Helu Is My Homeboy

So, you snitched? Wow. I didn't even really like the T-shirt, but holy sh#t that's lame as hell.

First of all I would never RAT someone out to the cops but when it comes to the football team i'll sing like a f**king bird!!! After reading that Facebook fiasco with NC State I didn't want to take any chances. + I already new the bylaws because they have shut down calandar's and promotinal posters in the past

The NCAA doesn't allow you to use a players likeness on anything they do not approve.

I did not know this. Just out of curiosity, what exactly are they going to do if thousands buy this shirt and never ask him permission? They can't punish the school cause it's a fan t-shirt, and I doubt law enforcement would go on a Helu t-shirt ban rampage either.

Here's the response from the University of Nebraska.

Hi Mr. Ramirez,

Thank you for sending us this email. You are correct in your assumption that selling a t-shirt with Roy Helu’s image would violate NCAA rules. As such, our office is obligated to take steps to have the seller cease this activity.

The pertinent bylaw for this situation is listed below. If you happen to have the contact information for the seller, that would be much appreciated.

NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 - Use of a Student-Athlete's Name or Picture without Knowledge or Permission.

If a student-athlete's name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete's knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. Such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete's photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use.

Thank you for your help with this.

-Josh

Josh White

Assistant Athletics Director for

Compliance and Planning

University of Nebraska Athletics

One Memorial Stadium

Lincoln, NE 68588-0219

Phone: 402.472.7009

Fax: 402.472.4609

www.huskers.com

Yes he sucks, what a snitch. Too bad we can now make sure we have our starting IBack for the upcoming season, and you shouldn't make money off of these guys. They get screwed enough already without having their name sold for profit.

Yes he sucks, what a snitch. Too bad we can now make sure we have our starting IBack for the upcoming season, and you shouldn't make money off of these guys. They get screwed enough already without having their name sold for profit.

:lol: You really think Helu's eligibility was in jeopardy from a random fan selling a t-shirt on eBay? Trust me it wasn't.

Also, do you know how many millions of dollars are being made off of college athletes by ESPN and ABC? And you're bothered by a creative fan pulling in enough for a pizza and a movie ticket?

:lol: You really think Helu's eligibility was in jeopardy from a random fan selling a t-shirt on eBay? Trust me it wasn't.

Also, do you know how many millions of dollars are being made off of college athletes by ESPN and ABC? And you're bothered by a creative fan pulling in enough for a pizza and a movie ticket?

Really, you don't think the NCAA wouldn't do everything it could to make an example of this? Why should I trust you? You know absolutely zilch more than any of us, and much less than Josh whatever from the University compliance office.

And yes, I am absolutely bothered by the fact that one more person is trying to make money off of a bunch of kids that generate millions for others and don't get a dime back of it. Granted the education is nice, but shouldn't they get something for sacrificing their bodies for the University?

Why do you think it is okay for some "creative fan" (which I will say is used awfully loosely considering their are T shirts just like this with every celebrity known featured. i.e. Barack Obama is my Homeboy, Jesus is my Homeboy, etc.) to make money off of these kids that get nothing but then in the same sentence show an obvious disdain for the TV companies that pay millions of dollars in licensing fees to televise these games.

Just because it is the little guy doesn't make it any different, it is still wrong. I applaud the person that turned this in, if he hadn't I would have.

Helu would have never got in trouble for this unless it was proven that he was getting money from this or at the very least knew / approved the idea.

If you actually thought Helu would get in trouble than I might as well make a Sam Bradford T-Shirt acknowledging his Heisman winning year, list it as a one day auction and get it sold quick for $5 and then having someone report it to the NCAA so he gets suspended and we don't have to face him this year.

The only way a player would get in trouble from sales like this would be if they were being sold through the schools bookstore or official online shop and even then I doubt the player would be in trouble, but rather the school.

To bad you guys didn't get your orders in that wanted one.

Helu would have never got in trouble for this unless it was proven that he was getting money from this or at the very least knew / approved the idea.

If you actually thought Helu would get in trouble than I might as well make a Sam Bradford T-Shirt acknowledging his Heisman winning year, list it as a one day auction and get it sold quick for $5 and then having someone report it to the NCAA so he gets suspended and we don't have to face him this year.

The only way a player would get in trouble from sales like this would be if they were being sold through the schools bookstore or official online shop and even then I doubt the player would be in trouble, but rather the school.

To bad you guys didn't get your orders in that wanted one.

Did you read the letter? I made it larger and highlighted the part that you are arguing. That is right out of the NCAA bylaws.

For chrissakes, why is it so hard to realize that it is against the rules and that you can't and shouldn't do it. f'ing A, Cotton. f'ing A.

Ok....... First off. This thread is toast. Secondly the link will be disabled shortly. Third bootleg Ts are EVERYWHERE. Go to the flea market even here in Oklahoma there are knock of Husker shirts with players likeness on them.

Huge problem. Never going to stop even by turning one in.