Game Review
42NebraskavsRutgers24
October 25, 2014 | 11:00 AM | ESPN2
Game Preview
Nebraskavs.Purdue
A warm welcome to our visiting Boilermakers fans!
November 01, 2014 | 2:30 PM | ABC
- - - - -

Shawn Watson..the only coach left for the "worthless!" Callahan era...enough said!!!

• You cannot reply to this topic
94 replies to this topic

#1 DallasHusker

Scout Team

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

I am so sick of this worthless offence. It is not Lee, and Green is not the answer at this point. We are just a weak offence period and it is due to leadership in my opinion. The Callahan era had no "Balls" and it showed. Our offence at this point is the same way. NO BALLS AND AT THIS POINT NO HUSKER HEART!

Callahan cancer is still effecting us 2 years later.

#2 beanman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

I am so sick of this worthless offence. It is not Lee, and Green is not the answer at this point. We are just a weak offence period and it is due to leadership in my opinion. The Callahan era had no "Balls" and it showed. Our offence at this point is the same way. NO BALLS AND AT THIS POINT NO HUSKER HEART!

Agreed, although everyone is going to pin this on the head coach. <_<

#3 Eric the Red

Team HuskerBoard

• Admin
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

Watson didn't fumble 8 times

#4 Axl_sued_me

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

It was not Lee.

Sean Fisher returns a blocked FG attempt and puts us in good field position.

We have the momentum and an opportunity to harness the momentum and then guess what.

zone read.................FAIL
zone read ................FAIL

Out pattern pass..........Niles Paul sucks....but probably would not of picked up much yards anyways so...............FAIL

PUNT.

Shawn Watson could not do anything to harness the momentum.

#5 DallasHusker

Scout Team

• Members
  • 8 posts

Agreed, although everyone is going to pin this on the head coach. <_<

your right, but fumbles, bad passes, horrible reads, and stupid turnovers are effects of a undiciplined and un coached offence. that falls on the OC.

#6 Axl_sued_me

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

It was not Lee.

We have the momentum and an opportunity to harness the momentum and then guess what.

Out pattern pass..........Niles Paul sucks....but probably would not of picked up much yards anyways so...............FAIL

PUNT.

What a perfect time to get creative, but Watson cannot do that.

#7 HuskerT

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

You might be right. but in terms of Green thanks to Bo we may never know what difference he could have made.

#8 HuskerT

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

It was not Lee.

PUNT.

What a perfect time to get creative, but Watson cannot do that.

You're right, it wasn't Lee's fault alone, but he certainly is exempt from blame. I agree about Niles Paul, he was so bad today it almost looked like he was doing it on purpose.

#9 suh_fan93

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

I know there were dropped passes, penalties of both our own and missed calls that went against us but Sean Watson sucks. I was talking with a friend just now who's football opinion for the most part I respect and even he said there are high school coaches out there who could have called a better game today than Sean Watson did.

I would have to agree.

It wasn't Sean Watson's fault our receivers dropped the passes they did today but playing into Texas's hands offensively with run after run after run when Texas had everyone up on the line and passes in 3rd down situations primarily was just plain stupid.

Forget friendship. Pelini needs to let that ship sail.

That is all.
The bottom line is you've been spending a lot of time with this lady, Ron. You're a member of the Channel Four News Team.

#10 bshirt

Head Coach

• Banned
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

For the umpteenth time our WCO was stuffed like sardines ve a decent to good defense. How many decades does it take for us to figure out there's a problem?

#11 Husker_x

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

I'm so on the fence about Watson. The simple part of it is that he's never beaten anyone good. We got enough talent to roll the Washingtons of the world, but when it comes to Texas, or even Oklahoma last year, or ANY defense that has a sack, we can't even get in the freakin' endzone.

My head tells me there is no future with him as OC. I want him to succeed, but I have no reason to think he will.

Posted Image

#12 HUSKERCR

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Watson is a one dimensional thinker and his offense
is one dimensional. He can't adjust to stacked defenses.
He just keeps trying what has been shown not to work.
Martinez running ability was able to mask Watson's ineptitude for a while,
but against good defenses, the offense reverts to last year's form.

Watson's pathetic offense produced just 3 points in 3 quarters, 6 points for the entire game.
Just like last year.

