirt, and I doubt law enforcement would go on a Helu t-shirt ban rampage either.

The NCAA doesn't allow you to use a players likeness on anything they do not approve.

I did not know this. Just out of curiosity, what exactly are they going to do if thousands buy this shirt and never ask him permission? They can't punish the school cause it's a fan t-shirt, and I doubt law enforcement would go on a Helu t-shirt ban rampage either.

Here's the response from the University of Nebraska.

Hi Mr. Ramirez,

Thank you for sending us this email. You are correct in your assumption that selling a t-shirt with Roy Helu’s image would violate NCAA rules. As such, our office is obligated to take steps to have the seller cease this activity.

The pertinent bylaw for this situation is listed below. If you happen to have the contact information for the seller, that would be much appreciated.

NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 - Use of a Student-Athlete's Name or Picture without Knowledge or Permission.

If a student-athlete's name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. Such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete's photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use.

Thank you for your help with this.

-Josh

Josh White

Assistant Athletics Director for

Compliance and Planning

University of Nebraska Athletics

One Memorial Stadium

Lincoln, NE 68588-0219

Phone: 402.472.7009

Fax: 402.472.4609

www.huskers.com