What would be the response to a beheading by ISIS on our soil?

Logically, it should be the exact same response as when any other murderer kills someone.

Unfortunately the media would hype it out of all proportion (and a certain faction of political opportunists would wail about feckless weakness) and we'd probably end up sending in ground troops. Yay.

• Fire 3

I'm not sure what the context of them being able to do a beheading at the locations listed but I would think that it would be difficult for them to do it. I think people would stand up in defense of the person to be beheaded.

I think if they somehow got away with it, TGHuskers statement is probably close to what would happen afterwards.

As horrified employees watched, Nolen, a 30-year-old production line worker with a criminal history, savagely sawed at Hufford's throat with a large kitchen knife he had gone home to retrieve, severing her head.

. . .

Police said they were investigating reports that Nolen had been trying to recruit co-workers to Islam, a detail that has fueled concerns about a terror link. And Mashburn said Nolan apparently yelled out phrases in Arabic as he was carrying out the attacks, though the D.A.'s office is still investigating exactly what was said.
Law enforcement officials have acknowledged that Nolen's extremist views probably influenced how he targeted his co-workers. "Obviously, there was some sort of infatuation with beheading," Mashburn told reporters. But, he reiterated, the attack still seems to have been driven more by the disagreement about race than by religion.

Not ISIS, but rather a copy-cat beheading by a deranged man who happens to be Muslim.