Gilmore has yet to produce a receiving corps that can catch
the ball. They are consistenly bad, game in game out, year in year out.

Time for some changes in the offensive staff or we'll never get to the next level.

#13 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Watson is a one dimensional thinker and his offense
is one dimensional. He can't adjust to stacked defenses.
He just keeps trying what has been shown not to work.
Martinez running ability was able to mask Watson's ineptitude for a while,
but against good defenses, the offense reverts to last year's form.

Watson's pathetic offense produced just 3 points in 3 quarters, 6 points for the entire game.
Just like last year.

Gilmore has yet to produce a receiving corps that can catch
the ball. They are consistenly bad, game in game out, year in year out.

Time for some changes in the offensive staff or we'll never get to the next level.

+1

#14 krill

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

Funny side note about Callahan era coaches that I just happened to see on wiki:

Kevin Cosgrove (born December 27, 1955) is an American football coach, currently serving as co-defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Golden Gophers college football team. He was previously an assistant coach at Wisconsin under Barry Alvarez and Nebraska under Bill Callahan. He is best known for taking well performing defenses and transforming them into laughing stocks.

:lol:

It's hard to dispute that our offensive production has struggled mightily against decent defenses. I thought Greg Davis would be the one with his head on a pike today but it looks like he'll be getting the last laugh.
Posted Image

#15 gratefullred

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Did anyone notice that the offense ran 2 different zone reads. With Martinez in the QB attacked the Guard Tackle gap and the RB swung outside of the tackle. With Lee in the RB attacked the Center Guard gap and the QB went to the opposite Guard Tackle gap. These were the only running plays called the whole game. Martinez's play wasnt working and Lee's play was. I dont understand why Watson continued to call the outside zone read and why the change in run plays required a QB change.

I'll give credit to Wats when it came to working in the pass, but I do it with anger.

#16 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,532 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Funny...when the offense was rolling along and piling up yards and points, no mention of wanting to fire Watson. One bad game that can be placed squarely on the players shoulders and all of a sudden the Fire Wats bandwagon makes a showing
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#17 irafreak

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

[quote name='Husker_x' timestamp='1287278606' post='673965']
I'm so on the fence about Watson. The simple part of it is that he's never beaten anyone good. We got enough talent to roll the Washingtons of the world, but when it comes to Texas, or even Oklahoma last year, or ANY defense that has a sack, we can't even get in the freakin' endzone.

My head tells me there is no future with him as OC. I want him to succeed, but I have no reason to think he will.
[/quote]
He beat #1 Nebraska in 2001 :facepalm:

[quote name='HuskerfaninOakieland']
"Funny...when the offense was rolling along and piling up yards and points, no mention of wanting to fire Watson. One bad game that can be placed squarely on the players shoulders and all of a sudden the Fire Wats bandwagon makes a showing "

One bad game...seriously? This is the same argument every watson supporter makes after each bad game...
Disclaimer: Most of the time I mean nothing I say

#18 gratefullred

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Funny...when the offense was rolling along and piling up yards and points, no mention of wanting to fire Watson. One bad game that can be placed squarely on the players shoulders and all of a sudden the Fire Wats bandwagon makes a showing

Thats what happens when you cant adjust your play calling. If a play dont work, dont use that play. ZONE READ

#19 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:46 PM

Ive been saying it all along..If watson is such a good OC..then please tell me when he called a good game against a top 25 defense..Oh you mean when our offense was rolling against teams who are 65 and worse in defense? You do realize that the best defense we played before this game was kansas state..and they ranked 65TH..Maybe if you really payed attenton to watson's playcalling, you would recognize he doesnt adjust to good defense..he continues to run his offense even though ts not working and he doesnt mix it up. But since hes such a good OC im sure you could mention a game in which he called a good game against a top 25 D..pleae inform me when we called a good gameplan against a good d...ill be waiting.

#20 Hunter94

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

well, i sure wasn't praising Wats, he found a kid and a zone read that worked, until they were defensed, then he got his ass handed to him because he had no other scheme ready to counter....poor coach...it lasted until we met a team with lateral pursuit and well coached.

#21 HUSKERCR

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Classic Definition of Insanity:

The expectation's that the same inputs to a system will produce different outputs.

Apparently some of our posters have forgotten all about Watson's past performances.
Watson's offense has failed multiple times the last 2 years.
SDS or 2009 ring any bells?

LOL! I remember seeing the same lame excuses trying to
explain away Elmo's blind "don't look for the ball" secondary coverages.

#22 Hunter94

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Ive been saying it all along..If watson is such a good OC..then please tell me when he called a good game against a top 25 defense..Oh you mean when our offense was rolling against teams who are 65 and worse in defense? You do realize that the best defense we played before this game was kansas state..and they ranked 65TH..Maybe if you really payed attenton to watson's playcalling, you would recognize he doesnt adjust to good defense..he continues to run his offense even though ts not working and he doesnt mix it up. But since hes such a good OC im sure you could mention a game in which he called a good game against a top 25 D..pleae inform me when we called a good gameplan against a good d...ill be waiting.

agreed.

#23 HuskerfaninOkieland

Legend

• Members
  • 14,532 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Some of you guys are getting worked up over my comments for no reason. No where did I say I was a Watson supporter. I was merely mentioning that prior to this game, all season, no one has mentioned anything about wanting Wats fired. One bad game THIS SEASON and all of a sudden the Fire Wats momentum kicks off. :facepalm: :facepalm:
"hey guys this is apublic cervice announcrymny.

i came in kinda late and chose to watch aome tevlision. a someone left a box of htese chewy chips ahoy on thetable near the table near the television. i never had one before so i had a cookie now i did. i did ant realize that i was keept keating them. like i had no clue. it was all ofer shocked when i realized i had finished a holy sleeve. they snook up on me. htey are not even that tastya but they have a lat of calories and fats so it is hardly even wort it. anywa i hope this helps becuause i feel the real sh#t abot this.';

manhats"

Manhattan
15 Sept 2010
02:29 AM
Posted Image

#24 gratefullred

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Did anyone notice that the offense ran 2 different zone reads. With Martinez in the QB attacked the Guard Tackle gap and the RB swung outside of the tackle. With Lee in the RB attacked the Center Guard gap and the QB went to the opposite Guard Tackle gap. These were the only running plays called the whole game. Martinez's play wasnt working and Lee's play was. I dont understand why Watson continued to call the outside zone read and why the change in run plays required a QB change.

I'll give credit to Wats when it came to working in the pass, but I do it with anger.

I want to put this on here once more, because I think it is absolutely ridiculous.

#25 huskerfan333157

Backup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Some of you guys are getting worked up over my comments for no reason. No where did I say I was a Watson supporter. I was merely mentioning that prior to this game, all season, no one has mentioned anything about wanting Wats fired. One bad game THIS SEASON and all of a sudden the Fire Wats momentum kicks off. :facepalm: :facepalm:

I wasnt ever a supportive of him, I was giving him one more chance in a big game to prove me wrong. But, as always, he ddnt adjust and crapped down his pants. He has never been good against top 25 defenses, so I thought maybe if he had his personnel he liked that he could maybe make adjustments down the stretch....but that didnt happen

#26 HUSKERCR

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Ever hear of the South Dakota State game THIS SEASON? 17-3 ring any bells?

FYI, we're not getting worked up.
We're merely pointing out you don't know what you're talking about, that's all.

Nothing personal. Strictly business.

#27 Landlord of Memorial Stadium

Legend

• Members
  • 10,408 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'll help you, but since I don't have past defensive statistics in front of me I'll just go with top 25 teams in general:

'08 Virginia Tech
'08 Texas Tech
'08 Oklahoma (first play of the game withstanding)
'09 Virginia Tech (we were running all over them, and if Lee could have put the ball anywhere NEAR our receivers they were wide open)
'09 Missouri (see above, playcalling was pretty solid, execution was the worst I've seen, until the 4th quarter. Let's compromise and say this was a decent quarter and a half of good playcalling vs a top 25 team.)
'09 Oklahoma (went into ultra conservative mode, but we won, I guess it's a toss-up)
'09 Holiday Bowl vs. Arizona

Posted Image

#28 zoogies

Legend

• Mods
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Our struggles this year are coming from Taylor and not Watson. We all knew Taylor was going to have freshman games. I guess people just expected 400 yards of offensive output even when that happened. Fans have a hard time dealing in reality sometimes. We ASKED for this, clamoring for Taylor to start. So we'll get games like KSU and Washington, and we'll get games like SDSU and Texas.

Watson continues to be vilified solely for the Callahan connection, because it makes people want to see fault in him. Even when Callahan's problems were as a HC, not as an offensive mind.

2w7mzox.png

#29 kansas husker

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

That is how this apperantly works, if the team has success than Watson has nothing to do with it. However if there are struggles than they all fall on his shoulders. It is so obvious that if we were to fire wats than all of the problmes with fumbles, drops, and penalties will go away instantly.
Posted Image
sig made by miamihrrcns2001

#30 DaveH

Team HuskerBoard

• Admin
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

I thought Watson called a good game. Plays were there to be made and they didn't get made. I don't think you can ask too much more of a coach. Put your players in position to win.

#31 shpadoinklehusker

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

I disagree with your statement, there are 11 players who needed to execute with precision and work as a team. The players did not execute the system well enough. This premature assessment of Watson is completely wrong. You have to be patient. This system will work when the Huskers start executing it with precision. We still have a lot of games to play and I believe that the coaches will get this problem fixed.

Rest In Peace Rough Sailing

Have a Shpadoinkle day!!!

#32 Danimal

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:03 PM

I had frustrations with Watson, just didn't seem like we weren't prepped to deal with and couldn't adjust to what Texas did to our rush game. But when a D like Texas's really focuses on the run and leaves the pass open you better be able to pass. We couldn't, and it was partly on TM but mainly on receivers throughout the game dropping the damn ball. When guys drop three td-passes and another that would've gotten us close to another td I can't just place blame on Wats. Maybe if we catch the passes Texas loosens up a bit and we're able to run some.

Plenty of blame to go around from top to bottom.

#33 huKSer

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

I think Watson is a fine coach

Signed

Kevin Cosgrove
"They should run a QB sneak. There's no reason to run anything that takes time to develop."
__________________---Ed Cunningham, football genius, comment 5 seconds before the longest pass in FBS bowl history.

#34 HUSKERCR

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

I also think Watson is a fine coach.
He is outstanding in all aspects.

The players just need to execute his vision.

-Bill Callahan

#35 NUance

Legend

• Members
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

Yeah, that damn Shawn Watson. He put Vasolene on the gloves of the WRs before the game.

:facepalm:
Just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came. And the grasshopper died. And the octopus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.
Posted Image

#36 bshirt

Head Coach

• Banned
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:10 AM

SW's brilliant multiple offense got us.....

1. "6" points vs Texas

2. "12" points vs Texas last year

3. "10" points vs OU last year

We're talking a grand combined total of "one" TD (where we started on their 5 yd line due to turnover) for those three games. What more could any fan want?

#37 holvy83

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

The OC is only as good as the 11 players that have to execute the plays, and the only ones that executed with this offense was the guys wearing white! Martinez made bad reads all day, the line was getting smoked and receivers should not have eaten popcorn before the game. Texas also won the battle of field position, the D did not put any pressure on the QB and gave up too many long plays and penalties. Overall the entire team lost the game, if you want to put pressure on Watson, you just as well point to Pelini also. They all got out coached.
http://Posted Image

#38 knapplc

Legend

• Mods
  • 31,935 posts

HB Donor Silver

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Our struggles this year are coming from Taylor and not Watson.

What? Martinez didn't lose us this game, our receivers lost the game. We were in position to score multiple touchdowns under Martinez. There is no justification for making this statement.

clEdF.png

skin_fetch.jpg

#39 zoogies

Legend

• Mods
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Our team lost us this game. You can point to isolated drops by receivers, but you can also point to times where Taylor killed drives with his decision-making and throwing behind the receiver. You could also point to coaches and Lee for some of the miscues at the end, with the timeout and the onside. And you can point to the defense, for failing to make the stops when they needed to. It was just a very deflated effort, on the whole.

Not about this game though. This year, the thing that has been holding us back is Taylor's progression as a QB. Against D's that can't keep pace with him, it doesn't matter because he will smoke them out of the water. That doesn't change that Taylor is holding us back in some important categories. I guess that's poorly worded, as it is more of a prediction than a statement regarding struggles to date.

None of this is really a case of "look what we saw; this changes things, and so we now draw this conclusion." It's more like, we knew what we were getting into with Taylor, and we are starting to see some of those weaknesses highlighted. The existence of those weaknesses is on Taylor, and not on Watson failing to coach up his QB properly. That's what I meant. Not saying Taylor isn't talented or that he doesn't have potential, or that he can't do some tremendous things. But in this offense he is also the limiting reagent. When he goes, we can really go. But he's not that consistent yet, and when he can't go, we are screwed.

2w7mzox.png

#40 74Hunter

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

This. It was apparent early (should have been seen on the UCLA/tu game films) that if you ran straight at tu's D, you could get yards. Yet Watson keep running the slow developing zone read that got stuffed time after time.

Barney's O-line played pretty decent against a pretty good D-Line, but the plays called did not allow the offense to thrive.

Oh, that and the WR's can't catch a ball. Who's the other C********n holdover, oh yeah, the WR coach. Both can take the next train outta Lincoln as far as I'm concerned.

#41 bshirt

Head Coach

• Banned
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

This. It was apparent early (should have been seen on the UCLA/tu game films) that if you ran straight at tu's D, you could get yards. Yet Watson keep running the slow developing zone read that got stuffed time after time.

Barney's O-line played pretty decent against a pretty good D-Line, but the plays called did not allow the offense to thrive.

Oh, that and the WR's can't catch a ball. Who's the other C********n holdover, oh yeah, the WR coach. Both can take the next train outta Lincoln as far as I'm concerned.

I'll gladly pay for both of their tickets.

#42 74Hunter

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

For as much as tu fans dislike Greg Davis, at least he could figure out how to attack our defense, which is something that Watson couldn't do against tu's defense. I'd trade Watson for Davis any day of the week.

And I'm tired of hearing about how great Watson's offense was against our defense in 2001. That was more about a blind squirrel finding a nut, not some genius plan that he conconcted.

#43 sd'sker

Legend

• Members
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I thought Watson called a good game. Plays were there to be made and they didn't get made. I don't think you can ask too much more of a coach. Put your players in position to win.

i think you are right. and why keep bringing up callahan? he was under callahan one year, this is his third year under bo. not too mention, the offense was never the problem under callahan.

SD'SKER, HUSKERBOARD'S FIRST AND ONLY FRANCHISE POSTER.
av-7084.jpg14-ST_zps5c750025.jpg14-STALT_zps6ee39b41.jpgN9UE.jpg
--Anyone in any walk of life who is content with mediocrity is untrue to himself and to American tradition. -Patton

#44 suh_fan93

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

I disagree with your statement, there are 11 players who needed to execute with precision and work as a team. The players did not execute the system well enough. This premature assessment of Watson is completely wrong. You have to be patient. This system will work when the Huskers start executing it with precision. We still have a lot of games to play and I believe that the coaches will get this problem fixed.

'Our system' is exactly what the problem is against good competition and I'm not just talking about the game this weekend. I always remember Steve Young saying that the NFL wasn't a players league but that it was actually a 'coaches' league meaning teams who are successful aren't necessarily 'successful' because of star players but moreso because of coaching, scheme and the 'system' in which the players are operating.

Watson's offense doesn't give a defense a lot to think about and as in the Texas game for example throw in some dropped balls, fumbles, penalties what have you it just makes things ten times worse. It's shocking to me that other people don't believe this to be true. People need to realize that the 'system' and/or scheme your running is in essence a strategy. The bottom line is that a predictable strategy can equal defeat against a talented and savvy opponent. You need more than just a plan 'A' when things aren't working.

I hear coach Pelini calling himself out all of the time when our team plays lousy. Our offensive coordinator should have done this last year when we had the 99th ranked offense in the country coupled with the nations best defense. Regardless of what other people think even if we had beaten Texas my opinions about Watson would still be the same. It goes well beyond the Texas game. We may get lucky and win out the rest of our games but I cannot help in thinking we should be a much better team offensively (last year included) and that in the big picture the bulk of it isn't necessarily the players faults for their lack of success vs good teams.
The bottom line is you've been spending a lot of time with this lady, Ron. You're a member of the Channel Four News Team.

#45 quitou

Scout Team

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:48 PM

Let’s be honest… this isn’t about the team. In some ways it is, but you still have to remember that we’re watching groups of college kids play a sport. I don’t have a problem if the kids don’t have what it takes to win, but that’s not what we saw last game. What we saw was a team that wasn’t prepared to play; we’ve seen them play their hearts out, but for some reason they weren’t there on Saturday. And that’s the coach’s and coordinators’ job to get them ready.

I’m seeing a tragic symptom with Shawn Watson. Ever since he’s been the OC of the Huskers, there’s been at least one game a year where the offense was just unprepared to play. Last year it was Iowa State at home. This year it was the last game and the embarrassing SDSU game. Shawn has floated along with his coaching capacity for a while, but I’m really getting sick and tired of watching his offense get embarrassed once or twice a year due to nothing but what seems like poor preparation. The Pelinis can stay; their defense has at least been consistent all year long and doesn’t self-destruct on national TV.

My vote for concern is that Shawn Watson isn’t a consistent OC, and the Huskers need to remove the last clinging members of the Callahan era soon. If you don't think it's Watson, then riddle me this... why is it only the offense that wets the bed when NE has lost in embarrassing fashion lately?

#46 zoogies

Legend

• Mods
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

I’m seeing a tragic symptom with Shawn Watson. Ever since he’s been the OC of the Huskers, there’s been at least one game a year where the offense was just unprepared to play. Last year it was Iowa State at home. This year it was the last game and the embarrassing SDSU game.

Honestly against SDSU and Texas it is more of a whole staff thing. The lack of discipline or skills from our WRs has been going on for some time from guys not named Swift/Peterson and Purify, and it's really time to take Gilmore to task for the attitude and mentality of the WR corps he's been putting out for us. Here's an area that is playing way below potential, and it isn't for lack of ability.

Watson's offense doesn't give a defense a lot to think about

Ah. Now we are not complex or multiple enough.

2w7mzox.png

#47 suh_fan93

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'm seeing a tragic symptom with Shawn Watson. Ever since he's been the OC of the Huskers, there's been at least one game a year where the offense was just unprepared to play. Last year it was Iowa State at home. This year it was the last game and the embarrassing SDSU game.

Honestly against SDSU and Texas it is more of a whole staff thing. The lack of discipline or skills from our WRs has been going on for some time from guys not named Swift/Peterson and Purify, and it's really time to take Gilmore to task for the attitude and mentality of the WR corps he's been putting out for us. Here's an area that is playing way below potential, and it isn't for lack of ability.

Watson's offense doesn't give a defense a lot to think about

Ah. Now we are not complex or multiple enough.

I wouldn't call our offense complex in the very least. Multiple to me means mixing things up when the situation calls for it. Another epic fail there as well. Again this is just my opinion. Not upset in the least if others don't share that opinion but mine's sure not going to change unless he proves me wrong otherwise.

#48 HUSKERCR

Travel Squad

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

“They (Texas) just ran their defense.“They ran what they do. They ran heavy fronts (five linemen). At the same time, when we made some adjustments we were able to chink it, too".

-Shawn Watson as quoted in today's OWH

"When we made some adjustments, we were able to chink it...."??!!!????

The only adjustment I saw was putting Zac Lee in late in the third quarter when the game was already as good as lost.

If Watson thinks scoring a lone field goal after his "adjustments" qualifies as "chinking" the Texas defense,
he's in cloud coocoo land.

#49 Malth

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

This loss isn't really Watson's fault. I get frustrated at his playcalling sometimes, but games like this it came down to a complete lack of execution. TMart kept making bad reads which is a good part why the run game wasn't there. Then you have to look at the several good calls where he basically had a touchdown, and the receivers just kept dropping it.

We shoulda hung 35+ on them and won with the playcalling we had.

#50 Eric the Red

Team HuskerBoard

• Admin
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thats what happens when you cant adjust your play calling. If a play dont work, dont use that play. ZONE READ

The zone read is just like the old "I" option. It's assignment football. On the zone read the defense must make the correct play, be in the correct position, make the tackle ever time or face Martinez taking it to the house. On Saturday, for the most part Texas made the play everytime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users